autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Muscle!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aussie Muscle!

Well, that is disappointing...

I'd read about the whole performance imbalance this season and thought it was odd nothing had been done to provide a little more balance. I'm all for low-oversight motor racing, but when it leads to boring racing due to a huge imbalance in performance and your only active sponsor and the company who builds one of only two possible vehicles threatens to walk away, something needs to be done.

I really hope the series organizers catch on to the fact they are sitting on a sinking ship before the bow goes under the water. V8 Supercars is an iconic series and the world will be a much less interesting place if it goes away.

Maybe Lexus needs to drag one of their IMSA GTD Pro RC F's down there and see how it does. That would be interesting if for no other reason that to see a totally foreign car on the grid.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Well, that is disappointing...

I'd read about the whole performance imbalance this season and thought it was odd nothing had been done to provide a little more balance. I'm all for low-oversight motor racing, but when it leads to boring racing due to a huge imbalance in performance and your only active sponsor and the company who builds one of only two possible vehicles threatens to walk away, something needs to be done.

I really hope the series organizers catch on to the fact they are sitting on a sinking ship before the bow goes under the water. V8 Supercars is an iconic series and the world will be a much less interesting place if it goes away.

Maybe Lexus needs to drag one of their IMSA GTD Pro RC F's down there and see how it does. That would be interesting if for no other reason that to see a totally foreign car on the grid.
    Supercars have tried to lure different brands, but very few want to be part of it.

Back in the mid 2000's, Nissan rejoined the category, sponsoring one team and ran four cars. I think they won two races in all the years they tried, but only because a Ford or Holden had bad days. Volvo got brought in at the same time, the local Volvo Australia wanted to be part of the series, but not Volvo HQ. Again, they won a couple of races, but only because the driver was at the beginning of a peak and was that would lead him to driving and winning Bathurst and championship in a Falcon, and then Mustang. Volvo HQ eventually got their way and left the team high and dry, ultimately returning to Holdens. Mercedes Benz was dragged into the sport kicking and screaming, Mercedes did not want their cars associated with a bunch of bogans cheering on a taxi's and police cars. In the end, the effort was fully funded by the team owner, won a single race and went back to Holdens when they realized they were wasting money.

I know the category was desperate for Toyota to join the party, they also made large sedans in Australia, so it sort of made since for them to have Toyota represented. But again, Toyota had bigger fish to fry than wasting money on taxi racing. History will prove that worked out well for them, Toyota have been the number 1 selling brand in Australia for 20+ years now, Ford are the Ranger-Car-Company, and Holden no longer exists.

In my opinion, most of the problems with the sport stem from management with a GM/Holden history, and therefore bias. Why this still exists is beyond me, its not like in the past where they were kneeling down in front of Holden to keep them happy and the money flowing. Holden are dead, the Camaro is dead.

3. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Supercars have tried to lure different brands, but very few want to be part of it.

Back in the mid 2000's, Nissan rejoined the category, sponsoring one team and ran four cars. I think they won two races in all the years they tried, but only because a Ford or Holden had bad days. Volvo got brought in at the same time, the local Volvo Australia wanted to be part of the series, but not Volvo HQ. Again, they won a couple of races, but only because the driver was at the beginning of a peak and was that would lead him to driving and winning Bathurst and championship in a Falcon, and then Mustang. Volvo HQ eventually got their way and left the team high and dry, ultimately returning to Holdens. Mercedes Benz was dragged into the sport kicking and screaming, Mercedes did not want their cars associated with a bunch of bogans cheering on a taxi's and police cars. In the end, the effort was fully funded by the team owner, won a single race and went back to Holdens when they realized they were wasting money.

I know the category was desperate for Toyota to join the party, they also made large sedans in Australia, so it sort of made since for them to have Toyota represented. But again, Toyota had bigger fish to fry than wasting money on taxi racing. History will prove that worked out well for them, Toyota have been the number 1 selling brand in Australia for 20+ years now, Ford are the Ranger-Car-Company, and Holden no longer exists.

In my opinion, most of the problems with the sport stem from management with a GM/Holden history, and therefore bias. Why this still exists is beyond me, its not like in the past where they were kneeling down in front of Holden to keep them happy and the money flowing. Holden are dead, the Camaro is dead.
    I enjoyed it more when they had the other brands in the mix, I quite liked the look of the Volvo, Nissan, and especially the Mercs. It's such a shame it went nowhere in the end.

Go back a little further, and I was a huge fan of the R32 Skyline GT-Rs, and I was a Holden owner and fan, but they were special, they were the future, but no, the pack of R-soles won, and they changed the rules.

I wasn't always a Holden man though, it was complicated . My Mum's first car was a 1970 Ford Capri, I loved it when Ford went 1-2 at Bathurst in 77, I was 7 at the time. But when I was looking for my first real car, after getting my full licence, Ford's were too big and ugly for me, so I got a VB Commodore, and then 3 more Holdens, before getting a Nissan Pathfinder, which had an AWD system developed from the one used in the GT-R, before going back to 3 more Holdens, and then ending up in the FJ, my favourite so far.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

7. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I enjoyed it more when they had the other brands in the mix, I quite liked the look of the Volvo, Nissan, and especially the Mercs. It's such a shame it went nowhere in the end.

Go back a little further, and I was a huge fan of the R32 Skyline GT-Rs, and I was a Holden owner and fan, but they were special, they were the future, but no, the pack of R-soles won, and they changed the rules.

I wasn't always a Holden man though, it was complicated . My Mum's first car was a 1970 Ford Capri, I loved it when Ford went 1-2 at Bathurst in 77, I was 7 at the time. But when I was looking for my first real car, after getting my full licence, Ford's were too big and ugly for me, so I got a VB Commodore, and then 3 more Holdens, before getting a Nissan Pathfinder, which had an AWD system developed from the one used in the GT-R, before going back to 3 more Holdens, and then ending up in the FJ, my favourite so far.

Probably the most famous line in Aussie racing history came out of those GT-R's..........................

The unedited version, skip to 4.20min for the moment -

While I think Skaife tends to blurt out some rubbish as a commentator, you can't deny his ability during his prime, he was an animal.

9. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Volvo's sounded amazingly different to the OHV 5.0 Ford's and Holdens.

Meanwhile, at this point I will confess my man crush for Scott McLaughlin..........

This lap NEVER gets old, listen to that Windsor scream..............

11. Thanks Prange, Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Prange, JDGolden liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This video was made by the now defunct Motor Magazine from back when the XR6 Sprint and XR8 Sprint were new...................can't believe its been that long since these cars hit the road.

The XR8 of course is the crowd favorite for noise, but there is a certain appeal to the turbo inline 6, which was the last evolution of an engine that could trace roots right back to the 1960 original. Where the OHV 144 cid / 2.4 Lt engine in the first Falcon produced 90 hp at 4200 rpm and 138 lbs-ft at 2000 rpm. This Sprint edition 4.0 DOHC engine produced 325 kW / 436 hp at 6000 rpm and 425 lb-ft / 576 Nm at 2750 rpm.

These turbo 6's have a very distinctive exhaust note in stock form, with FG-onwards versions having a spark cut "fart" on upshift. I can actually hear them and know what it is before I even see it.

I absolutely hate aftermarket exhausts on this engine (both the N/A and turbo versions), in no way do they "improve" the sound, instead they just produce more noise, most of it unpleasant. Try telling that to the 18-year-old boys who call such a thing a "sports exhaust", when in fact all they did was make it sound worse.

13. Likes Big Dave, Klasse Act, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately to all young blokes, loud = good. I was driving next to an XR8 this afternoon, young guy with all the windows down, big flashy wheels, loud exhaust, bright orange paint, it was reading 39C/102f on the external temp gauge, I stopped next to him at the next red light, put the window down and asked him how his air con was, he laughed and said broken, I told him to buy a Toyota, his answer was to rev the sh1t out of it, I laughed and put my window back up. Toyota does great air con, too cold even.

15. Likes DFB, Klasse Act, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some Aussie Muscle we haven't posted about, a rare Leland V8 coupe is on the market for $250k, tell them they're dreaming.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/rare-a...ered-for-sale/

17. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some Aussie Muscle we haven't posted about, a rare Leland V8 coupe is on the market for $250k, tell them they're dreaming.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/rare-a...ered-for-sale/

Never heard of that let alone seen a pic, the front end is really cool, not the rear so much, like half muscle, half hatchAussie Muscle!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast