autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

what to do if in a car accident and the driver at fault doesn't have auto insurance?

what are the options (live in CA) if someone (at fault) hits you and they have NO auto insurance (possibly no registration) and only a valid driver license?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what to do if in a car accident and the driver at fault doesn't have auto insurance?

Did you get the police to the accident site immediately to fully document the accident and lack of insurance etc by the other party ? If not, you screwed up and it's basically over before it started. If so, then you may have half a chance to recover a portion of your loss. Uninsured motorists are an easy target if dealt with correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what to do if in a car accident and the driver at fault doesn't have auto insurance?

I agree with the police should be called no matter what.

I have Erie insurance, I believe your insurance should have similar coverage. Uninsured/underinsured bodily injury and motorist properly damage. I also have full tort coverage, my insurance agent said having this option allows me to sue to damages for pain and suffering. I believe I would have great pain and suffering if the other driver didn't have insurance and had the audacity to be in the road and then hit my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It's California, they will likely just let him go and blame you for a micro aggression if you take it further

In all seriousness, your insurance company will handle things going forward. You will likely incur the claim but they will likely go after him or guide you on how to do so. Talk with your agent and see what he/she says.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

You should have uninsured motorist coverage for such an incident. But like others have stated make sure the police are called to the site from the get go.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, that blows man. This is the prime reason why we (the people who take care of business) pay such high insurance premiums, to make up for those that are lacking. At least that's how it is in Michigan!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    You should have uninsured motorist coverage for such an incident. But like others have stated make sure the police are called to the site from the get go.
    Another sad story. You have to pay because some one else doesn't. Sounds like Obama care. I had that same scenario happen in Arizona, called the police, my insurance (State Farm) fixed my truck.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Having the police on the scene is an absolute must. Beyond that, it will go through your insurance. You will pay your deductible and then the insurance company will go after the at fault party, most insurance companies call this process subrogation. If the insurance company reclaims any monies, you will get your deductible back. I've had one situation where insurance didn't reclaim any money, but gave me back my deductible anyway as they got a judgement against the other party.

I've gotten to a point where I don't even deal with the other party's insurance. I get their info and run it through my insurance and get my deductible back in the end. It's far easier dealing with my insurance as they have no interest in shorting me or trying to take 'betterments' on the work.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest that you have paid your insurance AND agent for how ever long you have had insurance and now you should be seeking advice from the people you have paid HUNDREDS of dollars to. They should be the experts on this and I cant get the point across enough that YOU PAY THEM to cover you so they should have some skin in this game. THEY OWE YOU NOW cause you did your part.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune, that blows man. This is the prime reason why we (the people who take care of business) pay such high insurance premiums, to make up for those that are lacking. At least that's how it is in Michigan!
    We pay high premiums so insurance companies can make record profits every year

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast