autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Without trying to spark an argument, I’d say simply because the vast majority of the younger generation is struggling financially.

I’m sure some people will look and think “well I’m doing fine” but that’s anecdotal, at best.

I’ve always wanted a 2004 lightning in sonic blue, but it’s hardly something I ever think about, because I have such a small amount of disposable income.

One day will I have something? Who knows. Right now it seems unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree.

2. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add another positive data point to the discussion based on an observation this weekend.

Friday evening, my wife and I attended a new model reveal party at a car dealership in our area. Due to the parking arrangements, the dealership was running valet parking for the event. The valet's all looked shockingly young. I would have been shocked if any of them were over 19.

I pulled up in my GTI and ALL of them immediately knew what it was, and then openly started a friendly argument over who would get to park it. I think the deciding factor came down to those who could drive a manual transmission.

My car is nothing spectacular, and was nothing compared to the vehicles sold by the dealership hosting the event. Just the fact the young valets recognized the vehicle as being something different than a Golf, and were enthusiastic to look at it and simply drive it a few hundred yards away gave me a little hope.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes SWETM, Daven75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more with Finick and Desertnate.

I know a lot of younger guys, myself including (I'm 26) That are in love with the automotive sport but are too caught up with bills from life. I know for myself specifically, I cannot afford to save much and most of it goes to paying off things that will help me in the long run. I would love to be able to get a project car, or something of a 2 door style car, but I need the reliability and room of something that isn't..... as cool. Haha. I've contemplated numerous times selling my Xterra and getting something fun, but then I think to myself about why it'd be a stupid decision.

What it comes down to is financial responsibilities have kept me from having fun. Sadly.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, what made you buy the Xterra?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Just curious, what made you buy the Xterra?

Haha, very good question. I wanted something reliable but still off-road-able and comfy. I had a 2000 jeep XJ with 200k miles on it and I knew I needed something better.

I originally set out to find a newer Jeep grand cherokee or something similar. I actually stumbled upon my Xterra when I was out looking. Being a Nissan I always thought they'd be too much money but this one was dead on my price. Had higher miles than I wanted but it was a one owner, the dealer that it was at was the original dealer that it was ordered from. It basically met all my requirements and was one of two within about 300 miles that met my price range. I've had it for a year and 35k miles with almost no issues besides stuff that you'd find in any high mileage suv.

I'm 6' and its got a tall roof so the head room is amazing. The 4x4 is flawless (except no locker) it rides pretty damn good for being a body on frame/solid rear axle vehicle and gets about 18mpg on the highway.

The things that sold me on it were little things that I didn't think mattered but then I realized they did. Such as the tall roof.

They do have their issues. SMOD, weak front diff/rear axle, and a few other little things but every issue that could happen, I can fix myself. That was one other thing, I wanted to be able to work on the vehicle myself.

Got any questions? I'll gladly answer truthfully.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my Xterra for 12 years, bought it new in 2003, traded it fo rmy Rogue in Feb 2015. It had 150,000 miles on it and I'm sure it's out there still running. Breaks, tires, nothing major. Never let me down. Great vehicle.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

9. Likes Daven75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Daven, you sound like an off-road guy and even though I can't relate to that demographic I do appreciate and understand the enthusiasm for that hobby, its still a "car guy" thing without a doubt IMO. I'd say your keeping the flame for the younger crowd!

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts/observations on: "...do you notice the same waning interest in cars with the younger generation?"

Answer = yes. In no particular order, younger generations in general:

(1) Have other priorities (e.g. are more interested in having an "i" something versus a car (e.g. iPhone, iPad, video games))

(2) Have never changed their oil, let alone pulled a head off a motor. Most probably don't know the difference between a coil spring and leaf spring. This could be a result of their fathers having less interest in cars, and the pleasure/joy of interest in cars started to fade there.

(3) Work less (if at all) and depend on their parents financially far more than my generation did (BTW: I am 45 so its not sooooo long ago). My first job: I was 10 and guess what that was? Yes, washing cars! How did you guess? (grin). Granted I didn't wash 10 cars a week, but I washed a few and did it the very best I could, got paid nominally for it. My grandfather taught me and his car was thus maintained to the tee, gratis of course. I also cut lawns and shoveled snow. By the age of 13, I had $ 4,000 saved in my bank passbook. At the age of 16, I started by own DJ business which allowed me to pay for college, a car, gas and insurance. Very few kids these days work, even at high school and college ages. Some don't want to, and others are coddled in a bubble by their parents doing them a great disservice in the end. My Dad always said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

(4) Work ethic. Owning a car takes physical effort, and my first hand experience with younger kids these days is most shy away from labor as if it's the plague. Case in point: A few years ago I voluntarily ran a concert series in my town; 8 events per summer. Each event included staging, audio, lighting, green room, food concessions etc. One day a father from town said "My son is interested in helping". I said, "...WOW that's great!!! He can start next Sunday. Ask him to be here at 9 am." The father IMMEDIATELY questioned why his son had to be at the concert location at 9 am for a 6 pm concert. I politely told him "...the speakers, instruments and lights don't set themselves up." He got the point and his son appeared the following Sunday at 9 am very begrudgingly. By noon - just 3 hours later - the kid (approx. 17-18 years old, 200 pounds) was NO WHERE to be found. After unloading the truck, he left out of sheer exhaustion. He wanted no part of the physical labor of moving 300 pound amp racks and speakers.

Then fast forward to now: A Co-worker in the office asked if I could train his son on car detailing. I was THRILLED someone of the younger generation was interested, and gladly invited him to my house that Saturday to detail a neighbor's car. The young man (approx. 24-25) asked how many hours it would take. I told him "I can't be sure but we should plan on 6-7 hours for a full detail noting we'll be going slower as you will have questions." Saturday came around and needless to say he was a no show. Monday morning I asked the Dad where his son was, and he said "...he didn't think it was going to be that much effort. He figured an hour or two at the most."

(5) Use Uber and other car services.

(6) Interest in cars is often a social thing, shared among people with the same passion just as we Detailers do. As much "social" as kids these days are exposed to (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, etc.) I find very few are able to interact face to face with others in person - which is what passionate car ownership leads to (car shows, working in garages with friends etc.)

(7) Kids these days want immediate satisfaction and owning a car isn't always that way. You save up, your repair parts, you replace parts etc. This all takes time and patience.

Of course this does not apply to all who make up the younger generation.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, congrats on being a go getter so early in life, it has paid off!

I'm into cars but I'm no wrench and I'll admit it right here, right now...I have never changed my own oil and I have never pulled a head off of a car either. I did learn to lash valves on my street racer back in the day because the pushrod liked to go through the rocker arm and I was never in the best part of town when street racing, so I guess I redeem myself there.

Only speaking for myself, I always knew I had 10 thumbs when it came to working on a car but I knew that when it needed servicing get it taken care of...NOW!

That kid thinking a detail was an hour, hell, it takes me a little more than that to wash my car the way I do it and I have a Fiat 500 Abarth, LOL.

I guess this is what we've got to work with, people who can't even have work ethic. I may not be handy with tools but when it comes to work, well, work comes first and foremost, no matter what! Make up for your short comings where you can, always.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Scott, congrats on being a go getter so early in life, it has paid off!

I'm into cars but I'm no wrench and I'll admit it right here, right now...I have never changed my own oil and I have never pulled a head off of a car either. I did learn to lash valves on my street racer back in the day because the pushrod liked to go through the rocker arm and I was never in the best part of town when street racing, so I guess I redeem myself there.

Only speaking for myself, I always knew I had 10 thumbs when it came to working on a car but I knew that when it needed servicing get it taken care of...NOW!

That kid thinking a detail was an hour, hell, it takes me a little more than that to wash my car the way I do it and I have a Fiat 500 Abarth, LOL.

I guess this is what we've got to work with, people who can't even have work ethic. I may not be handy with tools but when it comes to work, well, work comes first and foremost, no matter what! Make up for your short comings where you can, always.

Klasse Act. - well said my friend. I've always said cars are half effort and half pleasure - as are most things in life.

ScottH

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast