autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

I miss detailing

2 more years. That's how much time I have left until I'm finally done with school and will become a doctor. Unlike all of my friends in medical school, I never wanted to be a doctor and didn't even think about it until I was 21. At that time I was an accounting and finance major who also ran a shop. School was not a priority (already had jobs lined up) and I loved that I was making really good money doing what I loved until I graduated. Everything about detailing, no actually just paint correction, fit me so so well. Now, I'm lucky to wash my car once a month. I don't really drive it since I live literally on the other side of the street of, but I miss being able to clean it once a week. I miss the Autogeek community and I miss putting all of my focus into one car/project at a time. There's just no time for me anymore. And it sucks. I miss you guys a lot.

That's not to say I'm not happy doing what I am right now. I love medical school. And I think a lot of us detailers would really like the methodical nature, incredible attention to detail, research/documentation of problem solving and outcomes that encompasses all of evidence based medicine. I find regularly that what I did as a detailer fits really well in what's allowed me to be successful in school. Hopefully I do well enough on my first board exam to be competitive for plastic surgery residencies. I can't think of a more similar area of medicine to what all of us high-achieving detailers focus on and do. I'm not nearly as interested in cosmetic surgery compared to reconstructive surgery like hand, burn, and gender affirmation surgery, but they all are very dependent on detail and problem solving. So hopefully in 10 years when I'm done with my fellowship I'll finally be able to build my garage and start detailing again. Until then, I'll just enjoy rinseless washes and make sure my girlfriend stays away from my microfiber towels.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I miss detailing

Good luck, and the detailing will always be there when you have the time.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I miss detailing

I know where you are coming from- my car was definitely kept up to my standards while I was in chiropractic school.
    It’s worth it- I’m driving cooler cars now. ��
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

5. Likes conman1395 liked this post