autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do today non-detailing related?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Yikes! Now that’s a Cadillac gas tank for ya! LOL!
    I’ll never forget that guy… My dad introduced me to him because he used to work on our families vehicles whenever there was a problem and this guy was younger [about 28-30yrs. old at that time] but he was from the same part of Mexico where my parents were from and a friend of the family.

That guy was good, and I mean damn good. He diagnosed my fuel pump without even seeing the car. Other times all I had to do was pull up and within a minute or 2 he’d tell me what the problem was and he seemed to be able to fix anything with ease. Impressive dude.

He ended up moving away, about 60 miles away to buy a house in Riverside County, and my dad told me that part of the reason he wanted to move away was because he had gotten to the point where he was done with taking side jobs and doing favors for everyone and not charging what it was worth because he always felt bad because he considered all those people “friends”

It got to the point to where he told everyone he was no longer fixing cars yet people would still show up at his driveway with broke down cars asking if he could take a look and help fix them… Btw he already worked full time at a mechanic shop during the day. Lol.
    I haven’t seen or heard about him in almost 20yrs. but I sure would like to know how he’s doing and if I ever see him again I want to give him his props, because he was the best mechanic I’ve ever met.

I remember test driving what was going to be my 1st Cadillac, an 88’ Fleetwood [the ones that were exactly like the 88’ Sedan Devilles] and my dad told me to stop by his house real quick to see if he was there so he could take a look… He came out and funny enough he found some weird shenanigans going on with that car in less than 5 minutes. For example they had wrapped a brick in aluminum foil and had wedged it next to the tailpipe for who knows what reason… Then as we were just standing there with the car in Park it for no apparent reason just turned off! Lol.

He basically gave it a hard pass. But I was stubborn and really wanted that car. He looked me dead in the eye and asked “why do you want this kind of car? Of all the cars you could buy, why do you want a Cadillac”? I said “I love everything about it. And it’s only $5,000 dollars”!

He tried to warn me that those cars are high maintenance and not cheap when they break down. That I should think long and hard and the smart thing to do would be to buy a different kind of car… 8 Cadillacs later, I obviously didn’t listen.What did you do today non-detailing related?lol.

About a year later, when I was driving my 1st Eldorado, I found out he bought a 82-83’ Sedan Deville. I told him “hey I thought you said to stay away from these cars”? He just laughed as if to say “yea but it’s different because I can actually fix anything that goes wrong, but you can’t” lol.

2. Likes dgage, opie, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today non-detailing related?

Wow, what an incredible mechanic! We just don't see ones like that any more.

I wonder what he would think of an '89 Deville. He'd probably get a kick out my digital fuel gage no longer working.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha cool story eldo

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

6. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    better than having no teeth though.
    that ^ and having tooth pain is probably the worse pain one can ever have. it radiates all through your head, body, and into your blood stream which can cause even more health problems. also, it can be expensive when you neglect your teeth because then you have to get dental work done (cavities, root canals, etc). you use your mouth (eat and drink) daily. like they say.. "an ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure".

8. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    that ^ and having tooth pain is probably the worse pain one can ever have. it radiates all through your head, body, and into your blood stream which can cause even more health problems. also, it can be expensive when you neglect your teeth because then you have to get dental work done (cavities, root canals, etc). you use your mouth (eat and drink) daily. like they say.. "an ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure".
    Tell me about it, 20+ years ago I had a toothache that lasted 2 months on and off, I hated the dentist, but this was worse, so I gave in and made an appointment. The tooth was so bad it took over 8 needles to numb it. Since then I've spent over 20k repairing and maintaining my teeth, they're a genetic weakness in my family. But I have no issue with sensitivity anymore, but I still have to be careful, the combination of weak teeth and strong jaw muscles is not good. I'm so used to the dentists now I can have fillings repaired or replaced without any anaesthetic.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

10. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Tell me about it, 20+ years ago I had a toothache that lasted 2 months on and off, I hated the dentist, but this was worse, so I gave in and made an appointment. The tooth was so bad it took over 8 needles to numb it. Since then I've spent over 20k repairing and maintaining my teeth, they're a genetic weakness in my family. But I have no issue with sensitivity anymore, but I still have to be careful, the combination of weak teeth and strong jaw muscles is not good. I'm so used to the dentists now I can have fillings repaired or replaced without any anaesthetic.

a buddy of mine had to have 4 root canals, and even with insurance it still cost a lot. not to mention, the pain associated with the procedure...

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, and I thought my having 8 cavities but escaping a root canal was bad enough. Nowadays I have completely eliminated soda and often brush with prescription toothpaste. Luckily now I've been cavity free for three years.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

13. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a root canal and crown March till May last year cost me $3,500 and it failed
    Was told by the Dentist/Doctor as they liked to be called last August the pain was
    Bad and he said yeah.....We can have another look and i said better be done for free
    He said yes, Haven't been back and i should of had it pulled!

15. Likes Big Dave, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I've had a couple of root canals, numerous fillings, and even an implant, none of the procedures were painful, other than the cost, at most I'd say they were uncomfortable. I'm getting so relaxed with it, I almost fell asleep in the dentist chair once, he tapped me on the shoulder as I was drifting off, he started laughing, I said there's a compliment for you.

17. Likes Tasmania, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mowed the lawn.

19. Likes dgage, DFB liked this post
Page 215 of 353 FirstFirst ... 115165205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225265315 ... LastLast