autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your thoughts on vehicle service maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I was introduced to Amsoil by an independent mechanic several years ago. When he retired, I couldn't find it anywhere except on line and I didn't want to become an 'independent dealer' in order to buy it just for my car(s), so I switched to Mobile 1.

When I got the Camaro in 2015, I knew I wanted to go back to Amsoil, so I searched on line for a local source. I found a shop in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio that used Amsoil exclusively. The Camaro needed an oil change and I was out of dealership 'freebies' from buying the car (driving 100 miles a day goes through oil changes fast LOL). So I decided to check out the shop, Gear Heads, it's called. I went in armed with a list of questions regarding known issues with the 5th gen Camaro and the V6 LFX engine it has and already knowing the answers from researching Camaro forums, I asked the questions while the car was getting the oil changed.

I asked about everything from what oil I should use to known timing chain issues (the timing chain issues were with the LLT V6 and had been corrected in the LFX engine, so my car wasn't affected). They were spot on with everything, including explaining to me that the timing chains were not an issue with the LFX, just the previous generation LLT. I asked about using the Amsoil Signature Series oil and they told me that unless the car had a dual filtration system, I would be wasting money on the more expensive oil, that the "XL Series" (Amsoil's 'mid grade' oil) would more than cover the needs of a car driven roughly 20K mile a year.

When they were done with the oil change, the mechanic came back with a shopping list of what was NOT wrong with the car and some SUGGESTIONS of future maintenance services I might want to think about - no pressure whatsoever to get them done. They even noted that one of my rims is different from the other three.

Since then, I have taken my mother's car, my brother's truck, my sister-in-law's car, each more than once for needed repairs and they all say how reasonable the cost was and how "nice" the owner is. My dad's Corvette is even slated to go in to repair all the things HE "fixed" on it so it will be a running/driving car again. Their business is geared toward Repeat Customers, not "Soak them and forget them." Their philosophy is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, if it's questionable, keep an eye on it and if it is broke, use quality parts to fix it so it stays fixed.
    I order Amsoil all the time from their website, I didn't have to become a distributor? Just sign up to be a preferred customer for $10, and you get a $25 off coupon(at least the last two times I did). The membership is for six months so I just order six months worth of oil(one case, two changes). It's a nice little deal really, especially since you can't find Amsoil for a car anywhere, I only see their small engine and motorcycle stuff in stores.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    I order Amsoil all the time from their website, I didn't have to become a distributor? Just sign up to be a preferred customer for $10, and you get a $25 off coupon(at least the last two times I did). The membership is for six months so I just order six months worth of oil(one case, two changes). It's a nice little deal really, especially since you can't find Amsoil for a car anywhere, I only see their small engine and motorcycle stuff in stores.
    It was YEARS ago that I looked at buying it online, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly or things have changed. It's gotten to the point for me, where I've found a trustworthy shop that uses it and it's just easier to let them do the change and get the free inspection of the rest of the car in the process. Especially now since my wife's 'new to her' car is also going to Gear Heads for work.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to add, i use the OLM on the truck. Tells you when your up for a oil change. Go's by your driving habits etc.. I usually change it around 10%, and always have the tires rotated same time. Duratracs are not cheap! I am currently at 42K miles and they still have some life left and have all worn even. A result of tire rotations.

I also use the K&N cabin filter. Never needs replacing, just cleaning. And a dry flow air filter for the engine.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing how much life you can get out of a good set of tires if you rotate them frequently.

A good set of Michelin Defenders LTX's will get a good 50+K on my wife's SUV. Save's money considering the insane mileage that car sees every year.

Even performance tires in my car see much better life when rotating. With normal street use and rotations I can get around 30K, which is actually quite good!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I’m just wondering for those who don’t drive much, how long will tires last time-wise. I have much less than the reported mileage life of tires but I’m certain I have to get new ones any way due to age. I have no dry rot or anything like that but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before my tires might be unsafe.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Your thoughts on vehicle service maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m just wondering for those who don’t drive much, how long will tires last time-wise. I have much less than the reported mileage life of tires but I’m certain I have to get new ones any way due to age. I have no dry rot or anything like that but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before my tires might be unsafe.
    They say by the book your tires should be no more than 6yrs. old.

8yrs. tops.

I recently bought a new set of tires this past Black Friday when I discovered my 2 “good” tires/the 2 rear Toyo Tyres were 16yrs old. They still looked good and had tread but i knew I had to change them fast once I checked the date code.

Research it. There’s a reason why the time of 6yrs. makes sense regardless of the amount of miles you put on them.

7. Likes bbmach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely look into that. Thanks!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Wanted to add, i use the OLM on the truck. Tells you when your up for a oil change. Go's by your driving habits etc.. I usually change it around 10%, and always have the tires rotated same time. Duratracs are not cheap! I am currently at 42K miles and they still have some life left and have all worn even. A result of tire rotations.
    I can't speak for the other brands, as I've always worked at GM Dealers, but the Oil Life Monitor is simply an engine hour meter, nothing high tech. Obviously, if your averaging 30 mph, it's counting down twice as fast as averaging 60 mph. I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. In my DD commuter Lacrosse, which rarely sees 50 mph, I change oil every 4k miles or so, which still shows 35-40% remaining on the OLM, but I feel better doing it that often.
    Bill

10. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the OLM systems now , particularly Honda and the Asian imports , are far more than an hour meter. They take into account the load on the engine and the throttle placement. And I can tell you that this works, when I had a Honda Accord where I was commuting stop and go , versus another job that was all interstate commute, the OLM went down much quicker in percentage in the stop and go type driving vs the interstate commute……both trips were about the same amount of time one way.
    Glen -

12. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    A lot of the OLM systems now , particularly Honda and the Asian imports , are far more than an hour meter. They take into account the load on the engine and the throttle placement. And I can tell you that this works, when I had a Honda Accord where I was commuting stop and go versus another job that was all interstate commute, the OLM went down much quicker in percentage the stop and go type driving , vs the interstate commute, both trips were about the same amount of time one way.
    I’ve definitely noticed this more advanced behavior in my Acura TL.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast