autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OT - Anyone sharpen their own knives? Looking for advice.

Hey Gang

Was curious if anyone on here does their own knife sharpening?

We've got a set of pretty decent knives that are definitely due for some attention. I was originally planning on just bringing them in to get professionally sharpened; but having long been thinking about learning how to do my own sharpening it feels like now would be a good time to learn.

I'm drawn to learning how to do whetstone sharpening. Seems like it would be a very zen process, and also feels like it would be less likely to go drastically awry.

The belt style sharpeners are interesting, but I worry that there's more of a learning curve to get that right.

I've also seen the style with ceramic rods with angle guides where you pull the blade through to sharpen (one side at a time) - given the edge on some of our knives I'm wondering if it would be a challenge to get a uniform edge back that way.

We've got one of the V shaped "scraper" sharpeners that the previous owner left, definitely looking for something better for the knife than that. My wife has used it on one of our knives, and it's clear that's not the way to go...

Looking for any good resources to learn more about the process and what equipment to look at. Don't want to spend a fortune, but also wanna make sure to get good stuff to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OT - Anyone sharpen their own knives? Looking for advice.

I used to wet stone and got to a point that I was pretty good I thought, definitely improved the edges. I cook a lot, hunt,fish and always carry a knife and my best advice if you have quality knives a good pro will do a much better job that’ll last and preserve the edge angles a lot better. Now the trick is finding someone who does it, I live in a area of more than 9 million people and can count on 1 hand on pros in the business.

No matter what method you try I’d suggest a cut resistant glove until you figure out the motions, I definitely think it is a worthwhile skill to learn. It’s also difficult in the sense your first instinct is to try on a cheap knife but the cheap steel acts differently than quality steel

3. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use whetstones to sharpen knives and razors. My favorite stones are expensive but last a long time. I have Japanese, Arkansas, and jasper stones. My latest stone purchase is from Natural Whetstones | Sharpening Stone | Knife & Razor Sharpening | Axe Sharpener. Check out the website, Gabe's videos on sharpening and you can join some sharpening groups on Facebook. I like Jasper and Japanese stones for the hardness and cutting ability. All the best!

5. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I've used the Lansky sharpener and the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I also have an electric sharpener for kitchen knives.

The Lansky system became a pain trying to keep clamped onto the knives. It's otherwise ok but it drove me to try the Sharpmaker.

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is pretty easy to use and has been my go-to. It has fixed 30 and 40 degree angles. What I did find is that following the guidance on use resulted in a burr that wasn't removed so I ended up flipping it over and using like a whetstone to remove that.

The electric sharpener (Chef's Choice 15 Trizor XV) is pretty easy but can scratch the sides of the knives a little so if you're particular about their looks, it may not be the best option.

7. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been sharpening all of my own knives on a whetstone for 30+ years.

I have used all kinds of stones, but I have had the Buck "Tri-stone" system for about 10 or more years now. It has three different stones set into a triangle that you can flip on the base.

Stone one is a coarse diamond stone meant to quickly remove material for severely neglected edges. (Like a heavy compound for us 'Geeks)

Stone two is a fine diamond stone meant to refine the edge. (Like a polish.)

Stone three is an Arkansas soap stone meant to really get your blades to that "razors edge". (Like a jeweling polish.). Lol.

The key to using the stones is not so much getting the angle exactly perfect, but rather the consistency of your angle with each pass. This is what takes practice/muscle memory.

Chilly had some great advice above on one method of learning this.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares, opie, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMD2021 View Post
    I use whetstones to sharpen knives and razors. My favorite stones are expensive but last a long time. I have Japanese, Arkansas, and jasper stones. My latest stone purchase is from Natural Whetstones | Sharpening Stone | Knife & Razor Sharpening | Axe Sharpener. Check out the website, Gabe's videos on sharpening and you can join some sharpening groups on Facebook. I like Jasper and Japanese stones for the hardness and cutting ability. All the best!
    Peddle your crap elsewhere, SPAM boy!!

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the advice so far! I've got reading to do...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I have been sharpening all of my own knives on a whetstone for 30+ years.

I have used all kinds of stones, but I have had the Buck "Tri-stone" system for about 10 or more years now. It has three different stones set into a triangle that you can flip on the base.

Stone one is a coarse diamond stone meant to quickly remove material for severely neglected edges. (Like a heavy compound for us 'Geeks)

Stone two is a fine diamond stone meant to refine the edge. (Like a polish.)

Stone three is an Arkansas soap stone meant to really get your blades to that "razors edge". (Like a jeweling polish.). Lol.

The key to using the stones is not so much getting the angle exactly perfect, but rather the consistency of your angle with each pass. This is what takes practice/muscle memory.

Chilly had some great advice above on one method of learning this.
    To put it into 'Geek terms, my wife's Daily Driver rates about the same as a black lease return that lived a life of tunnel washes...

(I know, I should be ashamed...)

13. Likes PaulMys, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Gatco sharpening system much like the
    Lansky however the stones are wider.
    There are others similar to the two above for
    more $$.
    With the Gatco system, I can sharpen my kitchen knives
    and pocket knife to shave the hair off my arm.

15. Likes PaulMys, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim w View Post
    With the Gatco system, I can sharpen my kitchen knives
    and pocket knife to shave the hair off my arm.
    Just your arm, Jim?

No "Manscaping"?

17. Likes Jim w, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^ yes Paul no manscaping here.

19. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast