autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dash cam choices??????

There's too many on the market these days
    I need a front/rear cam.
    Rear cam in back window.
    Preferably with a 2-3 " screen.
    What do you have and how do you like it?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dash cam choices??????

Depends what you want or need. I like them ultra small and do not need all the features that many dash cams come with. I have mine wired into the powered mirror, so no wires running into a fuse panel to deal with.

Garmin Dash Cam Mini

Dash cam choices??????-gdcm-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t have one in my car but have a cheap one on my wife’s car that I got from Amazon for like $35. It’s some generic Chinese brand. It’s just ok, nothing to rave about. Picture is good if in front of our car, once it goes to the sides it’s not so easy to read plates, even though it’s 1080p. Sound is pretty mediocre and just having the stereo kinda loud in the car causes a ton of distortion in the audio portion of the recording, can hardly understand what a passenger says in the car. I told my wife I’d hard wire hers to the mirror and have yet to do it, it’s been a year lol. So there’s a wire connecting the camera to the 12V port.

Overall I don’t think I’d recommend going cheap, if you want a reliable recording you might want to spend more money. I hear Blackvue is great and they do have models that recording front and back.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised with so many cars on the road using lane-keep systems based on cameras data that manufacturers haven't simply programed in an option to use front and rear cameras already in place to do this. Some already do for track days, etc.

My daughter's aftermarket camera/head unit combo allows for users to use her rear camera anytime even while driving. It could easily be programmed and where needed the lens/camera revised for such a thing. Same with the windshield-mounted ones from the manufacturers. I'd even pay for it as a service.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I'm surprised with so many cars on the road using lane-keep systems based on cameras data that manufacturers haven't simply programed in an option to use front and rear cameras already in place to do this. Some already do for track days, etc.

My daughter's aftermarket camera/head unit combo allows for users to use her rear camera anytime even while driving. It could easily be programmed and where needed the lens/camera revised for such a thing. Same with the windshield-mounted ones from the manufacturers. I'd even pay for it as a service.
    It's about time everyone does what Tesla is doing and you have multi-angle cameras recording while driving and if you enable sentry mode, while parked too. I would also pay more to have the car fitted with cameras from factory. I hate hanging stuff from the windshield and also taking trim apart to run wires all over the car.
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes TTQ B4U, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also curious if anyone has other thoughts.

My reason for getting one is more for see what happened if I'm in an accident (more of the big picture).
    If it records license plate clearly as well, even better.

Example would be yesterday on my way home, person behind me crossed over solid white line to get into the right exit lane early. I checked before moving over (legally across dashed white lines) and he wasn't there, but just as I started moving over, he goes flying by me. I'm guessing he jumped on the gas and crossed over just as I started moving over. We did not hit, but it was close.

If we would have hit, it may have been hard for me to argue that he crossed illegally. A front/rear dash cam would have caught it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post

My reason for getting one is more for see what happened if I'm in an accident (more of the big picture).
    If it records license plate clearly as well, even better.
    Ive thought of getting one as well. Could have saved me some trouble, when i was accused of passing a truck on a bend at the end of a no passing zone. I for the record honestly did not do it. I Fought it and got the charges dropped but still lost half days wages and was out almost 200 bucks as i still had to pay the ticket.

Ticket woulda paid for a camera lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I decided to get one was last week two teenage girls, driving a 95 dodge stratus piece of junk, obviously in distress about their boyfriend breaking up with her or something.
    All over the road texting and carrying on came inches from driving right into me.
    These girls were nuts.
    I decided on a Viofo Pro Duo 4K dash cam with rear camera

VIOFO A129Pro Duo Ultra 4K Front + Full HD 1080P Rear Dual Channel Wi-Fi Dash Camera

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk