autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Commuting for work - how far is too far?

I had a 1 hour commute recently for about 8 months (no longer - now it's 1/2 hour). I'm a pharmacist & one of our very busy stores got run into the ground due to "issues". So, me & another long term guy got booted up there to clean it up... I also work 12 hr days... So it was a long day.

Now, I only work 3 or 4 days a week due to my long hours. Plus, I knew my 1 hour commute situation was temporary...Doing it 5 days a week is going to be a GRIND. Something else important to consider is what the drive is like. My drive was like being on auto pilot. It literally took my the same amount of time down to the minute each day. It you have to deal with possible traffic headaches - that's going to be stressful.

But, it's also important to like the people you work with. While I resented the 1 hour commute, I really didn't make too much noise about it because the people I were working with were just awesome first class talented peeps. I guess if your starting a new job - who knows if you will like them?

I have no problem passing time in the car. I'm a big Stern fan & music fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I have been commuting 30-60 mins a day for past 25 years. Once you get accustomed to it there is no real big deal. If it's your dream job I say...
    GO FOR IT !!!
    My hour long commute has been going on for 25 years also
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    My hour long commute has been going on for 25 years also
    25 years! That's good stuff.

With all the new items available for listening, it seems I can really help make the drives entertaining and/or some sort of self-improvement time. Satellite radio, audible, podcasts, etc....
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

natewood70, I took a job 4 years ago 58 miles from home. It is the best job I have ever had. I genuinely love driving to work every day. I have lots of books on tape to listen to so the time goes fast. I used to live less than a mile from my work place and I thought I would hate the commute, but I love the change.

Andy
    ps My '13 BMW 650iX GC makes the drive a lot of fun as well!

Post Thanks / Like

It's always fun to see the topics that quickly blow up into multi page'rs.

I'll chime with my experience. I've been commuting about 40 miles each way for 7 years now (previously as low as a 12 min drive). I average about 25,000 miles a year. I leave my house at 6am, morning drive takes about 40 min. Coming home, it varies between 45 minutes to 2 hours+ (Minnesota winters) depending on weather/construction/traffic. I'd say homeward bound averages about an hour.

My biggest piece of advice: When asked by a friend how I deal with afternoon rush hour every day (he loses his mind in traffic): Admit Defeat. Once you give into the fact you're not going to be setting any records/really don't have any say in what the drive will be like, it really cuts down the stress. Another friend uses the Waze app to try and sneak around side streets and alternate routes to get home as fast as possible, but I've found comfort in just taking my same route every day and switching to autopilot.

Next: Podcasts. I listen to them all the time in the car. I found with music I actually pay less attention to the road as I almost zone out. Podcasts engage my brain just enough that I honestly feel I pay better attention to my surroundings (and speedometer!). Nice thing about them is you can find them for any topic you might have an interest in. I do a couple detailing ones, movie one, tech one, comic book/movie one or two, and a few others spattered in.

I use the app Overcast, because it gives the option to fine tune your playback speed beyond just 1x, 1.5x, and 2x (I've found 1.25 to be the sweet spot for getting through them faster but not sounding like the chipmunks). It also balances speaking volumes, and has a smart speed option to help trim out dead air when people are talking. Just checked, the app says that feature has saved me 34 hours (!) beyond speed adjustments alone. Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but it's made a big difference in my listening!

Family wise, I have a 2 year old daughter. A lot does fall on my wife with my days being as long as they are. She handles morning drop off for daycare, and picks up 3 days. On average, I see my daughter for about an hour each night before she goes to bed during the week. Wish I saw her more. But, I like my job and reallly like where we live.

Last thing: Be sure to budget for the extra maintenance you'll be doing on your car - Oil changes, tires, brakes. And be sure your car is comfortable to spend that much time in! As I like to say - my A6 makes for a nice place to do my driving business. Bluetooth for both music and phone are definitely nice as well. I use voice commands on the phone to minimize futzing with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Been doing 50 miles daily for 8+ years. About 250 miles weekly. About 40min. one way. At the current gas prices that's about $38 a week give or take. Xterra gas mileage is bad. 17-18 in summer, 16 in winter. Anyway, anything over a hour drive I would move. That's my take.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andy0902 View Post
    natewood70, I took a job 4 years ago 58 miles from home. It is the best job I have ever had. I genuinely love driving to work every day. I have lots of books on tape to listen to so the time goes fast. I used to live less than a mile from my work place and I thought I would hate the commute, but I love the change.

