autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nissan 400Z

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nissan 400Z

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Btw...why didn't they use the 400Z nameNissan 400Z

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    The 240z had a 2.4 liter the 260z had a 2.6 liter etc etc.... The new Z has a 3 liter. They just made the decision not to continue the name for naming sake I guess. Makes sense for the most part.

The Germans obviously don't care as BMW and Mercedes number designations don't mean anything anymore.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since we're talking price here, let me throw a monkey wrench into the mixNissan 400Z The new 86, add a supercharger and BBK and call it a dayNissan 400Z

Probably run about the same as a base model Z. Would have more HP and torque and still retain factory warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Probably run about the same as a base model Z. Would have more HP and torque and still retain factory warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Smaller/lighter = more fun to drive but your obviously right about warrantyNissan 400Z

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
    I don't know this to be true or not but according to Matt Farah anyways the torque is vastly improved but apparently that torque dip does still exist.
    Based on the reviews I've seen and read from multiple places to include Jason Cammisa (MotorTrend and now Hagerty) and an old friend of mine at Everyday Driver, this has been the consensus as well. Cammisa mentioned it was there, but barely noticeable because it didn't destroy the torque curve like the old engine. The Everyday Driver guys seemed to think it was totally gone, or at least not noticeable enough to talk about. One of them owned an FRS for 5~6 years and they continually raved about how much better the engine was from the old car and really solved the only issue which kept the Toyobaru twins from being a truly great car.

I find this encouraging because the horrible torque curve in the old car would leave the engine napping if you tried to accelerate out of a slow second-gear corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    The Supra is a Re-Badged BMW and has NO Japanese Soul! The new Nissan Z will. The Supra has a recall...guess who's taking care of the recall...BMW.

Additionally, the BMW Supra has no 6-Speed manual. I had a 2007 Infiniti G35 with the 6 Speed manual and it was fun to drive.

Until Toyota make a Japanese Supra, Nissan 400z for me.
    I guess I'm one of those people who can't care less where a car comes from and takes it as a sum of its parts to decide whether it's a good car. I've owned vehicles from all three major market areas (US, German, Japanese). I find the personality of the car comes from the vehicle itself, not the badging. Heck you could slap a Lada or Trabant badge on the car and call it the Oatmeal Express and I'd still drive the snot out of it. Is it fun to drive? Yes? Great. Give me the keys.

Today, the B58 engine really has no peer and is absolutely the best 6-cyclinder engine I've ever driven.

Everyone I've know who have owned Nissan's, to include a co-worker who owned a 370, have sworn off the brand and will never buy another one. Too many quality short cuts and reliability issues. Their experiences made my VW's and BMW's seem like Toyotas. This fact alone gives me pause when looking at the Z.

I didn't like the Supra in pics and even at the Chicago Auto Show in 2019 up on the stand but when I saw it in person, amongst other cars....O M GNissan 400Z I really have a thing for that car...hips, hips and hipsNissan 400Z

As far as the BMW-ness, well that's a mixed bag there but the perf is there for the taking and although missing the desirable 3rd pedal that auto is supposed to be REALLY quick shifting.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Z and 86 inperson ASAPNissan 400Z

I was like you with the Supra at first. I thought is looked like a lumpy mess, but the first time I say a silver one on the road, it snapped my head around (and led to me being yelled at by my wife in the passenger seat). I don't see one very often, but it grabs my attention every time I see one. I'm not sure the Z will have the same presence, but I'll wait until I can see one in person.

The whole manual issue is probably the one hang-up I have with the Supra. I've never owned a daily driver that ISN'T a manual. I've never driven an auto/dual clutch transmission in a performance setting. The ZF they are using in the Supra (I drove a version with near-identical programmed version in an M340) is amazing for an auto. I've driven the dual clutch in an S3 and it was quite good too. I hear the PDK from Porsche is astounding. However, I'm afraid if my feet aren't doing the pedal "dance" even if it makes me slower in some settings, it will leave me bored and detract from the whole experience of driving a great car...no matter what it is.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes Klasse Act, bfielder32087 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
    The 240z had a 2.4 liter the 260z had a 2.6 liter etc etc.... The new Z has a 3 liter. They just made the decision not to continue the name for naming sake I guess. Makes sense for the most part.

The Germans obviously don't care as BMW and Mercedes number designations don't mean anything anymore.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Agree. You get silliness like the Mercedes C300 has a 2.0L, the BMW 330 has a 2.0L, and the BMW M340 has a 3.0L.... At least Mercedes got smart with their AMG cars. The "43" is the lower output version, the "63" is the higher output version, and the "63 S" is the uber version of the car regardless of what is under the hood. I don't know about Mercedes, but the BMW models haven't matched the engine size for over 20 years. My '99 323i had a 2.5L under the hood, but so did the 330 at that time. The engine difference was power output and couple other minor tweaks.

Porsche has tried to keep things consistant, but it backfired on them a bit. Every ICE car they build is now turbocharged, but there is actually a trim level across their line which is the "Turbo" and the "Turbo S" while the lower levels are the base, S, and GTS. The one I find hilarious is the Taycan Turbo and Taycan Turbo S...it's an electric car.

9. Likes bfielder32087 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

...even sunglasses were TURBO back in the 80's! TURBO was everywhere back then!

11. Likes Desertnate, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

YES! And the "turbo" button on the front of your pre-windows PC. Still makes me laugh even though my computer in college had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Scotty from the 80'sNissan 400Z...turbo glasses for sureNissan 400Z

Post Thanks / Like

"THE" TURBO