autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Incredible.

Is there a way to agree with a post more than 100%?

You said a mouthful, there.
    While I'm at it...do you think that some of the "anti-science", "anti-intellectualism" that seems to be prevalent, has to do with people not being exposed to science and engineering in their work? I have to say personally, that when I was in high school, a lot of the stuff in science classes seemed boring and abstract, until I got old enough to get an after-school job, and then suddenly there was a new context to science classes.

When you see things being made, and see machines doing work, it makes you see how math, science, education and knowledge come together, makes you appreciate design and analysis, etc. etc. Think about all the young people in China and Mexico and countless other countries, and what they are learning and seeing about the world by making things. And here...it reminds me of that Boiler Room movie.

That's not to say there isn't any manufacturing and science and engineering here in the US anymore...it's just not like it was, not around here, anyway. Well, time for me to go back to yelling at those darn kids to GET OFF MY LAWN!

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well one little point in all that I would like to speak about is this, I'm no wrench and never will be. That said I eat, sleep and drink all things cars. I remember being about 5 yrs old and asking older kids in the neighborhood to write car related things on my Big Wheel. My first bike was a used Schwinn StingRay, emerald green and yellow and I waxed it every weekend and when I got it dirty going on trails my Dad got on me about it. I had Moped and put a turbo badge on it from some mid 80's Chrysler. Oh I should mention my early Hot Wheels collection, always something with cars......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    While I'm at it...do you think that some of the "anti-science", "anti-intellectualism" that seems to be prevalent, has to do with people not being exposed to science and engineering in their work? I have to say personally, that when I was in high school, a lot of the stuff in science classes seemed boring and abstract, until I got old enough to get an after-school job, and then suddenly there was a new context to science classes.

When you see things being made, and see machines doing work, it makes you see how math, science, education and knowledge come together, makes you appreciate design and analysis, etc. etc. Think about all the young people in China and Mexico and countless other countries, and what they are learning and seeing about the world by making things. And here...it reminds me of that Boiler Room movie.

That's not to say there isn't any manufacturing and science and engineering here in the US anymore...it's just not like it was, not around here, anyway. Well, time for me to go back to yelling at those darn kids to GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Not only do I think this is true, but I believe this was a purposeful initiative set forth by very intelligent people hired by the highest of the high.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well one little point in all that I would like to speak about is this, I'm no wrench and never will be.
    That's ok...I think there is a sense of community and respect that's been lost in this de-industrialization...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well one little point in all that I would like to speak about is this, I'm no wrench and never will be. That said I eat, sleep and drink all things cars. I remember being about 5 yrs old and asking older kids in the neighborhood to write car related things on my Big Wheel. My first bike was a used Schwinn StingRay, emerald green and yellow and I waxed it every weekend and when I got it dirty going on trails my Dad got on me about it. I had Moped and put a turbo badge on it from some mid 80's Chrysler. Oh I should mention my early Hot Wheels collection, always something with cars......

No need to be a wrench to be a total car guy, Roger.

Your enthusiasm of cars is well known around here my brother.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't have a good answer to the question simply because I am that younger generation and I do have an interest in cars. As a kid I always had an interest in cars, I have always worked at a car dealership (still do, but only part time; it's not my main source of income, but I love cars so I still work there) and I think the fact that I am now on my 3rd car in 3 years says something.

First car. 2014 Civic Si

Second car. 2016 A3

Third and current car. 2018 S5

Post Thanks / Like

Not only do I think this is true, but I believe this was a purposeful initiative set forth by very intelligent people hired by the highest of the high.
    That throws a kind of conspiracy-theory feel on it. If instead you mean that this historical arc was driven by callous greed, and rich, powerful people manipulated things to become more rich and powerful with the complicity of those who might have stopped them, then I agree with you. At some point, the companies and the unions, the rich and the poor, the liberals and the conservatives...instead of seeing each other as in the same boat together, as having to coexist, as some sort of balance, as each needing the other...at some point, it became a zero-sum game, where there was no common interest or common ground.

Sheesh, I gotta save some of this for my book.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That throws a kind of conspiracy-theory feel on it. If instead you mean that this historical arc was driven by callous greed, and rich, powerful people manipulated things to become more rich and powerful with the complicity of those who might have stopped them, then I agree with you. At some point, the companies and the unions, the rich and the poor, the liberals and the conservatives...instead of seeing each other as in the same boat together, as having to coexist, as some sort of balance, as each needing the other...at some point, it became a zero-sum game, where there was no common interest or common ground.

Sheesh, I gotta save some of this for my book.
    I'll buy every copy.

The telling point for me was the greed-induced near collapse of the economy back in 2008 by billion dollar "companies" wanting seemingly every last dollar on Earth.

Who bailed them? Us (little guys).

Who was held accountable? Not any one of them. Not one day of prison that other individual white collar embezzlers incur.

Ahh, sorry. I'm gonna go read your book.............

Post Thanks / Like

Life long favorite...one that was always there all along and then one day it bit me and it's fangs are sooooooo deep I can't get away! Just 2 examples of passion for me, short and to the point (I could do a huge post on the mid-year but I'll resist and the 930 turbo....PLEASE!)

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I'll buy every copy.

The telling point for me was the greed-induced near collapse of the economy back in 2008 by billion dollar "companies" wanting seemingly every last dollar on Earth.

Who bailed them? Us (little guys).

Who was held accountable? Not any one of them. Not one day of prison that other individual white collar embezzlers incur.

Ahh, sorry. I'm gonna go read your book.............
    Ah ha ha...the best in that whole thing was the CEO of Merrill Lynch, who bankrupted the company forcing them to sell to BoA, and got fired for doing so...and collected a huge golden parachute on the way out the door of over $100 million...and, as you note, us little guys were paying bailout money, so some congressional committee had the CFO of Merrill Lynch testifying...to explain why a CEO who got fired for being a bad CEO still got paid 3 years severance or whatever it was...and the answer was (for his $40 million a year salary) "his employment contract didn't have any performance requirements..." WTH!?!?! I bet if I was the guy mopping the floors at Merrill Lynch, my "employment contract" would specify I would get kicked out on my butt with no severance if it turned out I wasn't a good floor mopper.

Anyway, we'd better stop before Klasse scratches his head about how we got on this subject...

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast