autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 359 of 363 FirstFirst ... 259309349350351352353354355356357358359360361362363 LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 3629
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today non-detailing related?

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Thanks!
    What a bummer on the headliner! Do you do a lot of windows down driving, or it’s just inevitable on those?
    While I suppose there are exceptions, this is a very common occurrence for Porsche; something to do with the OEM glue and foam under the fabric…it just degrades after a few years…8 in this case. New headliner is around $600, buys you another 8 years What did you do today non-detailing related?

Gonna talk to a guy who we contract w for interior jobs at work, see what he says about a more permanent re-do

Next ‘typical’ bummer is warped door cards/panels. Guy in Florida has a nice business fixing them: PedrosGarage Door Panel Warping and Delamination Repair

They pull away along the top edge due to (imagine this) poor OEM glue.

Mine are pulling ever so slightly so guess it’ll totally happen eventually. DIY is possible for that one: https://youtu.be/jGhXY9xdaK8?si=vdSG2_mdXrZuwAuF

Ferrari has sticky buttons ( Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions – Refinishing Services for Exotic Car Interiors ) & Porsche has saggy headliners and warped door cards.

Guess every mfg has Achilles Heel items that live on for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a better shot when they were new.
    I love how American's keep their lawns, thick and lush. Here, we scalp them, which is not ideal for a variety of reasons.

I went deep down the rabbit hole of wood working when I was at high school. I went from absolutely hating compulsory 7th grade woodwork classes, to it being one of my favorite subjects, one I carried right through until 12th grade. I nearly became a cabinet maker but got sidetracked with horticulture and ended up following in my grandmothers' footsteps into the nursery industry. Then I got a car and my interest in woodwork drifted.

So, any chance I get mess about with timber is an enjoyable experience. I built these plant stands last Autumn to replace an older set that had seen their best days.

I ended up repairing and repainting the old stands, which I then used to rehash the native area displays.

I then carried the momentum by using old pallets as display tables.

Sadly, I don't think my efforts were very well received.

3. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent the day helping my nephew move house. He's bought his first home at 34, so I helped him load and unload five trailer loads of everything in the house. Luckily it's only about 2km between his old rental and the new place. We'll still have to do one more trip tomorrow, we were too tired to finish today.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

5. Likes DFB, bill walsh, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I love how American's keep their lawns, thick and lush. Here, we scalp them, which is not ideal for a variety of reasons.

I went deep down the rabbit hole of wood working when I was at high school. I went from absolutely hating compulsory 7th grade woodwork classes, to it being one of my favorite subjects, one I carried right through until 12th grade. I nearly became a cabinet maker but got sidetracked with horticulture and ended up following in my grandmothers' footsteps into the nursery industry. Then I got a car and my interest in woodwork drifted.

So, any chance I get mess about with timber is an enjoyable experience. I built these plant stands last Autumn to replace an older set that had seen their best days.

I ended up repairing and repainting the old stands, which I then used to rehash the native area displays.

I then carried the momentum by using old pallets as display tables.

Sadly, I don't think my efforts were very well received.
    I tend to keep my grass a notch longer than most of my neighbors (well, 2 or 3 compared to my direct back neighbor - they've got a rider and they absolutely scalp theirs. :huh:

I also don't run our sprinklers as often as everyone else; as much as I love a green yard at a certain point I just feel guilty with the state of the world these days...
    We have summer watering restrictions where you're only supposed to water every-other day (dictated by house number - odds/evens); my next door neighbor continues to water twice a day even when I remind him..

I like what you did for the displays. Chamfered edges and countersunk holes show that they weren't just thrown together. And having them throughout your store adds a nice subliminal sense of continuity.
    I like the pallet idea as well; I think it's a nice upgrade for displaying things with minimal outlay for the business.

Regarding your efforts being not well received, I'm just gonna be so bold as to say: Screw em. I feel like you and I both hold a sense of pride for the work we do and go out of the way to do those little things that just make the final product better , even if the boss would rather you take that extra 2 minutes elsewhere or if *most* customers wouldn't even notice.

But it's important to do those things that give you satisfaction in the day-to-day, where you know that there will be that customer that notices and appreciates that extra mile you went. Or a local rep or a competitor comes through and looks and says to themself - "Well, hey...". Like I try and drive into the guys at work - it's about trying to elevate ourselves above all the other animals out there.

On the woodworking front, I feel like it's going to become my hobby that I identify with. For years I've considered detailing my hobby, but have always said when people as that it's my "Aspirational Hobby" - as in I aspire one day for it to be my hobby.

I love detailing. I love taking something "less" and making it "more". I enjoy the zen like process of engaging in something with great focus. The notion of taking different avenues to reach the same destination by trying different products.

But the reality of my situation is that as much as I enjoy it, my free-time gets focused on family time and keeping up with the normal day-to-day house stuff.

My day starts at about 5:30, leave for work at 6, get back home around 530/6 with commute, then by the time dinner is done and the kid's in bed it's 9. I'm much better at dishes than cooking, so I do the former since the Mrs does the latter. So, reset the kitchen and the day is shot.
    Needless to say, I just haven't been able to make weeknights a thing. Saturdays are house cleaning day (short version: when I had my first house by myself, I did not keep it well; my mental state is much better when we keep up on the house. Plus with 160 lbs (73kg) worth of 2 dogs and a 9 year old human, it just needs to be cleaned every weekend), Sundays are taking the kid to gymnastics + grocery shopping and whatever else.

All that venting is just to say that when I finally do get to do car stuff, it ends up being as fast as I can possibly do it, which I get ZERO enjoyment out of. Plus the fact that I have a 'Geek's standards and eye for paint defects, I can only go so fast or do so much of an "abbreviated clean". I've tried breaking projects into sections, but with a 75-80 mile commute progress quickly gets un-done. And even when I've taken a day off to go through "the works", again it only lasts so long.

I had the realization when I was doing the painting table for my wife that woodworking gives me the mental outlet I need - I have much more time to *think* about stuff than actively work on things - So throughout the day I can think through design elements and come up with execution ideas. It's a whole new topic to research which I also enjoy.

Plus, each day while I was working on her table during my lunch break it occurred to me - there's no losing ground like it feels sometimes with detailing. Even if I only got one board cut, or even just marked out, it will be there waiting for me when I can get back to it.

Having decided to go as much hand-tool work as I can, it again is about learning and refining the process. As I was able to mark out and freehand cut legit 90° cuts, it's that same satisfaction as polishing out a panel to defect free perfection.

Sorry for the probably corny, overly wordy run through, but just wanted to share where I'm at. My activity on here has largely dropped off from a posting standpoint because I just haven't been able to be out detailing. I still visit and keep up on reading because I like this little corner of the internet - I appreciate the people, their knowledge, and the good-group vibe.

7. Thanks Big Dave, DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

went to the dentist, which is always fun... :/
    i am the jump starter.

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to keep my grass a notch longer than most of my neighbors (well, 2 or 3 compared to my direct back neighbor - they've got a rider and they absolutely scalp theirs. :huh:

I also don't run our sprinklers as often as everyone else; as much as I love a green yard at a certain point I just feel guilty with the state of the world these days...
    We have summer watering restrictions where you're only supposed to water every-other day (dictated by house number - odds/evens); my next door neighbor continues to water twice a day even when I remind him..

I like what you did for the displays. Chamfered edges and countersunk holes show that they weren't just thrown together. And having them throughout your store adds a nice subliminal sense of continuity.
    I like the pallet idea as well; I think it's a nice upgrade for displaying things with minimal outlay for the business.

Regarding your efforts being not well received, I'm just gonna be so bold as to say: Screw em. I feel like you and I both hold a sense of pride for the work we do and go out of the way to do those little things that just make the final product better , even if the boss would rather you take that extra 2 minutes elsewhere or if *most* customers wouldn't even notice.

But it's important to do those things that give you satisfaction in the day-to-day, where you know that there will be that customer that notices and appreciates that extra mile you went. Or a local rep or a competitor comes through and looks and says to themself - "Well, hey...". Like I try and drive into the guys at work - it's about trying to elevate ourselves above all the other animals out there.

On the woodworking front, I feel like it's going to become my hobby that I identify with. For years I've considered detailing my hobby, but have always said when people as that it's my "Aspirational Hobby" - as in I aspire one day for it to be my hobby.

I love detailing. I love taking something "less" and making it "more". I enjoy the zen like process of engaging in something with great focus. The notion of taking different avenues to reach the same destination by trying different products.

But the reality of my situation is that as much as I enjoy it, my free-time gets focused on family time and keeping up with the normal day-to-day house stuff.

My day starts at about 5:30, leave for work at 6, get back home around 530/6 with commute, then by the time dinner is done and the kid's in bed it's 9. I'm much better at dishes than cooking, so I do the former since the Mrs does the latter. So, reset the kitchen and the day is shot.
    Needless to say, I just haven't been able to make weeknights a thing. Saturdays are house cleaning day (short version: when I had my first house by myself, I did not keep it well; my mental state is much better when we keep up on the house. Plus with 160 lbs (73kg) worth of 2 dogs and a 9 year old human, it just needs to be cleaned every weekend), Sundays are taking the kid to gymnastics + grocery shopping and whatever else.

All that venting is just to say that when I finally do get to do car stuff, it ends up being as fast as I can possibly do it, which I get ZERO enjoyment out of. Plus the fact that I have a 'Geek's standards and eye for paint defects, I can only go so fast or do so much of an "abbreviated clean". I've tried breaking projects into sections, but with a 75-80 mile commute progress quickly gets un-done. And even when I've taken a day off to go through "the works", again it only lasts so long.

I had the realization when I was doing the painting table for my wife that woodworking gives me the mental outlet I need - I have much more time to *think* about stuff than actively work on things - So throughout the day I can think through design elements and come up with execution ideas. It's a whole new topic to research which I also enjoy.

Plus, each day while I was working on her table during my lunch break it occurred to me - there's no losing ground like it feels sometimes with detailing. Even if I only got one board cut, or even just marked out, it will be there waiting for me when I can get back to it.

Having decided to go as much hand-tool work as I can, it again is about learning and refining the process. As I was able to mark out and freehand cut legit 90° cuts, it's that same satisfaction as polishing out a panel to defect free perfection.

Sorry for the probably corny, overly wordy run through, but just wanted to share where I'm at. My activity on here has largely dropped off from a posting standpoint because I just haven't been able to be out detailing. I still visit and keep up on reading because I like this little corner of the internet - I appreciate the people, their knowledge, and the good-group vibe.
    Amongst all your wordy run through, you've highlighted the frustration of detailing, as soon as you've completed something, the "un-detailing" begins, whether it's a daily driver or a garage queen, time is reversing what you've just done.

I'm also good with the dishes, must be an extension of the car detailing, but we have a dishwasher now, and I'm not allowed to put anything in it, apparently I load it wrong.

And no, it wasn't corny, I like reading about other people's thought processes and philosophies, everybody is an individual, and it's all based on our own life experiences, I also like this corner of the internet.

11. Thanks oneheadlite, DFB thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, DFB, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Flew to Florence, Italy for 2 weeks of wandering.

Interesting trash ‘strategy’ here; metal trash cans all around, deposit your trash & periodically a truck w a large magnet comes by to pick up (literally) the can which is attached to a large underground receptacle. Pick the whole thing up, empty & put back into place.

Narrow streets, keep your head on a swivel when walking cuz scooters & vehicles don’t stop for anything!

Hopefully make it home in one piece. Staying in a 5th floor apartment w no elevator. Multiple flights of stone steps are great exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

A couple weeks ago but got to see the Aurora Borealis down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

A couple weeks ago but got to see the Aurora Borealis down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last time I was down south in Hobart, the capital of Australia's most southern state, they had one night when the Aurora Australis was visible, but I didn't know about it till the next day, so I sat in my hotel room watching who knows what on the idiot box. I was so disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Last time I was down south in Hobart, the capital of Australia's most southern state, they had one night when the Aurora Australis was visible, but I didn't know about it till the next day, so I sat in my hotel room watching who knows what on the idiot box. I was so disappointed.
    Ha, it never occurred to me that aurora's are also a southern hemisphere thing, but of course they would have to be since the world is round. They must have great views in Antarctica, being that you can actually get to the South Pole, as opposed to the North Pole, which is in the middle of the ocean.

Page 359 of 363 FirstFirst ... 259309349350351352353354355356357358359360361362363 LastLast