autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Acronym frustration on this board lol

Would it be possible to do away with acronyms on this board? lol. I've taught myself in my job that is acronym intensive to not use them whatsoever when typing because of the massive amount of confusion they ALWAYS create; especially if another group has the same acronym but different meaning. Like for me, everyone keeps calling everyone British Aerospace Engineering (bae) on the internet, and I'm SOO confused. Is there an acronym explanation guide on here by chance? I can't find any.

I mean honestly, I've never seen the reference to the daughter on The Family Guy owning soo many products on here; "Meg's"? Really? What is a "Megs"? lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Acronym frustration on this board lol

For acronyms, I ask what the acronym stands for or ask Google

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just type it in Google like the rest of us until you catch on. Jeez, guys been here a week and he wants the whole site to cater to him. Lol jk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by buddiiee View Post

Would it be possible to do away with acronyms on this board? lol.
    You think acronyms on this forum are bad try texting with teenagers...

Just to note, your frustration comes up once in a while in the forum of a similar post but here's the facts Jack, to quote Bill Murray in the movie Stripes,

From my own observations of typing on the Internet since 1994 and on forum since 2002, people don't like to type out each and very word so it's the lazy nature in people that results in people typing out acronyms.

Nothing is going to change this.

Me? If you read enough of my posts you'll see I rarely use acronyms and when I do I often also share what they mean. I'm a speed typist so it doesn't take me but a few seconds to think out and then type out the actual full length words. I also don't like to frustrate newbies and people new to our forum. (these two groups can be different, a newbie to detailing doesn't mean they are a newbie to forums).

Is there an acronym explanation guide on here by chance? I can't find any.

Typing in Acronyms on AutogeekOnline into Google gave me the below link,

Acronyms

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips

If you click the link below and read the message someone sent me they ONLY used acronyms.

Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax vs Meguiar's UQW - Are they the same product?

I actually added that actual full names for the acronyms that describe the products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You think acronyms on this forum are bad try texting with teenagers...

Just to note, your frustration comes up once in a while in the forum of a similar post but here's the facts Jack, to quote Bill Murray in the movie Stripes,

From my own observations of typing on the Internet since 1994 and on forum since 2002, people don't like to type out each and very word so it's the lazy nature in people that results in people typing out acronyms.

Nothing is going to change this.

Me? If you read enough of my posts you'll see I rarely use acronyms and when I do I often also share what they mean. I'm a speed typist so it doesn't take me but a few seconds to think out and then type out the actual full length words. I also don't like to frustrate newbies and people new to our forum. (these two groups can be different, a newbie to detailing doesn't mean they are a newbie to forums).

Typing in Acronyms on AutogeekOnline into Google gave me the below link,

Acronyms

Hope that helps...

This helps a lot, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be possible to do away with acronyms on this board? lol. I've taught myself in my job that is acronym intensive to not use them whatsoever when typing because of the massive amount of confusion they ALWAYS create; especially if another group has the same acronym but different meaning. Like for me, everyone keeps calling everyone British Aerospace Engineering (bae) on the internet, and I'm SOO confused. Is there an acronym explanation guide on here by chance? I can't find any.

I mean honestly, I've never seen the reference to the daughter on The Family Guy owning soo many products on here; "Meg's"? Really? What is a "Megs"? lol.
    Well, BAe is BAE because they changed the name of the company from British Aerospace to BAE Systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/####/British_Aerospace

Also, FedEx is FedEx because they changed the name of the company from Federal Express to FedEx (I don't really understand that one, BAe changed when they merged with another company).

Acronyms have their place, I understand Mike's reasoning and I understand your complaint, but in some instances acronyms can increase reading accuracy, comprehension and speed. I mean for instance we have a lot of Wolfgang products here with long names, and if you type the whole thing out IMO it might cause someone to misread it, when an acronym might be easier recognized. I understand this kind of cuts both ways and I can see both sides of the argument.

I have also complained that we don't have an up-to-date acronym thread on this forum. In the old days of Autopia we had one, and it worked because members had unlimited edit capablity, so the OP (oops, an acronym--Original Poster) could go back and update his first post to keep it up to day. We can't do that here because we have a short edit window, which avoids a lot of problems with unlimited edit (like members getting tee'd off and deleting all their posts, which can cause a lot of threads to not make sense anymore)

Of course, to (forum-friendly) quote Eddie Murphy from Best Defense: "What the heck is a WAM??"

Oh, and "Meg's" is Meguiar's.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it. I work in nuclear. If you think these acronyms are bad, they don't hold a candle to what I deal with day to day! LOL.

That acronym list is awesome, btw. Extremely helpful.

I really think that people type Meg's because they have difficulty spelling Meguiar's!

Post Thanks / Like

People in the marketing and advertising world use buzzwords and acronyms for everything and it drives me nuts. I have always felt it's partially lazy and partially to make the user feel as if they are more "in the know" on the inside than everyone else. Either way, it drives me insane and I always try to avoid it. Assuming everyone reading your posts or listening to you talk knows what you're talking about is a terrible assumption that you should never make. There are far too many n00bs joining this forum every day, and even for myself who has been lurking here for a while, I still find it infuriating when people casually use obscure industry product names as acronyms like we all know what they are talking about.

In the communications world where I spend my 9-5, you refer to the full name once when you start to talk about the item, then can refer to the acronym every time after that, kinda like the ™ or © symbols in an article or ad.

Post Thanks / Like

[B]
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, BAe is BAE because they changed the name of the company from British Aerospace to BAE Systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/####/British_Aerospace

Also, FedEx is FedEx because they changed the name of the company from Federal Express to FedEx (I don't really understand that one, BAe changed when they merged with another company).

Acronyms have their place, I understand Mike's reasoning and I understand your complaint, but in some instances acronyms can increase reading accuracy, comprehension and speed. I mean for instance we have a lot of Wolfgang products here with long names, and if you type the whole thing out IMO it might cause someone to misread it, when an acronym might be easier recognized. I understand this kind of cuts both ways and I can see both sides of the argument.

I have also complained that we don't have an up-to-date acronym thread on this forum. In the old days of Autopia we had one, and it worked because members had unlimited edit capablity, so the OP (oops, an acronym--Original Poster) could go back and update his first post to keep it up to day. We can't do that here because we have a short edit window, which avoids a lot of problems with unlimited edit (like members getting tee'd off and deleting all their posts, which can cause a lot of threads to not make sense anymore)

Of course, to (forum-friendly) quote Eddie Murphy from Best Defense: "What the heck is a WAM??"

Oh, and "Meg's" is Meguiar's.
    Acronyms never have a place lol. They only have their place to people that can't type, or spell. Period (laughing out loud lol). I've never had a problem typing out what I feel entirely. Honestly, even the average typist only saves a second or less by converting a word or two to acronyms. Going off of that, the only thing left they can do is confuse, costing MORE time for every reader of the post.
    So only the original poster gets to save a few seconds, but now thousands of readers have to spend more time translating. I'd never do that to someone. I'm too considerate lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast