My wife needs an MRI. The day after the doctor orders it someone from the insurance company calls her and tells here that if her deductible isn't met he can save her about 2000.00. What a guy, take time out of his busy day to call and save us 2000.00 (sarcasm). He tells her if she goes to Arlington Imaging they'll do it for 685.00 and that will save us about 2000.00.

My wife had googled cash price for an MRI the day before. The cash price is 325.00 at Arlington Imaging!!! So I'm assuming the insurance company pays less than the cash price. So the extra 350-500.00 we would have paid (depending on how much the insurance company would pay) goes right back to the insurance company. If she wouldn't have googled it before he called she sure would have after. An insurance company calling claiming they're going to save you money...hahaha

insurance companies were exposed down here, and I assume everywhere for similar practices. If you went in to get a prescription filled and the cash price was less than co pay the pharmacist wasn't allowed (per the insurance companies) to tell you. If you ask they had to tell you, but if you didn't ask they just charge you the co pay and the extra money goes back to the insurance compay.

We all see where the doctor bills the insurance company 3,000.00 for a procedure and the contract amount is like 800.00. They want to give you the illusion they are saving you all this money. Reality the cash price was probably 200.00 which would be your co pay at 20%. In other words no matter how much it says they paid, it's not reality, I'm sure everyone knew it wasn't reality, but probably didn't realize that sometimes the insurance company not only doesn't pay anything, but actually gets money back.

Bottom line, check cash prices on all prescriptions you get filled, tests you get done, and even surgeries. Not only are insurance companies screwing you on your premiums, they're making profit on the backside too. And there needs to be a lot fewer lobbyists for the insurance industry in Washington.