autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today non-detailing related?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    It almost feels like there's a glitch in the matrix, I mowed the lawn again today, and now I'm watching cars racing around Bathurst, again. This time it's the V8 Supercars though.

To show you the kind of humidity, rain, and heat we're getting at the moment, after mowing last weekend, check out the size of this mushroom that grew out of our front lawn in just 1 week. And we've never had mushrooms growing anywhere in our lawn before.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Looks like a dirty white polishing padWhat did you do today non-detailing related?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Big Dave, DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I work next door to one of the best motoring museums in the country, so there is always something going on out in the carpark at work. Sometimes it's cars and coffee, club runs, cruise nights................lots of tasty metal passes by my "office". Sometimes it's the usual 70's Aussie muscle cars, maybe a tasty Aston Martin V8 Vantage, right through the downright oddball cars from the past, think Model T Ford's or Studebakers.

Today was bit different, and a first for the complex. I rocked up to a filling carpark, with the museum's own car park cordoned off. Settling into work for the morning, the scream of engines and tyres woke me from my morning haze.

Turns out they were hosting a gymkhana for the morning. The first car sound was obvious, a 90's WRX sedan, you can't mistake that throbby growl. A gorgeous 1965 Mustang in red sounded as good as you would expect. A host of late model turbo 6 BMW M3's and M2's, the distinctive howl and exhaust pop again unmistakable. Less pleasing, but no less interesting, the buzz-saw like turbo V8 BMW, I hate those engines.

But the most distinctive? The most spin chilling and easily the loudest of all the cars thrashing their way around the makeshift course? A sound that I have burned into my brain, a sound like no other car past or present. That sound echoing across the lake and into my ears being that of a naturally aspirated flat 6 revving to 9000 rpm, a Porsche 911 GT3. This is the first time I have heard one in person, and it's as bloody good in person as the countless Youtube clips I have listened to online. The sound is so crisp, so pure, the way it screams and yet howls at the same time. There is none of the muffler theatrics like the BMW's, or the bassy fluff that the Subaru or V8 Mustang had. I probably like V8's more than any other engine layout, but there is something truly special about a highly tuned 6-cylinder, especially of the inline and flat variety.

Obviously not from today, but I just had to indulge that sound again.............

Apart from the 65 Mustang, all of these were by ear, I knew each and every sound without even poking my head out the window to look, the GT3 the most obvious.

4. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, Big Dave, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I work next door to one of the best motoring museums in the country, so there is always something going on out in the carpark at work. Sometimes it's cars and coffee, club runs, cruise nights................lots of tasty metal passes by my "office". Sometimes it's the usual 70's Aussie muscle cars, maybe a tasty Aston Martin V8 Vantage, right through the downright oddball cars from the past, think Model T Ford's or Studebakers.

Today was bit different, and a first for the complex. I rocked up to a filling carpark, with the museum's own car park cordoned off. Settling into work for the morning, the scream of engines and tyres woke me from my morning haze.

Turns out they were hosting a gymkhana for the morning. The first car sound was obvious, a 90's WRX sedan, you can't mistake that throbby growl. A gorgeous 1965 Mustang in red sounded as good as you would expect. A host of late model turbo 6 BMW M3's and M2's, the distinctive howl and exhaust pop again unmistakable. Less pleasing, but no less interesting, the buzz-saw like turbo V8 BMW, I hate those engines.

But the most distinctive? The most spin chilling and easily the loudest of all the cars thrashing their way around the makeshift course? A sound that I have burned into my brain, a sound like no other car past or present. That sound echoing across the lake and into my ears being that of a naturally aspirated flat 6 revving to 9000 rpm, a Porsche 911 GT3. This is the first time I have heard one in person, and it's as bloody good in person as the countless Youtube clips I have listened to online. The sound is so crisp, so pure, the way it screams and yet howls at the same time. There is none of the muffler theatrics like the BMW's, or the bassy fluff that the Subaru or V8 Mustang had. I probably like V8's more than any other engine layout, but there is something truly special about a highly tuned 6-cylinder, especially of the inline and flat variety.

Obviously not from today, but I just had to indulge that sound again.............

Apart from the 65 Mustang, all of these were by ear, I knew each and every sound without even poking my head out the window to look, the GT3 the most obvious.
    There's a very good chance I'll be able to hear a GT3 in person myself soon. My neighbour works for the local Porsche dealer, mentioned they are expecting one in, I might be able to get a look at it. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

6. Likes Klasse Act, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At work, we sell wall art on consignment by a local artist, basically his retirement hobby. He uses reclaimed timber and metal to create quite unique pieces, most of them being of birds, native animals, farm scenery ect. His latest creation instantly caught my eye, apparently my red Mustang caught his too........................

He is also quite clever in some on the fine details, think opening doors or spinning windmills. In this case, the rear-view mirrors are actually reflective. While the frontal proportion is not quite right but check out the rear profile in how it perfectly depicts the S550. I'm told it took 5 coats of red to be as shiny as my real Mustang.

8. Likes Big Dave, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    He is also quite clever in some on the fine details, think opening doors or spinning windmills. In this case, the rear-view mirrors are actually reflective. While the frontal proportion is not quite right but check out the rear profile in how it perfectly depicts the S550. I'm told it took 5 coats of red to be as shiny as my real Mustang.
    I notice he also has quite a bit of caliper and rotor detail. You obviously made an impression on him!

12. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My better half and Iboth have Fridays off.

We woke up to more snow in Metro Detroit - which I hope kills off a good amount of mosquitos.

Due to all the music I've been doing, I've been practicing as much as possible.

14. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    My better half and Iboth have Fridays off.

We woke up to more snow in Metro Detroit - which I hope kills off a good amount of mosquitos.

Due to all the music I've been doing, I've been practicing as much as possible.
    Can you chime in on Billy Cobham pleaseWhat did you do today non-detailing related?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

The BRAWL - YouTube

Had to post this somewhere, 27 yrs ago todayWhat did you do today non-detailing related?What did you do today non-detailing related?

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled heads off my 5.0 yesterday. I'm going to go through the heads and probably bring them to a shop for full rebuild. Been dealing with a misfire which I think is due to poor valve sealing.

18. Likes Klasse Act, Big Dave, Dirty Harry liked this post
Page 345 of 353 FirstFirst ... 245295335336337338339340341342343344345346347348349350351352353 LastLast