autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it smart for me to spend 1800 on a 3 weekend course on detailing?

Hello my name is Cole Hepburn this is my second post here and LOVE the blog. I have been detailing for 9 years from the nastiest cars to new off the lot details. I worked in a number of dealer ships and now I am at an autobody shop but I plan to start my own thing one day and hopfully leads to a shop. This 3 weekend course is about 1850 . The trainer is an exotic car detailer from Toronto. ( Should of mentioned I'm in Ontario) she is going to train top to bottom all the interior and teach polishing and I think some coating talk as well and demos . Now I am an avid learner and I think the more you learn and learn from different people the more well you know. But I am having an issue with slapping almost 1900 on a training when I don't no if it will give me much value am I looking at it the wrong way ? Should I be more looking at the value of the teacher and not what is on paper or over the phone? ..

BTW I am a single father and 1900 is a far chunk of change for me .

Thank you if you answer back

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it smart for me to spend 1800 on a 3 weekend course on detailing?

My opinion doesn’t really matter but I think the course could be worth if you are serious about going into full time detailing... but as s fellow father, only if it doesn’t impact your financial situation too seriously and you think you need more know-how than the 9 years of lessons learned that you’ve already gone through. There, safe answer, but yeah do it if feasible.

3. Thanks Colehep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same question for myself,. I would love to go to Competition Ready with Mike. I do not have an answer, but I have a thought. Sometimes we just have to make a decision and then live our lives in a way that ensures that the decision was a good one. Also, you may be able to spend a few minutes on the phone with that trainer and get a feel for the value for free.
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

5. Thanks Colehep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

See if your current company would pay for the training, or maybe split it with you 50/50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    See if your current company would pay for the training, or maybe split it with you 50/50.
    I thought about that but it's an autobody shop I just take out all the painters screw ups and do a lite vac and wipe for finger prints . So it's not really his kind of business but I guess it couldn't hurt to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

For that investment I'd hop on a plane and head to Stuart Florida and attend Mike Phillips Competition Ready 3 Day detailing course. Mike's resume speaks for itself. There is a lot that goes into paint correction etc and understanding the paint systems is extremely important. Mike has decades of hands on experience and teaching experience.

As far as the investment, that is a decsion you need to make based upon the investment and what you think you will get out of it. Will you get a return on your investment.

Mike has had people travel from all over to attend his classes.

car detailing class, how to detail a car instructional class, mike phillips detailing class, best detailing classes for detailing
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

9. Thanks Colehep, JKDesign thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Goonie75, kevincwelch, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    For that investment I'd hop on a plane and head to Stuart Florida and attend Mike Phillips Competition Ready 3 Day detailing course. Mike's resume speaks for itself. There is a lot that goes into paint correction etc and understanding the paint systems is extremely important. Mike has decades of hands on experience and teaching experience.

As far as the investment, that is a decsion you need to make based upon the investment and what you think you will get out of it. Will you get a return on your investment.

car detailing class, how to detail a car instructional class, mike phillips detailing class, best detailing classes for detailing
    ^^^^This^^^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes Colehep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

I will have to look into his ! Thank you for the answer

13. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a big chunk of change.

For my money I'd want the most reputable, and consistent education possible.

I don't think Mike Phillips training would be too far off that mark price wise.

And that's not to disparage the person you're considering, just what I would do with that cash.

Plus, you get to go to Florida!

15. Likes custmsprty, Colehep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it comes down to reputation, credibility, time, desire, etc. I'd ask you if the other detailer has helped you to the extent Mike P has done for you and a host of others. I toyed around with going to Detail Camp after watching tons of videos, reading all I could, etc. On a whim and the desire to know more, I contacted Mike P to see if the upcoming class (it was Sept 2014) had openings left and he responded that it did if I acted quickly. I was able to meet other detailers, meet Autogeek staff, see Mike and Nick in action, meet the Flex mgmt team (they even bought me breakfast one morning), meet Bob McKee, practice, learn from others, confirm my passion and skill, etc. That's not likely to be replicated anywhere else. Still cherish that time. You'll decide but if you want my advice and opinion, get to Stuart, Fl. I detail part time for money (have a full time love for it) but my clients and even those just inquiring know I'm knowledgeable and skilled. Autogeek, Mike, Nick, studying and practice got me there. FYI.

P.S. My family and I were driving back to Atlanta from Miami. The toll road goes right by Autogeek so we made a detour. I stopped into Autogeek but Mike P wasn't in. I stopped into McKees and ran into Nick, Joe (Next Level Detail) and Bob McKee. They treated us very well. This Staurt family does it well.

17. Thanks Colehep thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast