autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Why Automakers Are Invading Your Privacy

i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Automakers Are Invading Your Privacy

I started a thread similar to this a couple of months ago, I think I linked an article about how car companies are selling basically everything they find out about you from your car. And how when you get into your new ride and tap the "I agree" button on the infotainment system you are agreeing to let them do it. If you don't agree, you basically can't drive your new car, they're not really giving you an option.

This video goes into more detail, the funny thing in it was the reminder to wipe your data from your car before selling or trading it in. This is funny because when I bought my last car, a wagon from GM Holden, it was the first car I'd bought that had sat nav built into the infotainment system, and it still had the previous owners home and work address in it. So neither the previous owner or the dealer bothered to wipe it.

The FJ doesn't have a smart infotainment system, in fact I changed the head unit to a Kenwood system, which was connected originally with Android Auto, but the last firmware update basically killed all that connectivity, it still does all the BT stuff, but that's only calls and sounds.

I do have my Google timeline turned on, through the phone, but even that's not the best at tracking me, quite often it asks me to review places I haven't been to, I may have walked past at some point, but that's it. I don't care if they track me, if I'm planning on doing anything dubious, I just won't take my phone with me. Interestingly, that's how they are cracking some of these cases, if your phone is connected to a cell tower where some serious crime was committed, you are a suspect till they rule you out.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

3. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's a smart device, it has the ability to track or monitor you to a certain degree. Everything is moving to online which means more potential loss of privacy due to hackers or who knows who that has access to that data.

5. Likes chilly, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I started a thread similar to this a couple of months ago, I think I linked an article about how car companies are selling basically everything they find out about you from your car. And how when you get into your new ride and tap the "I agree" button on the infotainment system you are agreeing to let them do it. If you don't agree, you basically can't drive your new car, they're not really giving you an option.

This video goes into more detail, the funny thing in it was the reminder to wipe your data from your car before selling or trading it in. This is funny because when I bought my last car, a wagon from GM Holden, it was the first car I'd bought that had sat nav built into the infotainment system, and it still had the previous owners home and work address in it. So neither the previous owner or the dealer bothered to wipe it.

The FJ doesn't have a smart infotainment system, in fact I changed the head unit to a Kenwood system, which was connected originally with Android Auto, but the last firmware update basically killed all that connectivity, it still does all the BT stuff, but that's only calls and sounds.

I do have my Google timeline turned on, through the phone, but even that's not the best at tracking me, quite often it asks me to review places I haven't been to, I may have walked past at some point, but that's it. I don't care if they track me, if I'm planning on doing anything dubious, I just won't take my phone with me. Interestingly, that's how they are cracking some of these cases, if your phone is connected to a cell tower where some serious crime was committed, you are a suspect till they rule you out.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    The Lexus the dealer gave me as a loaner a while back must have had 10-12 peoples names/numbers/etc in the setup screen

I couldn't believe people would number 1, take the time to put all their info in to a loaner car system, because God forbid they not be connected to social media for a day, and number 2, NOT take the time to scrub that info out when they returned the loaner

I have seen that in rental cars as well

And they probably stand around and go "honey, I don't understand how we got hacked"

7. Likes Big Dave, DUBL0WS6, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1 Good reason of many why i wont buy a new vehicle. I am starting to prefer older more simple tech.

I turn off anything and everything i can on my androiid. Havent used gooogle search in long time. 0 social media. I dont get targeted with ads. Next phone will most likely be a UNPLUGGED device since they recently came out. Atleast i can have a micro sd card again.

Im not doing anything nefarious but we all have a right to privacy. Not to be tracked or targeted, or listened to. You comfortable with the fact that your listened too while having private pillow talk with your wife? Way way to many folks dont care or realize it. A, i will eventually know more about you that you will.

I realize not much i can do currently about getting pinged off nearest towers. 5 g is very harmful to our bodies. And most keep it on them all the time.

Sorry...rant over lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

9. Likes chilly, DUBL0WS6 liked this post