autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

EGO LB-765 Blower

This was a half impulsive, half practical purchase.........

I went cash in hand into a large tool retailer a few weeks ago to buy an EGO blower, only to find they did not stock the model I wanted, and nor did the competition right next door.

I'm not sure if this is just limited to living in a regional town, but retailers not stocking high end tools and equipment annoys the crap out of me. I tend to buy things with the intent of not being disappointed down the track for not getting the better tool or product.

Yet, it seems there is not many people like me as 9 times out 10, I end up having to special order what I want. How is a retailer going to upsell and make better profits if they refuse to stock higher end models. I have found this a lot with lawn mowers, but it seems pretty universal across the board for this area. In other words, catering for Beer Bob Boys who want to spend as little as possible, and then complain about how crappy things are these days.

Anyway, back on topic.

I have had a complicated run with blowers over the last year or so, limping along with a wearing gas powered Stihl while a virtually brand-new Husqvarna sits unusable in the back shed. The battery Stihl BGA 56 I also have doesn't have the stamina for commercial work and has been resigned to cleaning down my driveway or garage.

This is where EGO comes in, a company that seems to have a very robust battery and battery charging system in place to power the usual range of outdoor power equipment. Blowers are what interest me the most here, with several models in varying output levels. Me being me, I went straight to the top and focused on the LB-765. As mentioned, because these are not stocked at either of my local retailers, I had to order this online.

I liked that this particular kit included two 5.0 Ah batteries along with a Rapid Charger and the tool itself. Considering two of those batteries on their own would cost $698 AUD, I think that kit is decent value. I also have intentions of using those batteries elsewhere, the cordless misting fan has my eye........

The LB-765 is considered the most powerful blower on the market, battery or petrol! Unlike my Stilh BGA 56, these blowers have a variable-speed throttle dial which delivers 440-980 M3/H. The "turbo" mode increases that to 1300 M3/H. The average run time from a 5 Ah battery charge is 90 minutes, 15 minutes on Turbo and 150 minutes on the lowest speed. Weight with a battery fitted is 4.3 kg, about 200g less than a Stihl BG 86C.

The box is well packaged, the two batteries boxed separately from the rest of the components.

The kit comes with a long extension tube which either the tapered nozzle or spread nozzle is connected to. A useless shoulder strap is also included.

I will at some stage order a stubby nozzle to make it suitable for car drying as well.

Battery wise, the 5.0 Ah units take 40 minutes to charge via the supplied Rapid Charger. The battery also displays the fuel charge when being used or when pressed. The Rapid Charger is fan cooled, preventing the battery and charger from overheating.

I also love the spring release on the blower, making removal and install of the batteries much easier.

Using the blower while mowing the front lawns this afternoon, the machine is not as loud as I was expecting. The "turbo" mode is very impressive, so powerful it takes a bit to resist the output, straining my arm in the process.

For the most part, this machine will be used for my gardening business, however I will probably use it for drying cars from time to time as well.

2. Likes Tasmania, SNP209, Bruno Soares, chilly, dgage and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: EGO LB-765 Blower

Nice post. I’m waiting for an opportunity to burn about $400 and pick up one of those with a stubby nozzle. I didn’t think they’d be way better than what I got already but after using one at my brother’s house, I’m sold. This thing is impressive.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes DFB, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine for 6 months already and love it. I use it primarily to dry cars. I was using a stihl br700 that our family has for the lawn care business but my brother kept complaining about me using it which led me to ego, haha.

I never thought an electric powered unit could rival a gas powered unit but the ego 765 proved me wrong! I even find my father reaching for it for stuff around the house and he has been a critic of electric powered equipment for a very long time!

6. Likes chilly, DFB, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a beast! Very nice.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

8. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping an eye out for one of these during Black Friday.

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

I went cash in hand into a large tool retailer a few weeks ago to buy an EGO blower, only to find they did not stock the model I wanted, and nor did the competition right next door.

I'm not sure if this is just limited to living in a regional town, but retailers not stocking high end tools and equipment annoys the crap out of me. I tend to buy things with the intent of not being disappointed down the track for not getting the better tool or product.

Yet, it seems there is not many people like me as 9 times out 10, I end up having to special order what I want. How is a retailer going to upsell and make better profits if they refuse to stock higher end models. I have found this a lot with lawn mowers, but it seems pretty universal across the board for this area. In other words, catering for Beer Bob Boys who want to spend as little as possible, and then complain about how crappy things are these days.
    I am right there with you on this one

One of my dad's favorite life lessons was "we are too poor to do it twice, so do it right the first time"

I have lived by that mantra ever since

I would scrimp and save and put off a purchase until I could get the best tool/product I could afford

Maybe not the absolute best available but still whatever it was wasn't ever a throwaway

Subsequently I have tools/guns/whatever over 50 years old that are still usable and have never let me down

I know some people HAVE TO buy the cheapest item in a category, but it seems there is a huge percentage who just choose to but the lowest price crap, and then as you say they whine and moan to anyone who will listen about how the XYZ company makes crap

I have no time for that

Now that we are going to have a nice yard with grass and flower beds and stuffs I am totally justified in buying a top line blower so thanks for the heads up

12. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for a stubby nozzle.

14. Likes chilly, DFB, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if I were in the market for a blower to dry the car, cordless would be the way to go. the ego blowers seem to be a great option...
    i am the jump starter.

16. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over there the naming doesn't make much sense. Here it's the 765 because it's rated at 765CFM. Over there they say it's 1300M3/H, not as obvious based on the model number.
    Bruno Soares

18. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Over there the naming doesn't make much sense. Here it's the 765 because it's rated at 765CFM. Over there they say it's 1300M3/H, not as obvious based on the model number.
    Happens a lot with US-centric products in Australia.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast