autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nissan 400Z

Post Thanks / Like

Nissan 400Z

How good is it that some car manufacturers are still investing money into RWD Coupe's.

I always loved the look of the 350Z and 370Z's. I'm not sure I love the look of the new 400Z but it has grown on me since the concept was revealed.

Overall, I think I prefer the Supra owing to it's inline 6 (I have a 'thing' for inline 6's ) but good on Nissan for rolling the dice again on a niche product.

2. Likes Klasse Act, fly07sti, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nissan 400Z

Well said!

I think it's going to look even better inperson Nissan 400Z

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TL/DR I like what the car represents and exited about another RWD/manual sports car, but not thrilled with how it looks.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the exterior. You can tell it's based on the previous 370 platform (rigidity was only improved by 10%). I was hoping for them to really go in a different direction. The taillights are pretty nice, but the front grill looks like the designers ust ran out of time when drawing the front end. Really unique headlights...and then just a square. Yes, I know the grill is almost a dead ringer for the 240 Z of old.

Interior-wise I think it's a big step up from the 370 which hadn't really been touched in over 10 years. My only hope is they don't force you to get that horrible colored trim all over. Give me a simple, dark, black interior. Somber, simple, functional, and no-frills.

Performance-wise it has potential. 400hp, RWD, and a manual transmission is the perfect recipe for a great car as long as it isn't too heavy, the weight balance is good, and the gearing is done right.

This car is aimed squarely at the Supra, I'd be curious to see the differences in dimensions and weight. I agree with DFB; the BMW B58 inline 6 in the Supra is one of the sweetest engines on the planet right now. I'll be curious to see how the V6 in this car holds up. I've not seen this car in person, but the more Supra's I see on the road, the more I like them. They have a really eye-catching design that looks far better in person than pictures. The real question is now: Will Toyota give the Supra a manual? Even if they only offer it in the 4-cyclinder version (Europe gets a manual 4-cyclinder Z4), it will be huge.

It's been a great couple weeks for driving enthusiasts. The Toyota 86 test drive embargo ended yesterday. Subaru BRZ ordering window opened two weeks ago and the media events are next week. The 400Z is officially unveiled today. Lots of great new RWD manual sports cars.

I think it's interesting to see the Japanese car makers going to a place the Americans and Germans have abandoned for the most part. The only American sports car now is the Vette and it's competing in a totally different market. Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger are just big, heavy, coupes along with the M4 and C63. The Z4 and Cayman still compete, but are significantly more expensive and only the Cayman has the option of a manual. The M2 is in a strange limbo category all on it's own. That leaves us the Supra, BRZ/FRS, Miata, and now the 400Z. Now it's time for Hyndia/Kia to step up and join the party, but I'm not too optimistic.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would totally choose the Supra over this. Not feeling that design, especially the rear.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    I would totally choose the Supra over this. Not feeling that design, especially the rear.
    I'm with you. If I'm correct the 370z shared a modified version of the 350z chassis and the new Z is still sharing a modified version of the 370.

Yes 400HP RWD manual sports car is a cool and I'm glad it's still around but I'm not shocked at all that Nissan didn't really do anything special to the car. Pretty sure a lot of the random interior pieces are still shared with the 350 and 370.

Styling is subjective of course and I never give my absolute opinion on something until I see it in person but in pictures I don't know. It's not great looking. I sort of like the tail light design but that's about it.

Supra>Z

Sent from my SM-G991U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I like it a lot, especially in that color. I like the back and tail lights, it doesn’t look like everything else on the road. I agree the front bumper isn’t great but it could be worse. I’d rock it.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Front bumper needs an actual bumper Nissan 400Z

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
    I'm with you. If I'm correct the 370z shared a modified version of the 350z chassis and the new Z is still sharing a modified version of the 370.
    Pretty sure you're right. It's not a total re-do of the platform. They modified the existing platform that goes back to the 350z which first went on sale in 2003. The platform has essentially been on the road for 18 years and probably started development around 25 years ago. It saves Nissan development costs, but they loose out on decades of chassis improvement, better manufacturing techniques, and the ability to improve the overall platform in multiple ways.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes bfielder32087 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t see anything that looks new or innovative. They used the engine before, and the underpinnings are conventional. I’m sure it’ll have a attractive price but in this day and age, I don’t think it’ll fly off the shelves. Looking forward to the new Acura releasing soon.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post

Yes 400HP RWD manual sports car is a cool and I'm glad it's still around but I'm not shocked at all that Nissan didn't really do anything special to the car. Pretty sure a lot of the random interior pieces are still shared with the 350 and 370.

Styling is subjective of course and I never give my absolute opinion on something until I see it in person but in pictures I don't know. It's not great looking. I sort of like the tail light design but that's about it.

Supra>Z

[/URL]
    I know it's off topic but what are your thoughts on the MK8 GTI/R? I've only seen it in pictures but based on that, I'm not excited at all to replace my MK7. That front end is terrible. I guess I'll have to see the R when it lands and see if it does anything to me but as of now, I don't know what car I'd replace my GTI with, the ones I like are too expensive, the ones that I could afford, I don't like
    Bruno Soares

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast