autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorilla Glass scratch

Long time lurker, DIY type and spent wayyyyy more than I should (according to wife) on AG over the years.

But I have a Samsung S7Edge with Gorilla Glass 4. Has a small scratch in the screen that was hoping a glaze or a glass coating would atleast hide somewhat. 1/16 - 3/32" long and can just barely feel it with fingernail and 1 more very minor 1/8" scratch that can't be felt but seen when screen is off. Phone is in an otterbox commuter case for drops and to keep screen off surfaces but it keeps peeling off my Zagg Invisible Shield HD protectors on the edges and allowed something to scratch the gorilla glass. Funny that I put Motorola phones through non stop abuse and never scratched but this samsung has been treated well and has already shattered the camera glass and scratched the screen.....

For hiding the scratch, I have tried a few things I had on hand. Rejex sealant, Blackfire midnight sun ivory paste wax, and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. Of those, rejex and the wolfgang did better than nothing and the blackfire did absolutely nothing. I was thinking the wax would be better at hiding than the sealants, but not so much. I had collinite 845 but the person I loaned the bottle to cracked the cap and allowed it to dry out. Other than that, I have Wolfgang Fuzion spray wax. Everything else I have has some sort of polish in it which I am trying to avoid to not strip any of Corning's coatings they apply to the gorilla glass. Looking at glaze options that I can coat with something I have on hand or a wax that is better at filling, or a window/glass sealant that will fill.

Any opinions?

First choice I was considering was Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant since it claims it can fill, somewhat.
    Mothers Professional Hand Glaze and CG EXTREME SHINE EZ CREME GLAZE was another 2 I was looking at. I came across several others like Prima Amigo, Optimum GPS, and Klasse sealant glaze. Not really sure on anything that polishes, even lightly however. I have Wolfgang Uber AIO and Wolfgang finishing glaze, but not brave enough to test.

Thanks for any help. I actually have a couple of similar condition phones at work that need the same treatment thanks to the curved screen allowing protectors to peel or fall off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gorilla Glass scratch

I've only put ceramic coatings on my phones and have never had to (luckily) buff out, or try to buff out, any scratches. Trial and error baby, trial and error!

Post Thanks / Like

That's going to be a tough one to correct. If you find something that works, let us know.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mostly just looking for something to mask it so it's not distracting to the eye while working. I look back and forth between my phone and laptop nonstop when in the field working; programmer in industrial type background.

I am leaning towards CG Glossworkz glaze and then top it with something I have on hand.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    I've only put ceramic coatings on my phones and have never had to (luckily) buff out, or try to buff out, any scratches. Trial and error baby, trial and error!
    What coating have you had good luck with on your phone?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Slackwolf View Post

Mostly just looking for something to mask it so it's not distracting to the eye while working. I look back and forth between my phone and laptop nonstop when in the field working; programmer in industrial type background.

I am leaning towards CG Glossworkz glaze and then top it with something I have on hand.

My guess is your intentions are great and I admire your passion for perfection but I don't think you'll be able to fix this issue.

Anything strong enough to abrade the material is likely going to remove one defect and replace it with its own defects.

I can't think of anything that would actually fill the defect and also be invisible and also hold up to continued "touching".

Not trying to go negative on you but I've polished out about everything under the sun and this is just my take.

By the way, my brand new Lifeproof case for my iPhone has recently picked up a scratch about 5/16" long and I'm in the same position.

I don't believe or think I can remove it so I'm going to simply live with it and try to be more careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slackwolf View Post
    What coating have you had good luck with on your phone?
    I have used CQuartz Finest on my current Sony Xperia Z5 premium and my iphone before that. Fly by 30 or Fly by Forte would be a good suggestion too. I basically wanted something to help make it harder to smudge and easier to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC Gorilla Glass has a special coating on it that aids with the scratch resistance of the glass. Any polishing will likely remove this special coating and leave your phone's screen even more susceptible to scratches in the future.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt any thing you do will hide/fix your phone. My first smart phone 8 years ago I dropped and broke the glass, since then I've put an OtterBox on it and hasn't broken or scratched at all. Do thirty make a heavy duty case for your phone? The commuter type are useless

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I highly doubt any thing you do will hide/fix your phone. My first smart phone 8 years ago I dropped and broke the glass, since then I've put an OtterBox on it and hasn't broken or scratched at all. Do thirty make a heavy duty case for your phone? The commuter type are useless
    Ive had motorolas in otterbox defenders, commuters, and naked without issues. This samsung is a bit more brittle. A plastic corner of my dell precision laptop is what scratched the screen.... plastic!

The camera glass shattering is a common thing and it is fairly well inset and protected as well as every other case. $50 repair there.....

The defender case for this phone offers nothing for screen once the screen protector falls out. Sloppy fit caused more harm than good. Curved screen threw otterbox for a loop apparently. It came out many months after had phone but I still tried it. Commuter was only option when released and zagg invisible shield hd for screen. Zagg peels, commuter does decent for drops. Been tested well. Screen is still vulnerable on rough surface. In this case, a plastic edge. Pelican case is same situation as the otterbox. I tried about 6 cases before went back to commuter.

Just pisses me off that plastic is what scratched it.

Gorilla glass supposedly (i have my doubts) has the coating for scratch resistance that i don't want to polish off. That's why i was looking for a straight up filler heavy glaze that did not polish. Not too worried about longevity as long as it'll cut down on being noticeable when trying to focus back and forth in field. Funny how something like that can draw your attention when doing 10 things at once while looking back and forth between 3-4 screens.

Thanks for the input from all. I may expirement as the sealants definetely helped with smudges through day.

This is android phone #7 or 8 through years plus ios devices and random pre android smartphones. Had experience mostly with moto, but most had gorilla glass of various generations. Never had a gorilla glass act this soft or phone feel this brittle.