autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking technique vs tool selection

When is technique more important than tool selection (when it comes to polishers/buffers).

I am interested in this because it can go both ways. Over the past 30 years our tools have become more refined, accurate and forgiving, but does an over priced tool compensate for proper technique? For instance if you gave a cheap 6 inch random orbital polisher and a "luxury" or premium random orbital polisher to them, do you really think that the luxury tool will get them any better results than the cheap one?

Then have that person with zero experience polish 20 cars, have much better technique and then have them try both polishers a second time. Do you think that luxury tool will make any difference considering they have a better idea what they are doing and their technique has improved over 20 cars?

For instance. Lets look at drills.... you have black and decker, Craftsman, dewalt, milwaukee, makita, etc and probably 25 other off brands. Lets look at "premium drills" Like Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita.

They all make top notch tools and each manufacturer is going to have lemons in the batch, but over all they are top of the line cream of the crop tools and for under $200 you have buy into 18v cordless versions with brushless motors.

So what makes an orbital polisher with an old school motor and a power cord worth $400 ++ ?

for me, I don't care how good their reputation is.... There is no orbital polisher worth more than $200, anything more than that, you are paying money for hype.

There is 1 exception in my power tools..... A 3/4 inch drive impact wrench that is 18v which will pull lugs off of commercial vehicles. But I can't see a polisher costing an insane amount of money unless it polishes the vehicle by itself...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: technique vs tool selection

Technique is important and tool type is too.

Let's say you have a total newbie who has never even heard of a polisher before. You can teach him in about 30 minutes how to properly use a DA and he should be able to produce good results. With more experience you can refine it, be able to work faster and produce better results.

When it comes to tools, the basic 8mm polisher will never be able to compete with a long throw or forced rotation DA when it comes to speed of correction. You can take the best polisher in the world, give him a Porter Cable and take the newbie and give him a Rupes 21mm and the newbie will be able to do the job faster. When you get to super hard clearcoats, it's even more evident, the 8mm will simply not be able to get any work done. The 21mm will struggle but will be able to make a dent and a rotary will be able to correct the paint.

Making an abitrary decision that X amount of money is the most you should spend really depends on what you need the tool for. If you tell me that you are an enthousists who will use the tool to work only on his own car with soft paint, I see nothing wrong with it. If you are a professional who will make more money by saving time on each job, then I completelly disagree with you. Let's say I can save 1 hour on each polishing job, and 2 hours on each paint correction job using a 500$ tool. It won't take long at 50$ per hour for the tool to pay for itself. Also these tools are usually less damaging to your hands and wrists by having lower vibration and not fighting you as much (except the forced rotation ones I guess).

3. Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I look at it's the technique that you use with the given tools, technique usually trumps all. I will say thought that imho that yes you can do a great job with a Porter Canle with pads and chemicals from 10 years ago but with the newer big throw and gear driven tools it's easier, more efficient and more consistent in results.

Your take on anything over $200 is your opinion but being a carpenter by trade you're limiting yourself, I work with plenty of guys stuck in the past that use a 15lb saw with less revs because they believe ( from experience) that what they are using the best. I on the other hand will choose a lighter saw that revs more because it's easier on me, my mind and faster.

There's no question in my mind the newer tools are better, I'm getting too old to beat myself in the head anymore

Post Thanks / Like

In the hands of a professional or serious enthusiast, the pairing of a new tech tool, pads, and abrasives will net better results faster.

I think a seasoned veteran on standard tool (and a newbie on a new tech tool with the same pads and abrasives) will get better results faster.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll never forget a statement made by a photography teacher a long time ago...

"There is no such thing as a 'professional' camera, it's the user".

7. Likes rangerbay, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always think technique is the most important. The tools just compliment the technique!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I'll never forget a statement made by a photography teacher a long time ago...

"There is no such thing as a 'professional' camera, it's the user".
    I like this! I also believe this is true...look how long we've been getting excellent results with an 'old' PC!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

10. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I like this! I also believe this is true...look how long we've been getting excellent results with an 'old' PC!
    Until your client brings you a Mercedes and your most agressive compound and Micro-fiber pad does absolutelly nothing to it.

Post Thanks / Like

If nobody bought the $400 polishers the people selling the $200 polishers would have nothing to copy or no intellectual property to steal. Then there would be no $200 polishers.

13. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Until your client brings you a Mercedes and your most agressive compound and Micro-fiber pad does absolutelly nothing to it.

Then it'd be time to break out the other 'oldie'...the rotary!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

15. Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast