autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing got me through my 14 months of work furlough....

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I was sidelined at the start of the pandemic last year for about 8 or 9 weeks. It, and the following lockdowns, have come at the right time for me actually.

I'm the sort of person who needs to be doing something. My enforced leave from work allowed me to double down with my detailing, both for my own cars and a growing customer base.

The detailing kept me active, kept my mind ticking over. I loved the lockdown in the end because it gave me time to do more detailing.
    I hear you.... When one door closes---another door opens.

2. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same kind of thing is how I ended up where I am now. Beginning of March 2020 I was furloughed from my engineering job for 6 weeks. As I had just picked up a new (used) car only a month before, suddenly I had so much time to practice things I normally didn't do while detailing and a fresh canvas to experiment with. The rabbit hole got very deep, very fast, and now I'm using all those skills I developed spending time in isolation (and here of course) as a side-gig detailing cars pretty much every weekend. This is definitely something that is going to stick with me until my body is no longer able... I'm in my early 30's now so hopefully several many decades!
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

4. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    Same kind of thing is how I ended up where I am now. Beginning of March 2020 I was furloughed from my engineering job for 6 weeks. As I had just picked up a new (used) car only a month before, suddenly I had so much time to practice things I normally didn't do while detailing and a fresh canvas to experiment with. The rabbit hole got very deep, very fast, and now I'm using all those skills I developed spending time in isolation (and here of course) as a side-gig detailing cars pretty much every weekend. This is definitely something that is going to stick with me until my body is no longer able... I'm in my early 30's now so hopefully several many decades!
    Early 30s !!! you are just a pup . LOL

I also bought a new car one month before the lockdown. If I knew covid would cause a 14 months furlough....I would had waited.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, where I live has been thrown into a snap 5 day lockdown. Looks like I will get more time for detailing again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Well, where I live has been thrown into a snap 5 day lockdown. Looks like I will get more time for detailing again.
    I feel bad for you...thats ridiculous.

On a different note..what could you even do to cleanup those fords anymore?? Those things always seem spotless Detailing got me through my 14 months of work furlough....Detailing got me through my 14 months of work furlough....Detailing got me through my 14 months of work furlough....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post

On a different note..what could you even do to cleanup those fords anymore?? Those things always seem spotless Detailing got me through my 14 months of work furlough....Detailing got me through my 14 months of work furlough....Detailing got me through my 14 months of work furlough....

Ha ha, there is always something to do!

My first thought is to refresh the ceramic coating on all the black trim and grill on the Ranger.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post

I was furloughed for 14 months due to the pandemic. I am now back at work once again... thank god!!!

Good to hear and thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post

Found something to do.....................although one wasn't exactly a Ford. Although the Jag has a Ford engine, does that count?

Post Thanks / Like

I was out of work in 2015 and it was the first time in my 32 year career that I was ever unemployed. I hated every minute of it. At first I just sat around not wanting to do anything that I enjoyed before like detailing cars, roller blading or running trains. One day I forced myself to get outside and work on my truck. It turned out to be great therapy. It felt good to do something that I enjoyed and that I found rewarding. I thought about making a business out of it but fortunately I started getting activity in my job search.
    It is terrific that not only were you able to occupy your time and your mind with something positive, it was an added bonus that you were able to make a living at it.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

So cool to read this from the OP.

After 15 years of a successfully run business; it was shut down because the Communist State Government of California considered my business to be "NON-ESSENTIAL". I was shut down for 11 months.

I had 10 Therapists that relied on my business to stay open to make money. So, in order to get by and make ends meet, I detailed cars and I opened my business "illegally".

With my customer base, I was able to operate and make some income and a few of the girls worked and some didn't because of fear.

But if it wasn't for the knowledge I learned from detailing cars I would have suffered even more.

But GLAD you IMPROVISED, ADAPTED and OVERCAME to be where you are at today!

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12