Andy
    ps My '13 BMW 650iX GC makes the drive a lot of fun as well!
    It really seems that this job is the way to go. Room for learning, growth, and an all around awesome place to work it seems. No matter where I go, it seems some sort of issue will exist, so I just have to pick my poison. If it's the longer commute that is the issue, I will just need to find a way to spin that into "me" time. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    It's always fun to see the topics that quickly blow up into multi page'rs.

I'll chime with my experience. I've been commuting about 40 miles each way for 7 years now (previously as low as a 12 min drive). I average about 25,000 miles a year. I leave my house at 6am, morning drive takes about 40 min. Coming home, it varies between 45 minutes to 2 hours+ (Minnesota winters) depending on weather/construction/traffic. I'd say homeward bound averages about an hour.

My biggest piece of advice: When asked by a friend how I deal with afternoon rush hour every day (he loses his mind in traffic): Admit Defeat. Once you give into the fact you're not going to be setting any records/really don't have any say in what the drive will be like, it really cuts down the stress. Another friend uses the Waze app to try and sneak around side streets and alternate routes to get home as fast as possible, but I've found comfort in just taking my same route every day and switching to autopilot.

Next: Podcasts. I listen to them all the time in the car. I found with music I actually pay less attention to the road as I almost zone out. Podcasts engage my brain just enough that I honestly feel I pay better attention to my surroundings (and speedometer!). Nice thing about them is you can find them for any topic you might have an interest in. I do a couple detailing ones, movie one, tech one, comic book/movie one or two, and a few others spattered in.

I use the app Overcast, because it gives the option to fine tune your playback speed beyond just 1x, 1.5x, and 2x (I've found 1.25 to be the sweet spot for getting through them faster but not sounding like the chipmunks). It also balances speaking volumes, and has a smart speed option to help trim out dead air when people are talking. Just checked, the app says that feature has saved me 34 hours (!) beyond speed adjustments alone. Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but it's made a big difference in my listening!

Family wise, I have a 2 year old daughter. A lot does fall on my wife with my days being as long as they are. She handles morning drop off for daycare, and picks up 3 days. On average, I see my daughter for about an hour each night before she goes to bed during the week. Wish I saw her more. But, I like my job and reallly like where we live.

Last thing: Be sure to budget for the extra maintenance you'll be doing on your car - Oil changes, tires, brakes. And be sure your car is comfortable to spend that much time in! As I like to say - my A6 makes for a nice place to do my driving business. Bluetooth for both music and phone are definitely nice as well. I use voice commands on the phone to minimize futzing with it.
    I've heard of the overcast app before, and it sounds really cool. The job comes with a decent bump in pay to more than make up for the added gas and maintenance. I appreciate your in depth information on how you cope with the drive!
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a 180 mile round trip drive that was mostly interstate and I didn't mind it too much. I had a VW Golf and I drove it hard. My advice is to get a car you like to drive and gets decent gas mileage. I found the drive relaxing and it actually gave me time to clear my head after work. The morning drive was the worst, just buy a coffee maker with a timer and set up a schedule where you are not rushing. Learn to enjoy your own company or check out the possibility of a ride sharing program in your area. You would be surprised at the number of people that commute.

Post Thanks / Like

I will chime in as well as my commute just went from 30 minutes one way to 1:15 one way. My wife got her dream job in Madison WisconsinI have been at mine for 20 years in Illinois near the border. If I transfer I lose my bidding seniority, which sucks, plus because of the vast territory our zones cover in Wisconsin, my drive would probably be longer. So we found the house we have always wanted in a small town smack dab between Milwaukee and Madison. In a normal neighborhood with normal neighbors. Here is the kicker... The detached 1000 sq ft garage in the back yard with heat, air, heated floors..... And a proper lift. The drive will suck in the winter, but we love the house.

Post Thanks / Like

If there is bumper to bumper traffice be careful. In frikken CA it can take me 1 hour to go 10 miles during rush hour in the Bay Area. That gets frikken old quick! I talked to my supervisors and was able to come in at 6am to cut my commute time drastically. Some employees tell me they could never get up that early. I tell them I can never be stuck in bumper to bumper wasting my life away. That time back is valuable!

Out here some days have less traffic then others-use that to your advantage and have your work from home days on the most heavy traffic days-PS I would push for two work from home days!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast