autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Commuting for work - how far is too far?

You better plan on moving closer to your new job. 2 hours a day commuting will be a regret with a family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    You better plan on moving closer to your new job. 2 hours a day commuting will be a regret with a family.
    I knew people back when I lived in NJ in the 1970's who commuted 1-1/2 to 2 hours a day each way!

All they wanted was to be away from the cities and in the suburbs to spend peaceful tranquil time with their families on the weekends.

I went to school in Long Island 79-82 and these people got on the LIRR trains every day 2 hours each way so they could live in the country on the weekends. That's the extreme for sure, and I'm sure their are people up there still doing it today.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in NH I used to have a commute into MA. At times, that 45 mile drive could take 3 hours... or more, depending on weather and traffic. The longest it took me to get home once was during a blizzard and it took me 6 hours to get 45 miles. All be it, I see you live in FL, so snow is not a condition to deal with.

What I found after my daily commute was severe sciatic nerve issues, tension, stress, weight gain, my blood pressure went up, and my eating and exercise habits were bad. I left all that to seek another way... "Home Office." I've been Home office for the last 5 years and I hope to NEVER commute again. Now I eat healthy, all my pain is gone, I have time during the day to get in a 20 mile road-cycle.

A "dream job" should include home office, not 2 hrs a day in the quaint village known as "car". Try to negotiate something... If you are the candidate for them, they will work with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bill110 View Post
    I drive 45 min each way. No traffic. Have to because no good paying jobs in my area in my field.. But, I love where i live. 16th fairway butts up to my back lawn and the lake is a 5 min. walk.
    Hey guys, Bill has golf balls for sale. Cheap!!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    When I lived in NH I used to have a commute into MA. At times, that 45 mile drive could take 3 hours... or more, depending on weather and traffic. The longest it took me to get home once was during a blizzard and it took me 6 hours to get 45 miles. All be it, I see you live in FL, so snow is not a condition to deal with.

What I found after my daily commute was severe sciatic nerve issues, tension, stress, weight gain, my blood pressure went up, and my eating and exercise habits were bad. I left all that to seek another way... "Home Office." I've been Home office for the last 5 years and I hope to NEVER commute again. Now I eat healthy, all my pain is gone, I have time during the day to get in a 20 mile road-cycle.

A "dream job" should include home office, not 2 hrs a day in the quaint village known as "car". Try to negotiate something... If you are the candidate for them, they will work with you.
    Really great of you to share that most personal experience, Paul.

I'm happy you have found another path, and wish you guys well out there in AZ.

That said, I've met many people who have no problem jumping on the LIE (Long Island Expressway for those out of the NY area), and jamming 70 miles to work.

Then, there are others (like me) who get pissed at a guy going 20mph on my daily coffee run around the corner. Lol

"To each their own" is an expression, but it certainly rings more true than others.

Post Thanks / Like

My commute is...8-10 steps. It used to be 30-35 minutes. I know a guy who commutes 2 hours each way, and is happy to do so. He's not ashamed to explain why - he met the love of his life, but she couldn't relocate, so he relocated to her.

OP, since they're willing to give you flexible hours, maybe try to start 1 hour earlier than you currently do. Then you have the same amount of time in the afternoon with your daughter, before she gets put to bed.

Like you mentioned, spend the drive time profitably - listen to worthwhile podcasts to learn about a new subject that is interesting to you. Listen to the Bible, if you find it important. There are plenty of ways to use the time well. Also, if you get to telecommute one day a week, you're actually only increasing your away time 3 hours total, right?

Just some thoughts. Maybe too at some point they'll allow you to telecommute more.

On the other hand, you're correct in what's most important, which is family.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaGP View Post
    My commute is...8-10 steps. It used to be 30-35 minutes. I know a guy who commutes 2 hours each way, and is happy to do so. He's not ashamed to explain why - he met the love of his life, but she couldn't relocate, so he relocated to her.

OP, since they're willing to give you flexible hours, maybe try to start 1 hour earlier than you currently do. Then you have the same amount of time in the afternoon with your daughter, before she gets put to bed.

Like you mentioned, spend the drive time profitably - listen to worthwhile podcasts to learn about a new subject that is interesting to you. Listen to the Bible, if you find it important. There are plenty of ways to use the time well. Also, if you get to telecommute one day a week, you're actually only increasing your away time 3 hours total, right?

Just some thoughts. Maybe too at some point they'll allow you to telecommute more.

On the other hand, you're correct in what's most important, which is family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Really great of you to share that most personal experience, Paul.

I'm happy you have found another path, and wish you guys well out there in AZ.

That said, I've met many people who have no problem jumping on the LIE (Long Island Expressway for those out of the NY area), and jamming 70 miles to work.

Then, there are others (like me) who get pissed at a guy going 20mph on my daily coffee run around the corner. Lol

"To each their own" is an expression, but it certainly rings more true than others.
    The LIE, better known as the Long Island Raceway!

I remember some crazy drives on the Cross Bronx Expressway with my dad on the way to Kennedy Airport back in the 1970's, NASCAR style, bumper to bumper at 70 mph. Nobody used breaks or rode their breaks!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

this really is a to each your own type of thing depending of your situation. If you can fit the travel time into your current life without really missing the time lost. do It. I actually live less than 1 mile from my job but travel at least a few days a week to my girls home (only 15 miles away) but takes at least 1hr to get there during normal travel times. Because I hate traffic and have the luxury of stopping at my home before going to work I don't mind the trip. I actually leave her house at 5 am to get home. cuts my travel time in half. Not sure if I would do the commute without these circumstances.

however : dream job= dream money =dream happiness? Decision time! good luck and let us know what you decide to do?

Post Thanks / Like

I have always tried to have as little commute time as I could.

I think you will have to do the math and decide for yourself if it is worth it or nor. The day you can work at home will help with that. How much total commute time do you do right now per week and how much will It be with the new job? Are the advantages you gain from the new job worth the extra time and expenses to the commute? Also, would it be possible for you to move closer to the new work place in the future?

When I calculate my salary, I take into account the commute. So for instance if I need to commute 30 mins in the morning and 40 mins at night I add that to the time worked and divide my salary by the total time spent from leaving in the morning to returning at night. This to me is the most accurate way of calculating salary. Sometimes a job that pays more might not be as attractive when you deduct the commute time and car expenses.

Hope the offer turns out to be worth it for you.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast