autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vehicle registration costs

I renewed my vehicle registration for the FJ today. I got to wondering what we all get charged for our vehicle registrations, just curiosity.

In my state, New South Wales, Australia, it costs me $556 to the state government, and $289.03 for the "green slip", which is for 3rd party insurance to cover personal injury to others if I'm at fault in an accident. This insurance is compulsory, and you can't pay your renewal if the green slip isn't paid already. There's also the vehicle inspection, which is mandatory for vehicles over 5 years old, this costs $43, and the FJ passed easily, which I hope all our vehicles would. So the grand total is $888.03.

As a side note, old age pensioners get free registration in NSW, so my mum only has to pay the green slip and vehicle inspection costs to register her Qashqai, which is cool.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

2. Likes Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vehicle registration costs

Varies per state in the US. Here in Pennsylvania a passenger vehicle pays $39/year for registration. Annual inspections can vary a little but I’d say ranges from $50 to $80. Insurance is all over the place so better not give any figures there.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Varies per state in the US. Here in Pennsylvania a passenger vehicle pays $39/year for registration. Annual inspections can vary a little but I’d say ranges from $50 to $80. Insurance is all over the place so better not give any figures there.
    Wow, so much cheaper, maybe that's why we have much better roads over here. Oh wait, no we don't.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

6. Likes PouncingPanzer, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Ohio and have personalized plates(always) and I renew for two-year intervals, runs me around $280 I think the last time I got plates. Will be due this November, I think. I suspect like everything else prices have gone up.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

8. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now I pay $151 for a passenger vehicle. Quite surprising considering how much Illinois loves to tax it's citizens. They get their pound of flesh elsewhere. Inspections vary by where you live in the state. Some have it, some don't. In my area, you only have to do it every three years and only on cars 5 years and older. Fortunately it's free and only amounts to an OBDII scan.

Agree on insurance, in the US the variables are nearly endless depending on the company and where you live. I remember long ago having a friend who lived in an apartment complex across the street from mine and he paid nearly 25% more for insurance than I did (same company). The difference? The street was a dividing line between two municipalities and he was in the one with the higher crime rate.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Colorado there’s a sliding scale depending on what the MSRP was and how old the vehicle is. So new & expensive cars are all of the $$$$. And my several year old cars are around $150.

That $ is used to keep the city & state parks and open spaces maintained. I hate giving gov any credit but by-and-large all those areas are pretty well kept

12. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got done renewing. $92 for my truck. 2 years is $184 no savings.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

14. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

$65 each to renew our cars per year. No inspections. I wish there were as we have older cars spewing smoke out the back and many vehicles with really loud (backfiring) exhausts.

We have a pair of 19 year olds (boy and girl) driving on our insurance so it is expensive.

16. Likes chilly, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

30 bucks for pa inspection, no emissions needed in my county.

Vehicle insurance is actually pretty fare priced now, but only after we kicked state farm to the curb years ago.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

18. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    $65 each to renew our cars per year. No inspections. I wish there were as we have older cars spewing smoke out the back and many vehicles with really loud (backfiring) exhausts.
    At times I miss the safety and smog inspections I've seen in other states/countries. I frequently see vehicles on the road which can't be safe. They are spewing smoke, body panels held on with rope/duct tape, suspension collapsed on one or more corners. They are a danger to the driver and anyone around them. The vehicle doesn't need to be ready to take on track duty, but should be able to safely turn, stop, and not shed large pieces of sheet metal as it goes down the road.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

20. Likes opie, chilly, Big Dave, dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast