autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Design Flaws

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Design Flaws

Lots of flaws on my Mach 1. Panel fitment is pretty bad. For me, the biggest flaw is the paint. One of the previous owners was not very good at protecting the paint. Also, they were not accurate at throwing their briefcase in the back seat LOL. If I would have bought one new off the lot, I would have been much better off for sure. One thing that would certainly help is a thicker paint, or at least thicker clearcoat. That way you can more opportunities to address paint problems.

Design Flaws-img_3954-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Design Flaws

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    What class do you run in?
    I ran Street Mod back in the day, though not because I built the car for the class specifically. More it was a case where I built my cars how I wanted them, and that was where my modifications fit. Also, I could run either my E30 M3 or E36 M3 if I wanted.
    I run my F32 in F Street. Interesting class because it includes F3X BMWs, E90 M3's, current Mustang GT's and Caddy ATS's. I do OK, but we've got some REALLY good drivers and the cars in stock form are not well suited to autoX.

I've not tuned the car because it would take a significant amount of change and the end result might loose some drivability I enjoy for daily driving/road trips. I'm seriously considering picking up a cheap BRZ/86 and making it my tune toy.

Other modern BMW trait that drives me crazy - Whoever designed the washer fluid filler necks must have realllllllly loved those funnel shaped coin things from shopping malls (where you run your quarter down the ramp and it spirals it's way down to the hole in the center). There are cars where the entrance to the reservoir is a 2" deep well that goes to a 90° pipe that leads to the reservoir. Clearly they've not had to fast track adding a gallon of washer fluid when it's 5° outside...
    You just brought up some suppressed memories! The washer fill on my F32 has a circular cap, but the area below is about 1" deep and has a half-circuit opening and that terrible bend below it. Not only that, but it's in the FRONT of the car and draws fluid the length of the front of the car to get to the windshield! If you don't have the right fluid in the reservoir the ENTIRE system will freeze solid. When the dealership sold me my car, they used a fluid dilution ratio which isn't suitable for sub-freezing temps. I live in southern-Illinois where it freezes for weeks every winter....
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, Big Dave liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123