autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I could really use my Dad right now.

Things are BAD at work right now. Really bad. I am set to retire March 31, 2023, but I called in September to see if I could retire NOW. The "good news?" The earliest they could process me out is November 30th 2022. The "bad news?" Retiring just 4 months early, would LOWER my monthly check $1,200 ($14,400/year).

God bless my wife. She KNOWS what I'm going through because it's also affecting my home life, my hobbies and my interests. But instead of telling me I COULDN'T retire now, the money difference is too great, SHE TOLD ME: "We made it work before on less, we can make it work now." I actually DID try to retire, when I called my retirement system, they told me I could do it all on line. I tried FOUR times to fill out the paperwork, but discovered there was a glitch in the system, THAT WOULDN'T LET ME COMPLETE THE PROCESS. I had a three-way call with my employer and my retirement system and was told the glitch would be fixed in a few days, to try again. So I waited and tried again. I STILL was not able to complete the process, the glitch was still there. Then they told me they would send out the hard copies of the forms and I could complete them and mail/fax them back.

SOMEONE or SOMETHING doesn't want me to retire yet, because before I received the paperwork, my doctor stepped in and took me off work, because the toxic/hostile environment was negatively affecting my health - this is what he told my employer. This was put into immediate effect on September 30th until MINIMUM October 27th, when he will reevaluate my condition. I have applied for, and most likely will be covered under the Family Medical Leave Act for short-term disability.

So from the looks of things, I will probably be off until around November 1st. Knowing my employer though, once MY doctor clears me, my employer will then put me on Administrative Leave until I'm cleared by THEIR doctor. That should be interesting, because I'm going to spill my guts about EVERYTHING.

I could really use being able to talk to my dad. I'm in uncharted territory. I'm on a medical leave for something *I* did not start, but I will finish it. My interests and hobbies are GONE. I have no desire to DO anything. TV, movies and books don't interest me at all. My car needs a clutch, a wheel bearing and is in "Limp Home Mode" right now and will not go over 3,000 rpms, which makes it almost impossible to drive. My 1st estimate was for $4,200 for everything + an oil change. I posted about it on a few Camaro forums and the flak I'm getting for "Not getting a 2nd opinion" is UNREAL. Truth is, I AM getting a 2nd opinion. It just took me a while to find a reputable shop to do it. I finally was recommended a local shop through my Camaro Club, but the appointment isn't until the 24th of this month.

My sleep is totally screwed up. I'm literally "falling down tired" by 5:00/5:30 pm and I'm getting up between 2 and 4 am, WIDE AWAKE. Of course, I'm worrying about my job most of the time, I mean come on, I've ONLY got just over 5 months left, it shouldn't be this hard.

I really wish Dad was here to talk to.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Thanks dgage thanked for this post
    Likes bill walsh, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I could really use my Dad right now.

I am sorry you are going thru a rough season. You have listed many obstacles. Sometimes when the chips seem to be all stacked against you a good thing to do is help others. Find a local homeless shelter and offer to help one night a week. Find a neighbor who needs help taking out their garbage. Volunteer at your local church. If it gets too heavy, certainly seek professional help. Prayers sent brother. This to will pass.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

4. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, bill walsh, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    If it gets too heavy, certainly seek professional help. Prayers sent brother. This to will pass.
    Who do you think took me off work? LOL My Dr wanted me out of there THREE YEARS AGO!! BUT, I promised my dad, I would try to stick it out before he passed. It's been bad for 8 years, but I NEVER saw THIS coming.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Companies can be REAL bad-- greedy bad & VERY unfair across the board with people & the bigger company they are the worse they are in these areas. I retired about 8 months short of full retirement and they shorted me $800 per month.
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

7. Likes Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Companies can be REAL bad-- greedy bad & VERY unfair across the board with people & the bigger company they are the worse they are in these areas. I retired about 8 months short of full retirement and they shorted me $800 per month.
    It's not so much that my employer is greedy. Rather, it's more hostile, vindictive and harassment driven. Sounds like you had it a bit better than I do. You only lost $100/month for going out early. I'm losing $1,200/month if I go out early. I am also the sole provider for a disabled family of 4 adults. My wife felt we could manage on $14,400 less a year, but *I* can't do that to her, or my sons.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

9. Thanks bill walsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

$800 per month / $9,600 per year

Its all not right though- not even close to being fairly pro-rated
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

11. Likes Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don, what's going on over there?

I see a few people around me that have also had bad work environments.

I may seem tough, but you've been there this long. March isn't too far away from now, and after that they will be in the past. I hope you have the strength and power to blast through the remainder of your time there.

13. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes luckydawg, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i was set to retire January 2022 when i lost my dad suddenly he was more looking for me to retire then i was due to health reasons my wife has been disable for 20 years my last job really bad had issues with foreman when i would come home i didn't want to do anything with her or my grandkids Don sorry you are going through this

15. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Don, what's going on over there?

I see a few people around me that have also had bad work environments.

I may seem tough, but you've been there this long. March isn't too far away from now, and after that they will be in the past. I hope you have the strength and power to blast through the remainder of your time there.
    I hope so too, but I'm not holding my breath. I am so far beyond done...Admitted spying on my personal life (that has absolutely NOTHING to do with work, it was connected to my detailing hobby), personal attacks on my job performance - from someone who COULDN'T DO MY JOB FOR AN HOUR, let alone a 12 hour shift, even if their life depended on it, made the mental and emotional stress thousands of times worse. This doctor-mandated vacation MIGHT help, it's only been a few days over a week that I've been off, and it seems like I'm getting worse. My sleep schedule is WAY off, I'm very easily irritated by everything. It's not good.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

17. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I hope so too, but I'm not holding my breath. I am so far beyond done...Admitted spying on my personal life (that has absolutely NOTHING to do with work, it was connected to my detailing hobby), personal attacks on my job performance - from someone who COULDN'T DO MY JOB FOR AN HOUR, let alone a 12 hour shift, even if their life depended on it, made the mental and emotional stress thousands of times worse. This doctor-mandated vacation MIGHT help, it's only been a few days over a week that I've been off, and it seems like I'm getting worse. My sleep schedule is WAY off, I'm very easily irritated by everything. It's not good.
    I dont know what you do for a living, but spying on ones personal life, any hint of trust is far gone now. Best of luck, dont give up. Im sure those words of wisdom from your father will find their way to you.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

19. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes luckydawg liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.