autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today non-detailing related?

I once authored a series on the ugliest cars in the world, that hideous Murano was front and center along with several others.

I could at this point post a number of images showing various US designed vehicles (sorry US residents), but I would rather present a vehicle from a car company who should never have done this vehicle in the first place..........................

The 5-Series GT, along with the X6, are where BMW went wrong in my opinion. Neither vehicle had a reason for being, and the 5 GT was the most contentious due to that horrible rear end styling. But then you need to consider the utter pointlessness of the 5 GT, it was no more practical than a 5 Series Wagon, let alone an X5. So, what you got was an ugly, misshapen mashup of a 5 Series Sedan and Wagon. It served no purpose. Of course, many such pointless models have been spored by BMW, some ugly (2 Series GT, X4) some contradictory (4-Series GC).

2. Likes Big Dave, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    The was a Autoliine After Hours that had Bob Lutz as a guest. Much was spoken about the Aztek and the path it took to the production line. To shorten a long story, the Aztek was what is called a "committee car", one that was ruled by too many competing committees within the company. The result was a product as confused as the people who created it.
    I saw that show with Bob Lutz, and I don't remember any discussion of the Aztec. Unless he was on more than once.

Post Thanks / Like

I once authored a series on the ugliest cars in the world, that hideous Murano was front and center along with several others.

I could at this point post a number of images showing various US designed vehicles (sorry US residents), but I would rather present a vehicle from a car company who should never have done this vehicle in the first place..........................

The 5-Series GT, along with the X6, are where BMW went wrong in my opinion. Neither vehicle had a reason for being, and the 5 GT was the most contentious due to that horrible rear end styling. But then you need to consider the utter pointlessness of the 5 GT, it was no more practical than a 5 Series Wagon, let alone an X5. So, what you got was an ugly, misshapen mashup of a 5 Series Sedan and Wagon. It served no purpose. Of course, many such pointless models have been spored by BMW, some ugly (2 Series GT, X4) some contradictory (4-Series GC).
    BMW is still style challenged. I don't know why they would have signed off on this. Maybe it's popular in China.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I saw that show with Bob Lutz, and I don't remember any discussion of the Aztec. Unless he was on more than once.
    He has been on it many times, the episode I'm referring to was aired more than a decade ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    BMW is still style challenged. I don't know why they would have signed off on this. Maybe it's popular in China.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Apparently the 5 GT was a hit in China, I think it got a second generation there.

7. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Deyon, that BMW GT is truely a disaster What did you do today non-detailing related?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

9. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has been on it many times, the episode I'm referring to was aired more than a decade ago.
    I haven't watched anything on Autoline for at least a couple of years, I didn't realize he was on so many times. I really liked the show where they had the guy who reverse-engineered cars by taking them apart and figuring out how much they cost, etc., to generate a report that could be used by competitors. He was talking about a Tesla, possibly the Model 3, and talking about the split personality of the car, how parts of it were fighter-plane sophisticated, and some parts were so bad he couldn't figure out why they couldn't/wouldn't do a better job. Maybe that matches the personality of the CEO.

Anyway, that Autoline after-hours is a great show for car people, if people haven't seen it they should look it up.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While we're on the ugly/bad styling topic, how about Acura/Honda with the beaks, I'm not sure they've even recovered from that now. Also back in that time Audi did some really ugly-looking giant grille noses.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the lower grill area mesh to match the upper. Being fully open didn't look nearly as good, and it left the cooling system more exposed to fin damage from road debris.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

14. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I installed the lower grill area mesh to match the upper. Being fully open didn't look nearly as good, and it left the cooling system more exposed to fin damage from road debris.
    So is that an aftermarket piece you installed?

Page 341 of 355 FirstFirst ... 241291331332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346347348349350351 ... LastLast