autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remove expired tag sticker?

Every year it’s the same struggle with the expired registration sticker that you put on your the license plate. At least in Florida, when you renew your car’s registration, you get a small yellow sticker with the expiration month and year. I always try to take off the old one, but I think they’re designed to be almost impossible to remove in one piece so they can’t be peeled off and put on another car.

Has anyone figured out an easier way of taking these off? I spent 25 minutes the other day trying to get it off. I ended up using a flat head screwdriver and gouging the hell out of the plate. I probably could have taken more time and been more careful, but i wasn’t in the mood. I’ve seen other cars where they just put the new one on a different spot on the tag so they end up with 10 stickers all over it. I don’t think that’s they way it’s supposed to work.

I also had the thought that maybe these would be easier to remove if you just put the new one on top of the old ones so you build up a thick layer and then after a few years, they’ll all come off in one piece. Kind of like Plastidip which is easier to peel off if it is applied with many layers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove expired tag sticker?

I live in PA and we had to do the same up until last year. I just carefully placed each sticker on top of the previous ones. I had 9 stacked by the time they said no more stickers.
    The more recent ones, say 5 years old or so, came out easily. The really old ones not so much. I used a plastic razor blade and that helped me clean it up but it did leave 2 spots with a small scratch on the plate’s painted surface.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I live in PA and we had to do the same up until last year. I just carefully placed each sticker on top of the previous ones. I had 9 stacked by the time they said no more stickers.
    The more recent ones, say 5 years old or so, came out easily. The really old ones not so much. I used a plastic razor blade and that helped me clean it up but it did leave 2 spots with a small scratch on the plate’s painted surface.
    Interesting. What is the system now since the state did away with the stickers? I might just do the stacking thing and eventually they send me a new tag and then start over.

Post Thanks / Like

I use an X-Atco 1/4" chisel blade that is honed down like a razor. Just be gentle and they will lift. Tad bit of solvent to remove the left over adhesive and all good. Having the license plate 'warm' helps a bunch. 'Nuther words, put it in the sun (or similar) for a bit.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, bug and tar remover, adhesive remover, decal remover, tree sap remover

Use to desolve most adhisive. Q-tips and work your way through the adhisive with a wide plastic tool of some kind, like a plastic razor. Put a mf towel or any other towel under where you spray it on if you go that route. Just let the chemicals dwell enough.

Edit: You can use a electric hair dryer to soften the adhisive up a bit.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Interesting. What is the system now since the state did away with the stickers? I might just do the stacking thing and eventually they send me a new tag and then start over.
    I guess they realized cops can pull up your plate and check the status anyways. So saves money making and mailing stickers to everyone.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

On some of our vehicles:
    •I just stack ‘em.

On the other ones:
    •Heat gun/hair dryer (set on low heat)
    •Plastic razor blade(s)
    •3M Adhesive Remover

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

On another note..what about safety inspection stickers on plastic bumpers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Are you in Hawaii? That's the only state I've ever lived which put them in that location and I found them impossible to remove. I still occasionally see cars at work with Hawaii inspection stickers years after the owner has moved back to the mainland.

I recall seeing these little metal plates people either attached to the bottom of the lisence plate bracket or mounted to hange below the bumper. The sticker was applied to the metal plate to save the paint. I have no idea if they were fabricated in a shop or actually purchased somewhere.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast