autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering replacing the S4 with...

I am in a first-world problem situation for sure but hey, we live in a first-world country right?

Wife will be due for a new vehicle next year and she may want to go back to a car vs SUV and certainly we're done with the real need for minivans. I have had SUV's and don't mind them but will for sure miss the Audi and all that it offers. It's by-far the best daily driver out there IMO.

That said, I'm trading off some performance in exchange for a more commanding view/handling of the road and some creature features/posh effect. I have to switch it up vs another sedan or I'll feel I'm really shorting myself. At least IMO I would. Trying to keep it balanced cost-wise and this time given I don't absolutely love SUV's but like them, I'm probably going to do a short-term lease on this one. I own the Audi, so the equity will stay in our pocket and go toward her car. That gives me some flexibility in say the next 2 years to move back to something performance oriented. That said this beast moves-out well for as big as it is. The 365hp/350tq Ecoboost is far lower in power than I'm used to but to move this sled to through a mid 14's quarter mile speaks a lot of it's galloping ability. Merging up hill onto the highway I moved into traffic with ease and looked down at 85+mph without even trying.

Haven't exactly found a lot out there that makes me do my happy dance but the Ford Explorer Platinum Edition seems to check a lot of boxes and I know I'd like it. Tri-Color Pearl White with two-tone Nirvana Leather with Ceramic/Black combo. I think it looks outstanding inside. Not quite German Quality but darn nice and loaded with every feature from massaging seats to a great sound system.

What say you on the Ford vs some others? I welcome all opinions and thank you in advance.

Preliminary Pics: They really don't do the interior the justice it deserves but you get the idea. Couple are simply stock images from the web.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Considering replacing the S4 with...

I've driven the Police Interceptor SUV (AKA: Explorer) (non-ecoboost) and I really liked it compared to the Interceptor (Taurus). Much more room, easier to get in & out of, good view from the driver's seat ... NOT too thrilled about needing a ladder to detail the roof/windshield. But overall, if my wife had a newer Explorer (compared to her 2003 monster), I would probably detail it more often than I do her current one (which is almost never).

You could make a worse choice - those Ecoboost engines can be monsters, my neighbor has a crew-cab F150 with the Ecoboost and it's really quick for such a large truck. We've challenged each other to a race, but neither one of us has had the day off at the same time to make it to the track.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    those Ecoboost engines can be monsters, my neighbor has a crew-cab F150 with the Ecoboost.
    My neighbor has the new F150 so know it moves great for a truck. So much weight reduction that it really is very noticable over his former 5.4l V8 one.

I'm currently crunching numbers on the lease for a 2017 vs 2018 and they are nearly a wash. The 2018 is a little more due to incentives, etc. but it does offer a couple new features and some very minor cosmetic changes that of course I like but nothing that would keep me from owning the 2017. I think I might be able to squeeze a bit more out of the sales guy on the 2017 we've been working on since they have two identical ones on the lot.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about just making a change overall or the fact that I'll be out of a black vehicle!
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about just making a change overall or the fact that I'll be out of a black vehicle!
    Even though it can be a pain, you'll miss the depth & character of the black Audi.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    Even though it can be a pain, you'll miss the depth & character of the black Audi.
    No doubt. I'm biased of course, but it really is perhaps the most perfect paint I've seen on a black car. I had a meet-up with a fellow Audi guy yesterday and it blew his hair back even after a week of road dust being on it.

I'm about to run some errands and will fall in love with it again as I do every time I drive it. I had an M4 try and play with me around town yesterday and after 3 attempts he finally gave up. The rolling runs were one thing but once we lined up at a light and even gave him "the hit" he lost his jaw watching me pull on him like a kid walking a toy poodle So much for his $85k car around town. I was on my summer rubber in 45* temps too. Gotta love having an AWD car kick sideways as it hits 2nd gear

I will no doubt miss that should I pull the trigger on the Urban Assault Vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with an explorer if you plan to lease. However I drove two Ford explorers for a work, and they are great rides. However, the undercarriage was full of rust after one year. After we hit 100k, check engine light came on and stayed on. Only fix was new engine, now mind you this is the non ecoboost model. All the explorers we had in our fleet had to get the rear tie rods replaced because they literally broke while we were driving. Had to get towed off the road. All of them had waterpump replacements at the 80 thousand mark. Not sure if the ecoboost will be different but that's my experiences with them. Very smooth ride however.

The interior panels were cheaply put together, the arm rests stitching wore out pretty quickly. Same thing by the doors, the stitching on the section that controls windows and adjusts the mirrors had their stitching wear out very quickly as well. These are the 2014 models we had and now they're all dead, need get new trannies and motors. At 150 thousand they all needed new trannies and now we're not bothering to fix them and just getting new ones.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

What about a tall wagon like a XV90 or XV60 Volvo, the Audi Allroad, or a Subi Outback? They might save you the soggy SUV driving experience.

On the SUV side depending on the space you're looking for and price, CPO Macan's, Cayenne's, X3's, X5's and GLE's are available at surprising prices. My wife likes the ride and handling of cars better than SUV's but somehow insists on driving an SUV, so I'm looking in the direction of the list I just gave to hopefully find something that drives more car-like.

When it comes to new SUV's at a lower price point, the Mazda CX5 and CX9 are the ones that really impressed me. The interior on a loaded CX9 is far better than other competitors driving twice the price, IMO. It looks amazing and the quality of the leather, plastics, and wood was pretty impressive. In fact, the only SUV I've seen with a better interior is the new XC90. The Mazda road manners are well known, and they are very reliable (in my experience).
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Escape.... it's not a Titanium trim but the interior and "niceties" are pretty hard to beat for the price.
    I say go for the Explorer.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    What about a tall wagon like a XV90 or XV60 Volvo, the Audi Allroad, or a Subi Outback? They might save you the soggy SUV driving experience.
    The Volvo's all jump pretty high in price once they are optioned out like I would want them. Audi's never seem to lease well; which is odd considering most hold value very well. Even the money I've been offered for mine is quite strong.

On the SUV side depending on the space you're looking for and price, CPO Macan's, Cayenne's, X3's, X5's and GLE's are available at surprising prices. My wife likes the ride and handling of cars better than SUV's but somehow insists on driving an SUV, so I'm looking in the direction of the list I just gave to hopefully find something that drives more car-like.
    here too the ones I'm looking at would lease out way north of what I'm willing to spend. $700mo is my limit, especially on a lease.

When it comes to new SUV's at a lower price point, the Mazda CX5 and CX9 are the ones that really impressed me. The interior on a loaded CX9 is far better than other competitors driving twice the price, IMO. It looks amazing and the quality of the leather, plastics, and wood was pretty impressive. In fact, the only SUV I've seen with a better interior is the new XC90. The Mazda road manners are well known, and they are very reliable (in my experience).
    Haven't looked at the CX9. Will look into it. They are all tough to really get excited about given what I have now. Tough choice and not one I will make in haste. good news is I don't "need" to buy or make the change. Not yet. I just finished up front brakes on the van so she's going to deal with it for a wee-bit more time at least.

Post Thanks / Like

I've rode in those Explorers and felt they were smallish inside compared to the outside. Have you considered the Durango R/T?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast