autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My wife is thinking about signing up for a future Roadshow Detailing Class: I知 overwhelmed

Mine isn't going to be as long as Tom's, however, I attended the same class, but was only able to attend one day, which was Friday.

I was floored when I arrived and saw how well everything was organized for the day's "activities". Make sure you wear comfortable clothing because you will work. Mike starts the class by going over the plan of the day and introductions-then you start the work.

The cost of admission to me was worth it just for the fact that we got to try out so many different products, buffers, polishes, tools, and several techniques. Mike went into great detail and was a great teacher.

All of the other folks that attended from AutoGeek, Sonax, and Flex were also a big help. We ended up working on 6 different vehicles and we learned about paint correction, compounding, polishing, sealing, ceramic coatings, plastic polishing (headlights) and restoration, PPF polishing, one-step paint protection, tire protection, wheel cleaning, all sorts of tools for making the job easier and faster.

I used the Makita buffer, 3 different FLex polishers, Griot's DA, Rupes (3 different polishers), etc, etc.

For $500.00 it's a bargain.

Next time I will sign up for both days.

Steve K.

2. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My wife is thinking about signing up for a future Roadshow Detailing Class: I知 overwhelmed

R Chicago, you have a way with words. Well spoken. I agree with you on attending the 2 day show.

I did the Windsor NJ a little while ago. Looking in catalogs and online videos will not help me make the decision on what to use or buy.

While at the class we had one car in particular, a V12 Jag that might have looked as it was pulled out of a field to use as a patient for our class. Do the baggy test on the paint and it felt like you wiped your hand across a chain link fence. It was horrible.

Then Mike Phillips steps in and tells you how to "cure" this patient using a wash, claybar pads then decontaminate the paint. We used Blackfire one step on the car and it came out smooth as glass.
    Why? he taught you that some chemist put together this system and when you used it as intended (not mixing pads to polishers and brand x liquids) you can get the desired result you wanted.
    When we were done with this car, you did not want any more. This paint now popped and shined better than new. On top of that we then did Blackfire paint protection on it.
    It looked even better.

I guess this car gave me the confidence that I can help out my 5 vehicles I have in my home. I can take one that needs help and actually make it better.

Before this class, I was very happy using my Porter Cable machine. But after attending the class. I find I was not using it to its fullest potential. I learned here and anyone can learn from one of these classes. I have since updated my equipment by purchasing the Boss 21 long throw buffer and other stuff.

Is this class made to sell you stuff. NO. But it introduces you to many different products and equipment. Now you have hands on experience trying them out and forming an opinion on them. Actual use on a vehicle and seeing what you did to the paint is worth the price of the 2 day class. 3 of my vehicles will be getting a complete make over. My wife's Rav 4 is first.

Dan Tran, don't hesitate. sign up for the class. You will get dirty, maybe even sweaty. But you will love it.

It has the best person teaching you while explaining things to you from his experience. To paraphrase a line from the movie Patton. "Mike Phillips, you magnificent person, I read your book!"

Think of it as therapy. Its what makes me happy giving some lovin' to my cars.

best of luck

Matt Guesto
    Last edited by mguesto; 07-20-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added comments

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan,

I took the AG 2-day roadshow in NJ last month and it was well worth it.

First of all, you have the opportunity to learn directly from Mike Phillips. Mike brought in cool cars for us to work on. How many people could say the buffed out a 61 Jag, 67 Vet, and a 57 Chevy over the weekend?

You also get a chance to work with all of the polishers on the market: Griots, Rupes, Flex, ect.

After taking the class, you could decide what machine you like before you purchase. We also worked with different paint correction systems- Rupes, Pinnacle, Sonax and Griots Boss. Mike also covers much more such as: convertible top care, plastic (convertible tops) and glass polishing, engine bay detailing, coating application (for both paint and tires), and much more.

I also liked how he covered doing production detailing (high quality) using BlackFires One Step (all in one)- I actually did a write-up about the product after the class.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You won’t be disappointed by attending these classes.

Everyone there has an opportunity for hands on experience and the pleasure of being taught by Mike Phillips who is by far the best of the best when it comes to detailing.

I attended the Windsor, NJ class for 1day and wished I attended for both days.

I hope the road show makes it way back to NJ for I will certainly be there again!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Dan,

Initially I debated the cost of the event but I guarantee you it was worth every penny.

You get to trial all the latest polishers, different pads, products to determine which you prefer. The Autogeek forum is nice with many personal preferences and opinions but there s nothing like personal experience.

I will tell you there is some classroom discussion sessions with great powerpoints and tips from the master detailer, Mike Phillips but this is only part of the this course.

The core of the course is hands on detailing on some very expensive, classic hotrods and exotics cars not a hood from the junkyard all under the tutellage of Mike. You will be working for a good 7-8 hours but very enjoyable and all done with great people, some hobbyists and many professional, all as team learning to become a better detailer.

I personally was a hobbyist but was treated by all with great respect and camaraderie.

In summary I had a ball and wish to attend another one in the near future.

P.S.
    The new classes have a added bonus, early sign-ups receive a $100 or $200 store credit to Autogeek! What a great deal BTW Mike if you are reading this why was it not instituted last year. LOL

P.P.S.
    I took my course at Lake Country a fantastic facilty and David Patterson and the crew where superb hosts, highly recommended if not already full.

P.P.P.S.
    Look at the photos of the products Mike and Yancy ship for this event. You have to be impressed!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to Mike's seminar in Windsor NJ and we actually used my Mercedes as part of training. The best part was the option of using different orbitals and polishes. I was looking to purchase an orbital and this helped me decide. I was not able to participate the second day but I will definitely take that course when Mike returns to NJ in the future.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thanks for the Roadshow classes. The venue at Indianapolis was awesome. And working on that Caddy was a treat too.

This was my first class or experience with polishing equipment. Mike is so thorough, yet explains the equipment and products in a common sense manner that even a
    beginner was not overwhelmed. He goes over a lot of brands, tools, products and techniques while explaining the pluses and minuses of each one. Didn't feel like he
    was selling one method over another. I got to work on three different cars in one day, and try out several different machines. The amount of equipment and products they brought was impressive. Just wish I had the time to attend the second day. Guess I'll have another class to look forward to. Highly recommend.

Mike D.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moose,
    I don't know your level of skill in detailing, but I can tell you that no matter where you are on the detailing ladder, you will come away with a vast amount of knowledge and skills that you did not have before! I walked into the NJ Road Show and the first thing I saw was dozens of all the popular polishing machines available today. Rows and rows of product from different lines. Microfiber of all colors and shapes stacked high. And on the floor for us to learn on: A 1965 Corvette Sting Ray and a 1961 Jaguar XKE convertible! All waiting for me to learn. You would be hard pressed to create this type of experience any place else!
    And then there is Mike Phillips and his staff. If you are ready to learn, there is a never ending level of top notch guidance and support. Mike has been doing this for over 36 years and has pretty much done it all. And he tells fascinating stories to keep your attention all through the day!
    Whether you want to learn how to take better care of your own cars, be a part time detailer like me, or do this full time, this is the place to grow your skills and make great new friends along the way. My only regret was attending on Friday only. If you can do both days, do it and don't think twice. It's worth it!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After being out of auto detailing for some time I decided to jump back in and take a class (Indy).

Man alive how things have changed, everything from new Microfiber towels and the products used have grown by leaps and bounds.

While only a weekend warrior, the class was very informative and Mike Phillips and his crew of instructors do a outstanding job of teaching and demonstrating various technics to get the job done right.

thanks again Mike, it was a pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 30 years in detailing and still love what I do.

That said I can guarantee you I'd learn a lot by taking one of his classes.

I spoke with Mike a couple of months ago and discussed his classes, may go to one.

For me not only would I learn something but using so many products would be big.

My staff would love for me to go so they'd have some peace. Ha

Never stop learning.

Just Go!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast