autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Commuting for work - how far is too far?

Hello my fellow geeks!

Like many of us on the forum I work in a different profession by day and let out my inner detailer at night and on the weekends.

That being said, where I am now is a place where I do not see much growth anymore. In fact, I get bored at work and spend the majority of my days browsing the Internet and studying new technologies (I'm a network engineer).

I received an offer for a new job that is absolutely my DREAM job, but it will take my commute from 30 to 60 minutes. They are flexible on work times, and will even allow me to telecommute 1 day out of the week, but I'm just nervous about the longer commute eating into time with my wife and daughter.

So... that being said, does anyone currently have a ~1 hour commute? If so, how do you pass the time so you don't go crazy? I was thinking audiobooks and podcasts would be a good start, but I'm just not sure if the commute will beat me down enough to the point that I regret my decision.

Anyway, thanks for any advice or input you all can offer!

-Nate
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Commuting for work - how far is too far?

When one enjoys their work or job, then you never work another day in your life. Since you like detailing, there are plenty of YouTube videos you could download for the commute. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say if it's your dream job I'd say go for it. I know people who commute 60-90+ minutes each way every day. I guess you have to weigh the pros vs the cons and discuss it with your family and see how they feel about it.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    When one enjoys their work or job, then you never work another day in your life. Since you like detailing, there are plenty of YouTube videos you could download for the commute. Just my 2 cents

Can't watch the videos while I drive

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I'd say if it's your dream job I'd say go for it. I know people who commute 60-90+ minutes each way every day. I guess you have to weigh the pros vs the cons and discuss it with your family and see how they feel about it.
    Yeah, I know that is very common in California, New York, and other places. I talked to my wife about it and she is very supportive. I know this is up to me, but I just don't want to take the job, and 6 months later I really hate the commute. But, it seems doable since a lot of other people take a similar (if not longer), commute. I just like hearing other opinions about it since someone with a different perspective might be able to mention some things I didn't think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@McKees37 View Post
    Go for it.
    Thanks, Nick. I'm leaning that way because everything else aside from the commute is saying GO GO GO! Hopefully the commute won't get to me

Post Thanks / Like

Your wife supports you. Go go. And perhaps down the road a new to you house will be for sale closer to the new job

Post Thanks / Like

I have two colleagues that commute about 72 miles one way from home to work and another 72 back! Here in California traffic gets pretty bad but in order for them to pass by the time they listen to talk radio such as news in order to make the commute faster. 3 days out of the week they carpool in order to beat the traffic (working 8pm start and getting out at 0430). If this is a dream job I say go for it.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    Your wife supports you. Go go. And perhaps down the road a new to you house will be for sale closer to the new job

That's very true. The biggest thing to me is not sacrificing time with my wife and daughter (she's 4 months old, so I don't want to miss her growing up!) The commute is what it is it seems. I think I can just spin that in my favor of making it a personal development hour or something... decompress from the day and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    I have two colleagues that commute about 72 miles one way from home to work and another 72 back! Here in California traffic gets pretty bad but in order for them to pass by the time they listen to talk radio such as news in order to make the commute faster. 3 days out of the week they carpool in order to beat the traffic (working 8pm start and getting out at 0430). If this is a dream job I say go for it.
    That is quite the hike! Comparing my drive to that, it isn't that bad at all haha.

Post Thanks / Like

It can take 45-60 minutes to go 20-25 miles in Tampa during the commuting hours
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    This ^^^^^

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast