autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2022 Tail of the Dragon trip, 19th year!

So I completed my 19th year in a row of going down to the Dragon and surrounding roads, time flies!

This year I took my g/f and we stayed at Dragon City I'm Maryville TN 2 nights and then down to my buddy's place in Decatur TN the last 2 nights.

We left right after work on Oct 4th and drove for a bit and got a room. I did this so we didn't have to get up and get going so early, a little more of a relaxed go.

October 5th was basically the "travel day" and we had no issues, weather was great! The usual construction zones but +5 mph w/cruize on netted me 38.4 on the first leg and then surprisingly 39.8 mpg through KY and through TN! I'm surprised because of the noticeable elevation change here and usually the mileage goes down but like I said some construction zones. A number of times I had to "go around" those who don't know freeway etiquette, so the "century mark" flashed itself a number of times, LOL.

Once there we unpacked the EN and went out and got some dinner at Poncho's Mexican restaurant in Maryville TN. This place is a little jewel, you wouldn't expect great Mexican food out there but it truely is! On the way back I took my g/f on the end of the Dragon to the Overlook, just for a "taste". Afterwards we headed back and got to bed as the next day would have us in the car ALL day.

So Thursday we got up and headed to Tellico Plains TN for breakfast @ The Tellico Bakery. This is now my go to for breakfast as the Town Square restaurant was closed a couple yrs ago due to the owner passing away, I'll always remember how nice he was and the great food we had there over the years!!

After breakfast we topped off the tank and I ran the EN through an old but good enough touch-free wash, the only wash of the trip mind you. We then headed up the Cherahola Skyway and stopped at a number of pull offs along the way for pics.

Our next stop was the Cherahola Market in Robinsville NC for bathroom break and light snack and chill time, up next we head towards the Dragon!

We passed Fugitive Dam and made the uphill S T E E P turn to head towards Deal's Gap for lunch, souvenirs and check out what's in the lot. We then walked across the street to Killboys store and chatted with some enthusiasts there as well.

Waiting to run the Dragon as late as possible we went up route 28 aka Moonshiners and headed for the Fontana Dam, the largest dam E of the Mississippi River...DAMNMy 2022 Tail of the Dragon trip, 19th year!️This is a staple of the trip as the road going to the base and top of the Dam rivals the Dragon without a doubt IMO. My g/f is afraid of heights, even more than me and couldn't even look out and over the top of the observatory or the bridge, it's 480' high.

It was now time to run the Dragon and it didn't disappoint, no issues and more importantly NO COPS My 2022 Tail of the Dragon trip, 19th year! We stopped at the Overlook but this time during the day, more great views! We continued back to our place where I waited for my buddy that I hadn't seen in 12 yrs and the 4 of us went to Poncho's for dinner.

Friday morning we packed up the EN and the 4 of us had breakfast at the on-site restaurant. Once done I had them follow us out to the Foothills Parkway and back down. Then out through the Dragon, Fontana Dam and across the Cherahola Skyway and into Tellico for a late lunch at the Tellico Bakery where we went our own ways.

We then headed down to Decatur TN to my buddy's place where I parked the EN till Sunday morning, someone else does the driving now. The 4 of us headed to Champy's in Chattanooga TN for dinner and then up to the hill for Lookout Mountain. We then headed back to their place and retired for the night, long day coming up Saturday.

Come Saturday we had breakfast and headed to Helen GA for Oktoberfest! This town is slice of Germany and couldn't miss lunch at Heildelburg, a small line but always worth it. We walked around a bit and headed out and the line to get into town was a MILE, good thing we got there early!

Sunday was our travel day back but first had a nice breakfast and headed out. The temps were 37 degrees and the Michelin Sport 4S' don't do well in that temp so I took it easy, especially since the freeway goes through the mountains. We did make a stop to see my g/f's friend in Evansville IN @Cheddars, pretty decent food. I should mention my mileage was identical to the trip down, I swear pushing the ECO button turns the 300 hp EN into a Prius, LOL.

So the 19th annual trip is in the books and we did a total of 1,960 miles (no driving on Sat at all) and I'm looking forward to next year's trip...TWO DECADES My 2022 Tail of the Dragon trip, 19th year!...stay "tuned".

Now...for the pics:

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes dgage, MadMerc, Big Dave, PaulMys, SNP209 and 7 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 2022 Tail of the Dragon trip, 19th year!

Coolest thing we saw during the trip, it's built on a Dodge Durango!

4. Likes dgage, MadMerc, Big Dave, PaulMys, DFB and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honda Club was down there, plus others! The Civic wagon had a rear mounted turbo...sleeeeeper! The FRS w/ the Scion badge...2.4L Honda engine with intercooled turbo, makes 500 whp My 2022 Tail of the Dragon trip, 19th year!

6. Likes dgage, MadMerc, Big Dave, PaulMys, opie and 4 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fontana Dam area!

8. Likes dgage, MadMerc, Big Dave, PaulMys, opie and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Various rides and our home for a couple days!

10. Likes dgage, Big Dave, PaulMys, DFB, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finishing up!

The EN after the trip and VERY intense clean upMy 2022 Tail of the Dragon trip, 19th year!

12. Likes dgage, MadMerc, Big Dave, PaulMys, opie and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME!!!!!!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

14. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool, maybe some day ill get to experience it in real life and not just through your yearly trip treads lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

16. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pics and great trip! Weather looked perfect! Glad the ride performed admirably and looks great! Thanks for sharing!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

18. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had a great time, so awesome.

20. Likes Klasse Act, dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast