autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are they thinking?

In July a Chemical Guys store opened in Glen Burnie, Maryland (not in the area that I live). While out for a drive one day I decided to go and check it out just to look around. Nothing I wanted. Just curious. Needed to put some miles on the 370Z. When I got there I tried to open the door and it was locked. It was closed on a Monday. At least I had a nice drive. Have not gone back since.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread stimulates a lot of CG noise and it dawned on me that much of the noise comes from lack of respect for what CG does.

It is a lot like the 'vette or BMW owners taking shots at the import tuners who are hopping up Hyundai's. Not cool. Your rig is more expensive and more cool but you're disrespecting those import tuners who are at a different place in life than you are.

CG customers aren't here yet but many will eventually get here. Respect them for trying and respect them for taking at least a cursory interest.

3. Likes JWallace, custmsprty, oneheadlite, dlc95, mumps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the above note, I like Pete’s 53! That’s it though. CG Hex pads suck

5. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Pete's 53 is a great nuba for sure!

Silk Shine is still my all time favorite interior product and I pretty much have them all and still it's my go to.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Pete's 53 is a great nuba for sure!

Silk Shine is still my all time favorite interior product and I pretty much have them all and still it's my go to.
    Hexlogic pads are OK in my experience. Clay and clay pad is OK, too.

They have competent products (glass cleaner, shampoos, interior cleaners), I just think there are better ones out there (i.e. Palm Beach Motoring family, Collinite, Meg's Detailer line, etc.).

I rate them on par with Meg's Ultimate and other lines that are available at retail stores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    Hexlogic pads are OK in my experience. Clay and clay pad is OK, too.

They have competent products (glass cleaner, shampoos, interior cleaners), I just think there are better ones out there (i.e. Palm Beach Motoring family, Collinite, Meg's Detailer line, etc.).

I rate them on par with Meg's Ultimate and other lines that are available at retail stores.
    Didn't they try the Walmart route?

Post Thanks / Like

CG has some decent products. Some good waxes except for Lava(a runny mess), soaps are not bad but they just have too many with no real reason, except to sell more soap. V7 is billed as a sealant, but it lasts as long as a QD. I really like their fragrances, which reminds me we haven’t had a discussion on Stripper scent in a while. Baby powder, cinnamon, and sweat. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Interesting, probably wants to sell you some kind of glaze to cover swirls on a black car. Also, no such thing as an iBird. It's actually a Bigfoot Nano. The iBrid part is the technology behind the tool.
    Interesting. Guess you need to let AG know they should call it a Bigfoot Nano ibird in their descriptions. I've seen it called an ibird on here at least a couple hundred times. A few of those by Rupes employees. So if that is indeed the technical name surely you can see my confusion...

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Sounds about the same as the other CG stores <shrug>.
    I didn't know CG had any stores. I did hear about the Walmart thing a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Never heard of iBirds. Are they Apple's attempt at the animal kingdom?

As for the salesman skills, he should not require any. This industry is pretty straight forward. All you need to know is what product does what. I really doubt people are shopping around from store to store. It's not like you will visit 5 stores to decide what wax or polish you will use on your car.

As for business hours, 10 to 7 is better than most stores around here. The only specialized detailing stores I know of in Montreal have horrible hours. Usually 9 to 5 weekdays and 9 to 12 on saturdays. Closed on sundays. So basically, anytime I have time to go there, they are closed.

Not a fan of Chemical guys products. I might use some of them, like their Honeydew snow foam or VRP dressing, but I would not go out to buy any of their products. With that being said, they have a full lineup of products, so if they carry all the CG products, you will have several choices for each type of products.

As for location, this is a very specialized market. If they want affordable rent, they can't be in a great location. Around here detailing product shops are in industrial areas. Very inconveniant but I don't think they have much choice.
    Definitely some valid points. I spent my life in retail/management. I tend to be a little critical when it comes to salesmanship and customer service. In my opinion if they are paying he to work at a retail store he should be trying to sell, especially when I was the only one in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Umm, you call him out for not knowing what an “ibird” is, but at the same time you drive yourself to a Chemical Guys store yet somehow don’t know it’s a Chemical Guys store... Alrighty then. Lol.

Btw, the hours and location can’t be all that bad... Afterall you found it and didn’t even know where you were at.What are  they thinking?lol.
    A couple weeks ago a kid from the Camaro club told me about a big grand opening of a detailing supply store and wanted me to go. I went, never went in the store. The store doesn't say Chemical Guys anywhere on it, otherwise OBVIOUSLY I would have known. Alrighty then...

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    What the hell is an ibird??????????? I'd say your knowledge matches that of the people at the store.
    It called an ibird all over AG and Autopia's web site, not to mention my response earlier in this post. Were you trying to make this personal, or was that the best you could come up with to pile on and be "one of the gang"

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    i like those hours!!!!
    If you're an employee sure lol

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    This thread stimulates a lot of CG noise and it dawned on me that much of the noise comes from lack of respect for what CG does.

It is a lot like the 'vette or BMW owners taking shots at the import tuners who are hopping up Hyundai's. Not cool. Your rig is more expensive and more cool but you're disrespecting those import tuners who are at a different place in life than you are.

CG customers aren't here yet but many will eventually get here. Respect them for trying and respect them for taking at least a cursory interest.
    I don't disrespect CG. Their pad cleaner I don't care for. I've used a few of their products. Love Blacklight and V7 on dark colors. My experience in that store definitely left a lot to be desired and I don't know of many retail establishments that open later than 9:00. I'm sure there are some, none that I deal with. If they can afford to open all these stores they must be doing something right.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I respect your opinion, Dave. (I have also read the term iBrid a lot. Correct or not).

I have never tried any CG products. This is because of mixed reviews. A minority seems to like, and the majority does not seem to like.

Enough for me to move on to the next product line.

Make sense?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Thanks DaveT435 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ibrid not ibird. It’s because it “BRIDges the gap between corded and cordless tools. They will probably do Ibrid technology in their bigger tools soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

14. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast