autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today non-detailing related?

Visited the new LCS USS Cooperstown(LCS-23) while he(surface ships are referred to in the masculine in the submarine world) was in port yesterday. Newest warship I've ever set foot on. Doesn't even smell like a Naval vessel yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    After work I went in for my yearly "random" drug test. I say yearly and random because I never did one the first 7 yrs, now 3 in three years. This one has a breathe test too. I'm ranting about this because I don't drink or smoke anything, complete waste of my time but it's their O.T. money they're payin' but not the point, I'm offendedWhat did you do today non-detailing related?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Gotta piss in a cup every two years for cdl holders, also every year to be eligable for certain jobs/contractors. Also most everytime you signup with a new company most do a drug test, which usually the saliva test cuz its cheaper. Alcolhol tests to at some steel mills. Its just part of the job. You would not believe how many ppl cant pass a drug test. Its part of your employment so... ahhh be smart

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

3. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, Klasse Act, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Gotta piss in a cup every two years for cdl holders, also every year to be eligable for certain jobs/contractors. Also most everytime you signup with a new company most do a drug test, which usually the saliva test cuz its cheaper. Alcolhol tests to at some steel mills. Its just part of the job. You would not believe how many ppl cant pass a drug test. Its part of your employment so... ahhh be smart

I work for basically a mom and pop type outype outfit and heavy work there for 10 years they should really know their employees a little bit better. I pride myself on being a part of the solution and not a part of the problem but you are ultimately right they do they do sign my paycheck

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Likes opie, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I work for basically a mom and pop type outype outfit and heavy work there for 10 years they should really know their employees a little bit better. I pride myself on being a part of the solution and not a part of the problem but you are ultimately right they do they do sign my paycheck

I totally understand.

I have worked for a family business for 18 years now, it can be a very difficult challenge to keep everyone happy. There are three brothers who run the business, one working alongside his wife. Let's just say I have to navigate each of those four people carefully. Having been there for so many years now, it's almost like I'm part of the family, but only when it suits them. I'm expected to work like a family member, as in work 7 days a week, but then when it comes to stuff I'm entitled to as an employee, well that is seen as an inconvenience. Like you, I think the fact I have stayed loyal and worked VERY hard over the years would speak for itself. But then there are times when certain actions are questioned, and that hurts.

Last week I ran the business for 5 days straight, the longest time the family has left the business in someone else's hands. The situation was not by choice, they were dealing with the aftermath of the floods, the damage through their parents' home extensive. I stepped up and took on full responsibility. And while the appreciation for what I did for them was well conveyed, there were still little barbs of negativity on a couple of things that I did wrong, things that I never really do because they take care of that side of the business.

Having never worked within a multi-teared organization, sometimes being part of a smaller team is great. I often hear from my sister about some of the shear silliness that flows through large organizations in regard to procedures on common sense stuff. But working for a family business is a challenge of being on the outer.

7. Likes Big Dave, opie, chilly, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fixed the ride on mower it was a fuse thank GOD!
    First cut in over 8 day's and it was long had to cut number 3 and my go to is 2
    Will go over it again on Monday weather pending.

9. Likes DFB, Bosko, Big Dave, dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I totally understand.

I have worked for a family business for 18 years now, it can be a very difficult challenge to keep everyone happy. There are three brothers who run the business, one working alongside his wife. Let's just say I have to navigate each of those four people carefully. Having been there for so many years now, it's almost like I'm part of the family, but only when it suits them. I'm expected to work like a family member, as in work 7 days a week, but then when it comes to stuff I'm entitled to as an employee, well that is seen as an inconvenience. Like you, I think the fact I have stayed loyal and worked VERY hard over the years would speak for itself. But then there are times when certain actions are questioned, and that hurts.

Last week I ran the business for 5 days straight, the longest time the family has left the business in someone else's hands. The situation was not by choice, they were dealing with the aftermath of the floods, the damage through their parents' home extensive. I stepped up and took on full responsibility. And while the appreciation for what I did for them was well conveyed, there were still little barbs of negativity on a couple of things that I did wrong, things that I never really do because they take care of that side of the business.

Having never worked within a multi-teared organization, sometimes being part of a smaller team is great. I often hear from my sister about some of the shear silliness that flows through large organizations in regard to procedures on common sense stuff. But working for a family business is a challenge of being on the outer.
    I've worked for a large multinational, lots of procedures and red tape, lots of plans but no idea what they're doing, harder to get recognised for doing the right thing, or the wrong.

When you work for a smaller business where the owners are on site daily, wandering around watching everyone, it can have its difficulties too. They play favorites sometimes, to the detriment of their own business, safety isn't always a priority, you have to know who you can piss off and get away with it, and who you can't. Overall I think it's easier to get yourself fired in a small business.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

11. Likes Bosko, DFB, dgage, opie, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I've worked for a large multinational, lots of procedures and red tape, lots of plans but no idea what they're doing, harder to get recognised for doing the right thing, or the wrong.

safety isn't always a priority

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    In my line of work, safety is one of a top prioritys. Doing things safe alot of times makes the task at hand take longer to complete(hense some will do unsafe work practices) ya may get away unscathed for a while but one day ya wont, so at the end of the day there are reasons for safety standards. Somewhere along the way someone found out the hard way, lots of times unfortuntly in loss of limb or life.

Everybody talks, so word does travel when it comes to your name and reputation, ya just might not know it.

This sticker is one that is true in life.

13. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, oneheadlite, dgage, Big Dave, DFB and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did some leaf blowing. Apparently you can use an EGO for that.

15. Likes opie, chilly, dgage, PaulMys, Big Dave and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my coworkers let me drive his C7 Z06 yesterday.
    He calls it the Batmobile.
    It definitely MOVES (650hp).

17. Likes dgage, PaulMys, Big Dave, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    My daughter called me the other day and asked if I would go out to the woodshop and make her an owl that she could paint. I told her I wasn't about to carve out a three-dimensional model, but I could do a simple silhouette figure. She said that would be fine.

So... between the ballgames yesterday and today I whipped this out.

Attachment 75709 Attachment 75710 Attachment 75711 Attachment 75712

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Here's my daughter's paint works in progress... She just emailed me this pic.

Attachment 75726

And wouldn't you know it... After making the previous owl for my daughter she asked if I could make some different designs that she could paint and give as Christmas gifts.

I told her to send me some pictures that I could use to make stencils/patterns.

Here's what she came up with and what I made over the past few days. I finished these up today. Roughly 3.5 hours each on average.

What did you do today non-detailing related?-20221029_142419resized-jpg What did you do today non-detailing related?-20221029_142551resized-jpg What did you do today non-detailing related?-20221029_142539resized-jpg What did you do today non-detailing related?-20221029_142525resized-jpg What did you do today non-detailing related?-20221029_142443resized-jpg

What did you do today non-detailing related?-20221029_142748resized-jpg What did you do today non-detailing related?-20221029_143336resized-jpg

19. Likes PaulMys, Big Dave, dgage, Odrapnew, MisterSnoop liked this post
Page 223 of 354 FirstFirst ... 123173213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233273323 ... LastLast