autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabin Air Filters

I figured since we here are car people, I would ask for some input on this. My 200 is my first car that I am aware of, that has a cabin air filter. When do you change them? Is it based on time, I know it sounds silly but, mileage? Just curious on what you folks recommend/do!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cabin Air Filters

Look in the scheduled maintenance book. Usually tells you when and the mileage as well.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Sad to say I never thought of that, LOL. I was sitting here thinking about it looked on FRAM's website, found nothing. Thanks Tom!

Post Thanks / Like

I just changed mine after 3 years, with low mileage (11,000) and is was in fair condition. Could have been blown out with comprised air and reused but I changed it.

I think mileage is more important than time unless you frequently drive in a dusty area.

Post Thanks / Like

Too many variables to give a precise answer, i.e., usage (mileage), conditions (environment), etc. Manufacturers most likely recommend replacement based on a period of time and/or mileage, but that assumes "normal" operating conditions. I'd simply take a look at the filter at or near the recommended replacement interval and use it's condition as a basis for replacement, and then use your findings to plan for future replacement intervals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick search shows it looks like Chrysler recommends every 16k. I work on Audis and BMWs for a living, they have recommendations ranging from 20k, 30k, to every 2 years depending on the model year.

I like 2black1s advice. Be sure to stick to quality filters (sorry, Fram may not fit the bill- be sure to compare to your original), as I see a lot of cheap filters with really poor fitment.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably once a year or so. Check it and see how bad it looks. Remember, you are breathing whatever the filter is filtering, not your car! I try to change them once a year. I actually bought a K&N cabin filter so I will never have to replace mine, just clean it. (yes, K&N makes washable cabin air filters).

Post Thanks / Like

I used Frams info just to see what they said. I was planning on picking one up at the parts dept. when I get my next oil change. Still has the original filter in. The one thing I keep thinking about is moisture. In Michigan we have high humidity, and was thinking over time it collects on the filter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey HAMMER77...

I'm an an auto tech by trade. When to change it depends on where you live. As a rule of thumb, I change mine out on my Camry every 6 months. Keeps the evap coil from getting dirty, which will kill the ecap core, and most likely cause a leak or decreased airflow and cooling.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

I change mine once a year, and I'm ALWAYS shocked at just how filthy it is (and I hardly run the air!). Well worth every penny ($20-$40 depending on the vehicle). It's something you can change yourself too: pop the glove box out (most cars) and there it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast