autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally, gas in So Cal is going down

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Why does gas drop drastically by the barrel but doesn't ever seem to show up at the pump?
    There's a good amount of state/federal taxes that get tacked on to the pump price. TN is on the lower side with 46 cents/gal. CA is 87 cents.

Besides that, the gas station owners set the price at the pump so they could be making more margin. Also if the price has dropped since they had gasoline delivered, they wouldn't necessarily drop the pump price as quickly because what they're selling cost them more.

2. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I paid $3.54 yesterday in Palmer Alaska

$3.69 is about average

Shell stations are at $3.99 and I always wonder why they are consistently 20-40 cents more a gallon and why people would pay that much

I know they are a "top tier" gas but at least in Alaska, the same truck that delivers their gas stops at the Holiday station down the road and fills their tanks too

I know the "top tier" station in Hawaii where we lived would dump in their proprietary additives after the tanks were filled and I guess that's an extra cost but 40 cents a gallon is a significant price difference

My son was saying a newer brand of gas stations that is expanding in the area "has the worst gas" but again, it all comes out of the same tanks at the tank farm so not sure how one is measurably different than another

IDK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Last I saw, the regular gasoline crack was negative. Diesel is still positive though.
    Diesel is where the money is at at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

While gas prices are dropping a bit in my area, they about to take a big jump on 1 Jan. For the last year or so, the state suspended a new gas tax increase as part of an economic relief effort when prices went nuts. That time is running out.

Right now it's about $3.50~$3.79 in my local area. However, prices are all over the map. I can drive 15 miles in any direction and save $0.10 ~ $0.30 a gallon...sometimes more. Getting gas at our local Sam's Club will save me $1.00 a gallon. My closest Costco isn't an option due to being too far away for routine use.

What really doesn't make sense is I can drive 20 miles across state lines to Missouri and save about $0.90 a gallon despite the tax difference only being about $0.25 and the fact the fuel is coming from the same local refineries which I believe are all on the Illinois side of the boarder and roughly equal distance between refineries/storage and the gas stations. Needless to say, I find excuses to drive across town to get the cheap gas.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    What really doesn't make sense is I can drive 20 miles across state lines to Missouri and save about $0.90 a gallon despite the tax difference only being about $0.25 and the fact the fuel is coming from the same local refineries which I believe are all on the Illinois side of the boarder and roughly equal distance between refineries/storage and the gas stations. Needless to say, I find excuses to drive across town to get the cheap gas.
    Looks like the tax difference may be about $0.40/gallon, unless that has something to do with the economic relief effort
    https://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-...s/gasoline-tax

I usually buy in NJ as it's cheaper than PA. NJ taxes are only 8 cents cheaper but gas is usually 20-30 cents cheaper. I have noticed that when the price approaches a milestone like $4.00/gallon, etc., that price difference decreases as stations in NJ resist putting that '4' on their signs.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what that site shows is what was approved and signed into law, but suspended this summer.

Even if the full amount was implemented, I still wonder why there is such a big difference. Even during the huge spike in prices this summer the difference was consistently .25 ~.30. These days it's around .90, and if you find the lucky station it's a full $1 a gallon cheaper. At one point the gap was actually wider because prices on the Missouri side of the river were falling with the national average while prices remained static far longer in my area.

I've lived here over 15 years and never seen prices behave like this.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what that site shows is what was approved and signed into law, but suspended this summer.

Even if the full amount was implemented, I still wonder why there is such a big difference. Even during the huge spike in prices this summer the difference was consistently .25 ~.30. These days it's around .90, and if you find the lucky station it's a full $1 a gallon cheaper. At one point the gap was actually wider because prices on the Missouri side of the river were falling with the national average while prices remained static far longer in my area.

That's because Big Oil is stomping on Let's Go Brandon, and basically doing whatever they want to show him their displeasure with banning/blocking pipelines, and restricting drilling.

But it doesn't hurt Brandon, it hurts the public. But neither Big Oil OR Brandon give two sh!ts about the public.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    That's because Big Oil is stomping on Let's Go Brandon, and basically doing whatever they want to show him their displeasure with banning/blocking pipelines, and restricting drilling.

But it doesn't hurt Brandon, it hurts the public. But neither Big Oil OR Brandon give two sh!ts about the public.
    The things I was talking about have nothing to do with politics. The strange events are very localized and involve privately owned, franchised gas stations. They are not corporate owned. What's happening in a 10-mile radius of where I live can't be explained by different state fuel tax rates (the differences are half the price difference seen) or price gouging by oil companies (all of the stations buy fuel from the same local refineries which charge the same prices to all the stations buying their product).

In the past, there was a pattern. Most of the local gas was the similar in price in the state until you got up north to Chicago. Going west, the difference in price in Missouri was relative to the tax rate difference, and it got even cheaper when you got into Oklahoma. Today, that pattern still exists, EXCEPT for my local area (10~15 miles). The prices in central/southern Illinois, Chicago, Missouri, and Oklahoma have the same relative price difference spread they always have. Nothing has really changed and is exactly like it has been for over a decade. It's only the area right around me that can't be explained.

If there is an conspiracy to blame it's a handful of greedy franchise owners running the local gas stations who are trying to make record profits off the cheaper gas they are buying for the refinery. The best evidence for this is Sam's club. They are selling fuel for $0.80 cheaper than any gas station for miles around. It's illegal to sell fuel below cost, so they (like Costco) will sell it at minimal mark-up and make the profits in volume. Meanwhile the local stations are selling gas purchased at the same price as Sam's, but with a much larger mark up and larger profits which makes the prices an anomoly when compared with the rest of the region.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get this either. There are certain parts of town where gas is almost a dollar cheaper per gallon
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

I think it's the service station owners doing this. Why wouldn't they? Everyone is getting away with murder under this admin.
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

13. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast