autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ed's Shop Build Thread

Loving this nice weather we've been having. Any day it's over 55F I've got the doors wide open.

And I think I need to find a new place to empty out my vacuum. The pile's getting noticeable

Just kidding, the pile of dirt is roughly 15 yards of loam waiting to be skim coated over the backyard. Construction wasn't done till just before Christmas so with snow on the ground it was easy to put off dealing with the backyard, or should I say lack of a yard. I figure a nice 2-3" layer in the areas that need it most should help some grass grow in nicely.

That's not treasure in the concrete block sticking out of the ground that's the septic tank. Most of the town is on sewer but the part of the road I'm on doesn't have a line due to an abundance of ledge. The nearest sewer line is over 400 feet down the road so a septic system was cheaper. It was mostly covered in dirt but erosion seems to have had it's way. The four large rocks you see between the septic tank and the dirt pile are the corners of the leach field.

Yesterday I upgraded all the air couplers in the shop to Prevost ones. With only 2 air lines and about 6 air tools in the shop it didn't take very long. They're 1/4 industrial fittings and I love the quick release feature. In the past year I've burnt through about 4 - 5 cheap air couplers and I figured it was time to splurge.

Male part #: ISI061251
    Female part #: ISI061201

2. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing double? It's amazing how different the Tornadors look. The one on the left is brand new and the one on the right is less than a year old. They're both blacks that have been upgraded to include the 360 swivel Prevost fitting. I used to run the "dial regulator" that is included with the Tornador but after not using it for nearly a year I figured there was no sense in having it installed. I bought the second Tornador because my girlfriend has been helping out with some of the overflow jobs coming in.

The upgrades for the G9 arrived. Not pictured is 6 white LC thin pro pads.

An inch makes a world of a difference

5" plate installed.

I think I'm going to expand into decal and vinyl removal. I really enjoy it and can make a pretty chunk of change doing it.

4. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread keeps getting better!

I really like seeing all of this, Ed. Very happy for you, man.

(And good one on the vacuum emptying....... )
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes hoyt66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy reading your posts. Nice job on the colors for the exterior. The shop I work out of is almost the same

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job here Ed... sorely needed and quite thoughtful too. With enough customers you are undoubtedly going to be successful. Cheers!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whalerfreak View Post
    Enjoy reading your posts. Nice job on the colors for the exterior. The shop I work out of is almost the same

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thanks! Plenty more to share soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Nice job here Ed... sorely needed and quite thoughtful too. With enough customers you are undoubtedly going to be successful. Cheers!!!
    Thanks!

I'm growing grass, good prices, hit me up . Spent the day spreading out the loam and throwing down some grass seed plus straw. With the help of my parents and my Dad's tractor things went pretty quick. The grass seed is a proprietary blend of landscapers mix and sun n shade because I didn't realize there was different types of grass seed until getting the bags to the shop. No more visible septic tank is a plus too.

It looks a little dinky right now but hopefully by the end of summer it'll be green.

Also the astute eye will notice a new vent pipe on the roof of my shop. The contractors never installed the vent pipe through the roof so for the past few months the plumbing has been venting upstairs. The smell wasn't too strong but it was noticeable and not very pleasant. This is the second major repair I've had to make on a 4 month old shop. The first was when the lag bolts holding in the garage door spring brackets of one of the garage doors were about ready to rip out of the wall and had nothing but a thread holding them in. At least it's done now though.

I had the chance to work on some nice vehicles thanks to the European dealer down the road.

Should have another update on Monday. Have a good memorial day weekend everyone!

10. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread update!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Nice thread update!
    Thanks!

And as promised I've got another update to share. My workbench that I'd been using since December was the box my Mytee extractor came in. Bless it's soul that it held up for so long but the thing needed to go. With how bowed in the top was it was almost impossible to extract a floor mat on and the bottom was slowly disintegrating due to the floor always being wet.

I've had an idea for a new workbench in the back of my head for about two months now and thanks to getting the day off due to Memorial day and having the funds for it I decided it was time. Last night my girlfriend and I shot up to Home Depot to gather supplies. She was nice enough to tolerate me digging through the pile of 2x4s looking for 30 straight-ish ones and scavenge around for the other odds and ends I needed

Ended up buying:
    • 30 - 8' 2x4
    • 1 - 8' 2x4 pressure treated
    • 3 - 4x8 3/4 OSB
    • Bucket of 3" nails
    • 3 tubes of PL premium
    • 50' of 24" aluminium flashing

Estimated budget for the bench was $300 and out the door I paid $301. To be fair though we bought two sodas

I started off by cutting up the 2x4s to make the legs. Each leg took 3 2x4s and I needed to make 6 legs total. The original leg design was stolen from Garage Journal and modified to handle the frost wall bulging out of the bottom of my shop walls, a shorter depth of only 24", and water resistant feet.

First one assembled. The lip on the top is to make the bench top flush with the wall.

This took much longer than I thought it would to make all 6. I used a pressure treated 2x4 to make water resistant feet for the legs.

Stood them up to get an idea of how it'd look. Each leg is ~38" tall.

Then after connecting them together and some help from my Dad with cutting the OSB it started to look like a bench.

Some cross members were added for that extra support.

Pushed it back against the wall. It's a perfect fit. The bench is 18' long.

The back leg sits almost flush with the frost wall.

Ran out of time and energy to go any further so I shoved all my stuff beneath it and called it a night. I still need to finalize the top and build a rack to hold spray bottles.

My beautiful scribble that I used to build the workbench. It's easy to mistake as a page from Da Vinci's notebook.

Total time was roughly 7 hours and I ended up only needing 27 2x4s. I purposely bought 3 extras in case I messed up any cuts.

13. Likes DFB, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spot on! Very nice. It’s amazing what you can do with wood
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

If you get tired of that OSB surface. Get some MDO plywood to cover it. You can seal it up and it would take getting wet pretty well ( They use it to paint exterior signs on.)

If you ever do that, consider extending the edge about 3-4 inches beyond your 2x4 supports. It's really handy to have an edge that you can clamp stuff to sometimes.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast