autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappearing thread after posting.

Why does the thread disappear after posting? Autopia doesn't do that. Isn't AG using the same program?

Mike Phillips

Re: Disappearing thread after posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Why does the thread disappear after posting?
    It doesn't.

What it the title of the thread you started that you say has disappeared?

Autopia doesn't do that.
    Correct and neither does AGO.

Isn't AG using the same program?
    Correct. AGO and Autopia (and most quality forums), use vBulletin software. I have an article on this from 2010....

Discussion Forums - A relatively "new" invention...

Not sure what could be going on Ron but our software is up to date and working correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on which option you use to view threads in my experience.

In the past I always used the "new posts" link at the top of the page and it would always show my posts and threads along with other daily activity. After the forum was last updated, that quit working for me and if I commented on a post and then selected "new posts" again, that thread would drop off the listing and would no longer show up until someone else commented on it. The work around for that is the "get daily" link at the top of the forum page. If you use that, you'll see your posts like you always have.

My workflow now is to use the "new posts" link in the morning to see everything I've missed, but after that one time I only use the "get daily" link from then on to get a better picture of activity. For whatever reason, Autopia works like AG used to prior to the most recent upgrade and the "get daily" link isn't needed.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

So weird how everyone does things differently....

I click to the home page and look at "Recent Threads". If something doesn't catch my eye I move on...

I couldn't tell from Ron's post if what you're citing could be the issue, I thought by the way he wrote the title he meant he was started a new thread and it disappeared?

Sometimes more words is gooder

:dunno;

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    It doesn't.

What it the title of the thread you started that you say has disappeared?

Correct and neither does AGO.

Correct. AGO and Autopia (and most quality forums), use vBulletin software. I have an article on this from 2010....

Discussion Forums - A relatively "new" invention...

Not sure what could be going on Ron but our software is up to date and working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

In the past I always used the "new posts" link at the top of the page and it would always show my posts and threads along with other daily activity. After the forum was last updated, that quit working for me and if I commented on a post and then selected "new posts" again, that thread would drop off the listing and would no longer show up until someone else commented on it. The work around for that is the "get daily" link at the top of the forum page. If you use that, you'll see your posts like you always have.

My workflow now is to use the "new posts" link in the morning to see everything I've missed, but after that one time I only use the "get daily" link from then on to get a better picture of activity. For whatever reason, Autopia works like AG used to prior to the most recent upgrade and the "get daily" link isn't needed.
    Exactly as stated above by Desertnate..so my question is why does a thread show up on Autopia after viewing/reply and not with AG?

Post Thanks / Like

Just clicked on "Get Daily" and the thread show up at the top of the page, however when I clicked on new post the thread is not there. I guess it's no big deal, but again it doesn't do that on Autopia.

I've used the "New Post" button for years and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. LOL

Mike Phillips

Just clicked on "Get Daily" and the thread show up at the top of the page, however when I clicked on new post the thread is not there. I guess it's no big deal, but again it doesn't do that on Autopia.

I've used the "New Post" button for years and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. LOL

I have know idea why this is happening but - I'll send the link to this thread to our vB Mechanic and see if he can figure it out.

My guess is it's a "setting" in the vB Settings.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain! I still have to force myself to use the "Get Daily" link even after all these weeks since the change. I instinctually go for the "new posts" link.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Spoke with our Admin, he says the change is a "VBulletin" change with software updates.

Why the software and interface engineers break what's not broken none of us have any idea?

He's going to look and see if there's any options to make changes and get back to me.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought there was another thread about this because I lot of us that use the "new posts" button got confused about what was happening after the last upgrade.

Just searched, and yes, there is another thread:

Disappearing Thread