Last summer I had a shop built to run a detailing business out of. I figured it might be useful to share the upgrades and progress as it feels like there's a real lack of information (or at least I couldn't find it) regarding shop design, and layout.

It's a two bay 30'x40' shop with 12'3" ceilings.

The office / bathroom portion is 8' wide leaving 32' of shop space for the two work bays.

The larger bay has a depth of 29', and the smaller bay with the staircase has a depth of ~23'. Trucks and large SUVs fit in the bigger bay, smaller SUVs and cars fit in the smaller bay. The heater is a 70k BTU propane heater made by Hot Dawg. Average cost per month to heat was $120 during winter.

Eventually I plan on building a work bench against the back wall. Right now that cardboard box is my work station

Above the office / bathroom is used for storage, and the sound system. The radio is an Onkyo TX8020 with 2 vintage Ohm speakers thanks to my Dad. There's 4' of headroom up there so it can hold quite a bit. The garage doors are 10'x10' and can even fit duellys.