autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pool Cover UV Protection

I've been planning to use 303 aerospace protectant on my Coverstar safety pool cover to try to get some extra life out of it. I started applying it but my back and patience can't handle conventional application, it is 20x40 feet. Can it be diluted in water and sprayed on then left to air dry? Any other option? I've been wondering about a AIO interior product that would leave some UV protection behind after cleaning but again I'd like to avoid going over every square inch with a towel. I normally clean a couple times a year with mild detergent using a wash brush on pole and pumping water off. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pool Cover UV Protection

Quote Originally Posted by vlamimc View Post
    I've been planning to use 303
    aerospace protectant on my
    Coverstar safety pool cover to
    try to get some extra life out
    of it. I started applying it but
    my back and patience can't
    handle conventional application...

I normally clean a couple times
    a year with mild detergent using
    a wash brush on pole...

Suggestions?
    Change-out the wash brush on a pole,
    to a paint roller on a pole:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Change-out the wash brush on a pole,
    to a paint roller on a pole:

Bob
    Thanks Bob, I like this idea. Would you suggest wiping dry as instructions state or is leaving to air dry ok? I'm not too worried about a perfect appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of 303 to cover that cover. Just the roller would absorb a 16oz. bottle. Might want to do the numbers and it may be cheaper to just replace it every few years and clean in between.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    That's a lot of 303 to cover that cover. Just the roller would absorb a 16oz. bottle. Might want to do the numbers and it may be cheaper to just replace it every few years and clean in between.
    >$1.5k Pool Cover UV Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vlamimc View Post
    Thanks Bob, I like this idea. Would you suggest wiping dry as instructions state or is leaving to air dry ok? I'm not too worried about a perfect appearance.

Not Bob here; but I use 303 AP regularly on my hot tub cover it does a great job! You can let it air dry if you don't slather it on, no need to. (Just a decent coat will do). I put a relatively thick coat on with a MF applicator and work it in with said applicator. I don't "wipe" it dry and it turns out fantastic. I'm sure a roller on an extension will work well for you.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Agreed on the roller absorption, but the OP could try one of the roller heads used for epoxies that has a 3/16" nap.

I think that would work great combined with Bob's awesome idea.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

A gallon of paint is supposed to cover 400 square feet, but I would think that 303 might get you a little further.

You'd still probably need close to 2 gallons though.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you perhaps apply it with a microfiber mop or swiffer type contraption using microfiber pad

10. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents...

There are really 3 standard types of pool safety covers: standard mesh, high shade mesh, and solid STANDARD MESH: Pro - The standard cover will be the most economical Con - The high amount of light that makes its way into the water column turns the water green with algae in the spring HIGH SHADE MESH: Pro - provides substantial shade to nearly eliminate algae growth in the spring AND islight weight Con - a little pricey SOLID: Pro - The solid cover will completely block any light from entering the water column; therefore, the water should be crystal clear upon opening in the spring Con - a solid cover is much heavier than a standard mesh or high shade mesh All pool covers for example like Buffalo Blizzard Best Pool Covers: 20 Items Reviews and Comparison for 2017-2018 are required by code to hold the weight of a typical 4 person family in a small area (I think it's a 9 square feet). Anyway, most of them can support the weight of a car (and have) without failing. When shopping for a cover you should be most concerned with with the quality of materials. Before you commit to a cover, ask the manufacturer (not the dealer) a few questions: 1) "Do you use cotton or polyester fillers in your webbing?" The webbing is the black straps that are sewn to the cover and attach to the pool deck. Fillers will reduce the life of the cover. 2) "What country does your hardware come from?" The hardware includes the springs, buckles, anchors, etc. From my understanding and experience US metal is higher quality than metal from India, China, etc. Also, in these tough times, I'd rather my money stay local (but that's just an opinion) 3) "What gauge is your thread?" Remember--the higher the number, the thinner the thread 4) "Is your thread chemically treated with UV inhibitors? Treated thread will last much longer than untreated thread. Many dealers won't know the answer to these questions, that's why I suggest you contact the manufacturer directly. Also, I suggest you contact via email instead of telephone to ensure a honest answer. If you are looking for reputable installers in your area, I may be able to help you get in contact with them--just send me a private message. disclaimer: I'm in no way advocating walking on your safety cover. Please do not walk on your safety cover.I like to watch YouTube videos of a similar theme when I'm looking for information about the right product. I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!

YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast