autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nissan 400Z

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nissan 400Z

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I was wondering if it would be significantly changed in the reborn version. Maybe the first electric Acura?
    That's kind of my guess. I have a feeling it won't be as exciting as most people are hoping so, BUT fingers crossed that it is something similar to what it once was.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    For me, I find the styling of the 400Z is lacking in cohesion.

The softer, more organic design elements clash with the straighter, squarer lines at the rear.

As I mentioned in the opening post, the styling is growing on me but, like the Supra, the design doesn't quite gel.
    Agree. I wonder if this is a Japanese design style. Many of their car designs are a little odd like that. One thing I've noticed is I find the Supra much better looking in person. Maybe this will be the case too.

As for the 400Z using a carry over platform and re-purposed engine, I guess those sentiments can be leveled at the Mustang, Camaro and Dodge twins. The S550 Mustang uses a evolved S197 platform, the Camaro borrowed an existing Cadillac base and the Dodges use an ancient Daimler platform.
    I don't have issues with platforms being carried over, but in the examples you listed I think the Challenger/Charger are the only ones on a platform older than the Z car's. I recently rode in a Charger and it was very obvious the car was based on a 30-year old Mercedes platform that dated back to the days in Mercedes owning Cyrystler/Dodge.

Having said all that, I love the fact these type of cars are still available, I'm not ready for an electric car just yet.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I'd welcome an electric sports car if they can make it fun to drive, but no one builds anything like that. Then there is the whole issue with lack of places to charge them....

On a more positive note, there are two Tesla Model 3 owners which have been attending our local SCCA autocross events. They are WICKED fast in autocross and destroy even the best drivers in their purpose built Miatas.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Right now the M2 is the small tossable wonder to beat. I'd own that before the 400. Love the supra too.
    The M2 would certainly be more practical. I test drove an M2 Competition not long after they hit the market and even two years later, I still can't get the car out of my mind. It was brilliant to drive despite being shockingly heavy for it's size. I won't even casually test drive a Supra for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I was wondering if it would be significantly changed in the reborn version. Maybe the first electric Acura?
    Might be, but to do that and be a successful Integra re-boot would require a bespoke chassis if they want to do it right. Honda doesn't have an all electric car right now to build from. Slapping a bunch of batteries in a Civic SI or Type R would be a disaster from a dynamics stand point. They could make it a hybrid like the NSX. You could base the car off any of the current Honda platforms which are all FWD, and have the gas engine power the front axel and put an electric motor (or two) to drive the rear. Put the batteries in the back to give it better weight balance and it could be a pretty fun platform. Be much lighter than their SH-AWD system.

Or they could just go with the old Integra recipe of being a light, tossable coupe with a magical high-revving engine.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nissan 400Z

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I had the same engine with a basic piggy back tune. It was okay. Has potential. An Alpha tune and downpipes out a 4k lb car into the mid to low 11s.

Downside is reliablity. The 3.0 isn't. I never had problems but many are. Tiny turbos and belt issues plaqgue them.

Right now the M2 is the small tossable wonder to beat. I'd own that before the 400. Love the supra too.

Nissan will sell this but better options can be had.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    The Z is actually in a different class.... at least price wise if leaks are to be believed.

It suppose to start at around 35k. The base supra starts at 8k more. And thats with 145 HP less and i believe 55lb torque.

If you add the sport and technology pack (Zst) it comes in around 10k less than a comparable base v6 Supra with comparable features.

And compared to BMW it’s more in line with the 2 series price, not the M2.

Again these are not official but source was right about a couple of other things.
    If pricing is right, this is a great value for the performance.

If comparing car to car (price not a factor) I would also take both of those cars.

My 2003 350z convertible was my first dream car I got to own. Loved it so much when it got wrecked I bought a convertible G37 in-same color to follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Since we're talking price here, let me throw a monkey wrench into the mixNissan 400Z The new 86, add a supercharger and BBK and call it a dayNissan 400Z

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Nissan nails this with fit and finish and ups the quality because they NEED it! When you look up thr term "also ran" Nissan comes up. Do you see alot of them on the road, yes but l bet it'd favorable financing. I also see alot of them looking bad after a couple years. I'd like to see a revamp of the entire line upNissan 400Z

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Since we're talking price here, let me throw a monkey wrench into the mixNissan 400Z The new 86, add a supercharger and BBK and call it a dayNissan 400Z

I agree somewhat on the 86/BRZ being the answer, but I'll parry your monkey wrench with a screwdriver

I say take the new 86/BRZ but DON'T put any forced induction under the hood, skip the BBK, and take the savings to buy some lighter/wider wheels and some sticky summer tires!

The need for more power is debatable now that the new 2.4L engine has eliminated the infamous torque dip. I recently test drove a ND2 Miata with the new engine and even 180hp in a sub-3K lbs car with a nice fat torque curve is properly quick and a hoot to drive. I imagine the BRZ with 228hp in a similar weight vehicle would be just as fun.

A BBK might be needed for extended track sessions or racing to deal with the heat, but for normal enthusiast use and even autocross, the existing brakes are probably just fine due to the car being so light. Just throw on some better pads.

Lately I'm starting to realize and truly appreciate the beauty of driving a slow car fast vs a fast car slow. I currently own a pretty fast car, but big power = big weight and driving a fast car slow is a real snooze fest. Flogging a lower powered light car is a ton of fun.

The Z car here, Supra, M2, Z4, and maybe the higher trim Cayman/Boxters like GTS and GT4 occupy a strange in-between land that isn't quite a fire-breathing Coupe like a Mustang GT/Camaro SS/M4 but too heavy and powerful to be in the same class as the BRZ/86, Miata, Caymann/Boxter.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes Klasse Act, bfielder32087 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I agree somewhat on the 86/BRZ being the answer, but I'll parry your monkey wrench with a screwdriver

I say take the new 86/BRZ but DON'T put any forced induction under the hood, skip the BBK, and take the savings to buy some lighter/wider wheels and some sticky summer tires!

The need for more power is debatable now that the new 2.4L engine has eliminated the infamous torque dip. I recently test drove a ND2 Miata with the new engine and even 180hp in a sub-3K lbs car with a nice fat torque curve is properly quick and a hoot to drive. I imagine the BRZ with 228hp in a similar weight vehicle would be just as fun.

A BBK might be needed for extended track sessions or racing to deal with the heat, but for normal enthusiast use and even autocross, the existing brakes are probably just fine due to the car being so light. Just throw on some better pads.

Lately I'm starting to realize and truly appreciate the beauty of driving a slow car fast vs a fast car slow. I currently own a pretty fast car, but big power = big weight and driving a fast car slow is a real snooze fest. Flogging a lower powered light car is a ton of fun.

The Z car here, Supra, M2, Z4, and maybe the higher trim Cayman/Boxters like GTS and GT4 occupy a strange in-between land that isn't quite a fire-breathing Coupe like a Mustang GT/Camaro SS/M4 but too heavy and powerful to be in the same class as the BRZ/86, Miata, Caymann/Boxter.
    The upper trim of the 86 comes with PS4S tires so they addressed that which is great.

I don't know this to be true or not but according to Matt Farah anyways the torque is vastly improved but apparently that torque dip does still exist.

As far as brakes I agree, no real need for a BBK just pads and fluid and you should be set in about 99% of applicarions.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Autogeekonline mobile app

11. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Supra is a Re-Badged BMW and has NO Japanese Soul! The new Nissan Z will. The Supra has a recall...guess who's taking care of the recall...BMW.

Additionally, the BMW Supra has no 6-Speed manual. I had a 2007 Infiniti G35 with the 6 Speed manual and it was fun to drive.

Until Toyota make a Japanese Supra, Nissan 400z for me.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    The Supra is a Re-Badged BMW and has NO Japanese Soul! The new Nissan Z will. The Supra has a recall...guess who's taking care of the recall...BMW.

Additionally, the BMW Supra has no 6-Speed manual. I had a 2007 Infiniti G35 with the 6 Speed manual and it was fun to drive.

Until Toyota make a Japanese Supra, Nissan 400z for me.
    There's no arguing any of thisNissan 400Z

I didn't like the Supra in pics and even at the Chicago Auto Show in 2019 up on the stand but when I saw it in person, amongst other cars....O M GNissan 400Z I really have a thing for that car...hips, hips and hipsNissan 400Z

As far as the BMW-ness, well that's a mixed bag there but the perf is there for the taking and although missing the desirable 3rd pedal that auto is supposed to be REALLY quick shifting.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Z and 86 inperson ASAPNissan 400Z

15. Likes Kamakaz1961, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw...why didn't they use the 400Z nameNissan 400Z

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast