autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing a Family Car on Trip... Air Travel

Good Evening:

The next week I will be traveling to Southern California on business and will have an opportunity to see my family.

My sister asked me to wash and wax her car this year as a Christmas Gift... I agreed -this car was last washed by me December 2016. Then she threw me the curve-ball, that it is due for lease turn in in February, but they did their pre-inspection and noted that it is "very dirty" and ran it through an automatic car wash. They noted that unless she fixes it or buys it, they will be billing her up to $1400 to re-paint the driver-side fender and hood due to very apparent bad water-spots that "won't wash off," but otherwise the car is okay.

At any rate, my father bought a Grit's DA (the no thrills 8mm) with these pads:

5" Vented Backing Plate

Experience reduced surface tension, faster pad rotation, and quicker defect removal.
    (2) 5.5" Orange Foam Correcting Pads

These pads are the proper density for use with all of our polishes. They excel at removing light to moderate defects.
    5.5" Black Foam Finishing Pad

When used with polishes and sealants, this pad removes fine swirls, scratches, and light defects on the most delicate paint finishes.
    5.5" Red Foam Wax Pad

This pad is made for the precise, even application of waxes and sealants, ensuring easy product removal and vibrant, uniform color.

My dad basically volunteered that I might be able to remedy the paint... that I worked miracles with my mothers car that has 8 year old paint that still looks new.

Do you think that pad choice will be sufficient? Is their black finishing pad a polishing pad? I ask because usually I put waxes on with the black finishing pads in both the Lake Country and Meguiar's offerings. How much cut does the orange one have? I have a TON of the inexpensive 5.5" Lake Country Open-Celled pads... Should I bring any? I definitely want one that can polish and one that can do some cutting.

Will a LC pad run on the GG backing plate or is the hook and loop different?

Additionally, I asked my father what he has to polish with, and he said the only polish he bought was the Meguiar's 205 because that's what I told him to get started with...

Okay, so for air travel, is it any trouble to check a compound or two in your checked luggage?

What I have in my arsenal that has some correction ability:

SwirlX
    ScratchX
    ColorX
    Ultimate Compound
    Ultimate Polish
    Menzurna SF4500 (now 3800)
    Menzurna 2500
    Menzurna Heavy Cut 400 (Used to be FG 400)

If I can bring them checked in luggage, what would you bring??? I want to keep what I bring to a minimum.

2. Likes Oz_TCH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing a Family Car on Trip... Air Travel

If you don't want to check anything in, you can get ultimate compound locally when you arrive. I have not used those pads so I am not sure how they would work out.

Seeing as your dad already has M205 you are covered on the polish aspect.

What part of So Cal are they in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If you don't want to check anything in, you can get ultimate compound locally when you arrive. I have not used those pads so I am not sure how they would work out.

Seeing as your dad already has M205 you are covered on the polish aspect.

What part of So Cal are they in?

Thanks... San Diego County.

Post Thanks / Like

Get some white pads. Orange an white are my two go to pads.

I did my bosses Lexus LS470 a few years ago and carried everything I needed in my suitcase. Take the FG 400 and a sealant 4 orange pads 4 white pads and some mf towels and you are good to go.

Here's a link to a Porsche I did with FG400 one step. It was trashed with ahrd water spots.

2015 Black Porsche Cayenne Correction with FG400 and Polish Angel Master Sealant
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL