autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

FALKEN Ziex ZE950 A/S ... snow update

I've had the Falkens for over a month now and we have had two decent snow-snow & ice storms. So far, I have only broke traction twice (not including the one little skip on the highway that had less sideways movement that a power shift).

In roughly 200 miles of highway driving with moderate 1" packed snow and 2" slush, I've had no issues maintaining traction, acceleration/braking/turning (keeping the speeds down match the conditions obviously).

Now, OFF the highway, there have been two minor incidents involving loss of traction. The first one was a right hand, uphill 90* turn from a stop (heavy snow). There was no fishtailing, but the tires did spin to the point where the 'traction control' was activated and the light on the dash was flashing like crazy, BUT, I was still able to accelerate up the hill decently although a little slow.

The second issue was a downhill to uphill 90* left turn back onto my street from a slowing roll. The main street was OK, except for the turning lane that I was in and my street was still covered in packed snow. As I made the turn and gave it a little gas to start up the hill, it fishtailed about a foot to the right, but it came back immediately as soon as I corrected.

Then this past Friday, we had an ice storm, followed by HEAVY snow. My driveway had drifts that were up over a foot tall, with an average of 6" over the rest of the surface ... then there was the hump at the street end of the driveway courtesy of the city plow truck that was at least 18" wide and anywhere from a foot to 16" tall. My car had been in the garage so it hadn't gotten dumped on and the wife's Explorer was an icicle - so my car got taken to the store. Getting out of the garage, through the drifted snow and over the plow hump in reverse, the car went through it like it had 4wd. Then again coming home, crossing the hump and down the driveway to the garage was like I had 4wd.

So far, I am impressed with these tires.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FALKEN Ziex ZE950 A/S ... snow update

Don,

Nice report. I've heard Falkens often get good marks for winter traction. I opted for Continentals, and am happy with those as well.

Mind saying what part of North East Ohio? I live in Concord / Mentor area in Lake County, and drive to Ashtabula every day for work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    Don,

Nice report. I've heard Falkens often get good marks for winter traction. I opted for Continentals, and am happy with those as well.

Mind saying what part of North East Ohio? I live in Concord / Mentor area in Lake County, and drive to Ashtabula every day for work.
    I live in Akron, but work in Cleveland, roughly 43 miles one way.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear Don! I've been very pleased with the DWS06's thus far too. AWD though really helps I still miss my LM-32's though.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)