autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Checking back in

Man, lots of things have changed in my life since being active last. I dont know where to start. Not sure where I left off really.

I have retired from the Air Force and left Germany to come back state side. At first I lived with my grandfather while I started to begin a new life. At first I didnt do anything job wise for probably two months. At first it was great as I was living the "retired" life at 33 years old but soon realized I needed to get out on my own and support my family. I thought I would go back into the vehicle maintenance field where I spent my whole career in the military as a mechanic. I got on board with a major trucking outfit as a mechanic for the tractor/trailers. At first it was alright in that they worked with me getting my up to speed on the civilian side. Soon after I started hearing about maintaining clock hour on jobs performed and quickly realized that I had to step up my pace that it was not lax like it was in the military where I had all day if needed/wanted to fix a truck. Nope this punching time isnt for me. I reached an agreement with the company that I would just be let go no harm no foul. Well back to the retired life. A few more weeks passed and I started looking again for work as a mechanic. I had quite a few dealers call me in for interviews and had jobs on the spot provided I sign the dotted line but the pay just wasn't there like I was hoping. At the last dealer interview the service manager took time out of his day and spent an hour with me going over what the civilian side of the world is all about. Things that would later benefit me down the road. All he had at the time was an entry level tech spot and there was no way I could make it work financially no matter which angle I tried. I thanked him for his time and moved on although maintain contact with him.

Soon after I had another interview/offer at a commercial truck dealership as a service foreman. The starting pay was ok and was salaried. Also a management position. No more worrying about maintaining time logged on jobs. I started the following day and have been with them for 7 months now. I have also moved from my grandfathers house an bought a brand new house in Illinois near Scott Air Force base. I have been busy getting the house squared away and my next project is to start working on the garage to transform it to the way I need it.

I will be getting back on more often as time permits to contribute what I can. I really look forward to being an active member again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Checking back in

awesome to hear from you, glad to have you back mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing, Mike.

Wishing you all the best, man.

And thank you for your service to our great country.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Mike! Glad to hear from you!

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear your progressing forward Mike. Ive been making some transitions as well. Quitting my day job of 7 years to pursue detailing full time now after 3 years part time.

Click on image to view work

7. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike.

Welcome back buddy. I must say, it has been a little strange without you on the forum. I have no experience in what you have been going through but I guess it would be a fair bit different being a civilian & I'm sure it isn't something that gets thought of too often from outsiders. Nice to read you are in a good spot now Mike.

Also from a Kiwi - Thank You for your service Mike.

As much as you signed up for your country, being that we Kiwis are on the same team essentially you served for us too.

Excited to see what you do with your garage at home mate. Be sure to document it for us & when you have time please share as well. Good to have you back, now . . . whats your opinion on the cordless Flex tools?

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Checking back in

Great to see you again and glad to hear you’re on the right track. Checking back in

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Mike... your forum contributions have been missed.

Always enjoy your take on products and techniques! Checking back in
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome home Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Mike...Good to hear from you !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast