autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: EGO LB-765 Blower

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Time for a stubby nozzle.
    On the list, just don't quite know which one to go for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I am right there with you on this one

One of my dad's favorite life lessons was "we are too poor to do it twice, so do it right the first time"

I have lived by that mantra ever since

I would scrimp and save and put off a purchase until I could get the best tool/product I could afford

Maybe not the absolute best available but still whatever it was wasn't ever a throwaway

Subsequently I have tools/guns/whatever over 50 years old that are still usable and have never let me down

I know some people HAVE TO buy the cheapest item in a category, but it seems there is a huge percentage who just choose to but the lowest price crap, and then as you say they whine and moan to anyone who will listen about how the XYZ company makes crap

I have no time for that

Now that we are going to have a nice yard with grass and flower beds and stuffs I am totally justified in buying a top line blower so thanks for the heads up
    Agree with everything there and love that quote.

I think we have all been there, buying something cheap and then regretting not spending just a bit more. I'm on the same wavelength, buying the best you can afford while also balancing that with how much it will be used.

3. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, I have a bit of history when it comes to leaf blowers, over 20 years in fact.

Back in the early 2000's, I pestered my father for him to buy me a leaf blower, the deal being I would work it off. Most teenage boys ask for cars, motorbikes ect, not me! This was at the very beginning of my gardening business, and in many ways, I owe my father for getting me started. That blower was the then new line of Stihl blowers, the BG 55.

I ran that machine into the ground over many years. I actually still have it down in the depths of the back shed, and still running when I put it away, pretty noisy and clattery though.

I replaced that blower with the updated model Stihl, the BG 86C. For a long time, these were THE BEST blower on the market. Many times, I looked elsewhere to see what would replace it, but nothing really stood out.

At this stage I need to point out these Stihl blowers have one fatal flaw; the main bolts that hold the block together work their way loose over time. These bolts are positioned just behind the flywheel, meaning they actually start grinding on the flywheel and eventually stop the engine from turning over. Of course, the sound and feel of that is pretty disturbing, to the point where it's as if the engine is toast. This very thing happened to my BG 86 mid job. Needing to keep the show running, I simply bought another and put the old one in the shed for parts.

Now, I can't remember how I found out about the loose bolt syndrome, it was a few years down the track. I literally went down the shed, pulled the old machine to bits, and yep, the bolts were loose. Once put back together, I had two working BG 86's. In actual fact, that first BG 86 was an absolute demon, one of the strongest little performers I have ever had, so I was pleased to have it back in working order.

With two of those machines, I set one up permanently with the vacuum attachment.

In about 2016, I was doing a few carpark cleaning jobs, big spaces that required a big blower. Me being a Stihl man, I went and got me the biggest backpack blower available, the BR 600 MAGNUM. I think the name MAGNUM sold it to me more than the actual machine itself. These have the 4-Mix engine, which is still a 2-stroke but actually have valves like a 4-stroke. This particular version has 64.8cc and is way too powerful for most situations..............which means I like it very much!

Not long after, I started to get into battery powered tools. Battery tools don't suit every situation, mowers in particular for the sort of work I do. But they are brilliant for the smaller tools like hedge trimmers and low-duty chainsaws. It's the hedge trimmers that really suit me in battery form, they are lighter and much nicer on the body to use for extended periods. With the battery system set up for hedge trimmer, pole hedge trimmer and a chainsaw, I added the BGA 56 blower into the mix to see what it was like.

I sort of joke that the BGA 56 looks like some alien spaceship from Star Trek. I didn't buy that blower with the intent on it replacing my gas blowers, rather to use for quick jobs or around the house. It also dried a few cars too.

With two aging BG 86's, one eventually succumbed to the rigors of regular commercial use. The unit set up with the vac attachment blew out part of the fan housing, the added weight of the suction tube most likely contributed.

In fairness, the wear and cracks in the housing had been slowly getting worse over time, so I knew it was only a matter of time. Luckily, I had been looking at all options leading up to that moment. In late 2020, the winner of my cash was the Husqvarna 525BX.

At the time, after using the Stihl BG series for near 15 years, it was a chance to give something different a try. I had already switched over to a Husqvarna line trimmer, and looking over the specs, the 525BX looked very impressive. And yet, after less than a year of use, the thing became so unusable that I threw it in the shed in total disgust. The engine just would not run, constantly bogging down and flooding itself. In most cases, the problem would be a clogged exhaust screen, not in this case. I don't have time for poorly behaved machines, time is money. Having an almost new machine sitting unused is frustrating. At the time, I decided to just repair my older Stihl with a secondhand replacement fan shroud.

That machine is now back to vac duty. The second machine has also had some "surgery", the blower tube needing to be screwed on due to a flogged out securing tab.

I'm still using and plan to keep using both of those machines for now. The EGO was not bought with the intention of replacing my gas-powered Stihl's, more so supplementing them until I get a gauge on how the battery life will fare with the rigors of commercial use.

This all might sound like dribble, but when you use these all day, every day, you tend to get attached to your tools. You become in tune with them, knowing what they like, what they don't, what they are capable of and what their limitations are. That somewhat explains why I have so many tools, each one does its own thing in specific ways and usage cases. As the old saying goes, "look after your tools and they will look after you".

5. Likes SNP209, dgage, Azure, PaulMys, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    So there was a big issue with the OG Apex Aire stubby being loose. I was surprised Matt let it through his OCD QC.

I was also not a fan of the fit.

That being said I never really touch the nozzle and it has been great.

If you are switching between the long and short nozzles this is the better choice as I’ve seen the Stubby Nozzle Co can be hard to take off.

If leaving on I would buy the Stubby nozzle co as it’s about $25 cheaper with a BlowerBand (OG one has rubber tip) once you factor in the free shipping vs $20ish Obsessed charges for shipping where SNC doesn’t.

If the switching nozzles is not an issue and your OCD doesn’t mind it being loose I would order what is cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    So there was a big issue with the OG Apex Aire stubby being loose. I was surprised Matt let it through his OCD QC.

I was also not a fan of the fit.

That being said I never really touch the nozzle and it has been great.

If you are switching between the long and short nozzles this is the better choice as I’ve seen the Stubby Nozzle Co can be hard to take off.

If leaving on I would buy the Stubby nozzle co as it’s about $25 cheaper with a BlowerBand (OG one has rubber tip) once you factor in the free shipping vs $20ish Obsessed charges for shipping where SNC doesn’t.

If the switching nozzles is not an issue and your OCD doesn’t mind it being loose I would order what is cheapest.

Thanks for the information.

As mentioned, I will be using the EGO for gardening more than car drying, so having the ability to swap it out will be more important. I was actually going to order the APEX version for that reason, although they are out of stock currently.................I actually missed the boat by one day!

Oh, and shipping to Australia from OG is WAAAAAAY more than $20..............think a 3-figure sum starting with a 2.

9. Likes dgage, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 650 with a 4AH battery and love it. I need to get a stubby at some point. I chickened out of buying the 765 kit due to cost. I orgininally had a Jonesred, which I belive is made by Husqvarna. It had decent CFM, but the battery was just plain poop. If you hit the turbo, you'd get about 5 minutes, then it would drop out of tubro and your battery would be half gone. A full charge would not quite be enough to dry your car. Even the 4AH EGO batteries are plenty for drying a car with turbo use and still have 3 bars of battery left.

I also bough an EGO lawn mower with a 7.5AH battery. I wanted the 10AH kit, but same issue you had...not in stock. they had my kit and two mower kits with 5AH batteries in stock. If it's dry, the 7.5AH will do my whole yard. Still makes me mad they didn't have the 10AH kit as that would have been the perfect size for my little yard. The weed wacker I bought had a 5AH battery including and it has really impressed me power wise. The EGO batteries are clearly a step above everyone. As for the lawn mower, it does the job, but I honestly wish it was just a tick more powerful. Having a bit more power would improve "suction" and cut better where the wheels roll over the grass.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I also bough an EGO lawn mower with a 7.5AH battery. I wanted the 10AH kit, but same issue you had...not in stock. they had my kit and two mower kits with 5AH batteries in stock. If it's dry, the 7.5AH will do my whole yard. Still makes me mad they didn't have the 10AH kit as that would have been the perfect size for my little yard.
    How big is your yard?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and shipping to Australia from OG is WAAAAAAY more than $20..............think a 3-figure sum starting with a 2.

I would definitely pick whatever is local to you then. Definitely not worth spending that much money on an item like that.

When I get a 765, I'll get the 3D printed stubby nozzle. I don't care for the OG one, it's still a little too long, having 2 pieces makes no sense to me. And for someone so obsessed with perfection, that fit is not very good.

You can also see if Ego gutter cleaning kit is in Australia, that one comes with a stubby nozzle in it and you get other pieces that help clean gutters
    Bruno Soares

14. Likes Coatingsarecrack, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post

I would definitely pick whatever is local to you then. Definitely not worth spending that much money on an item like that.

When I get a 765, I'll get the 3D printed stubby nozzle. I don't care for the OG one, it's still a little too long, having 2 pieces makes no sense to me. And for someone so obsessed with perfection, that fit is not very good.

You can also see if Ego gutter cleaning kit is in Australia, that one comes with a stubby nozzle in it and you get other pieces that help clean gutters
    The two parts was to be able to change ends for future upgrades.

16. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the one from detailed image along with the blower band. It works just fine and fits nice and snug unlike the OG one which looks a bit flimsy.

18. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast