autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever detail a piano?

I know, I know, this is auto geek and people discuss detailing cars, boats, and the like. But, I figured I'd ask anyway in case anyone has ever come across my issue.

I recently purchased a 1982 Yamaha U3 piano for my 7 year old son from a private seller. The piano has a black gloss finish to it. Mechanically the piano is in pristine condition. It's an absolute gem. Cosmetically, to 99% of people the piano is prestine as well. When you look into the finish it's like looking into a mirror. However, I fall into that 1% that sees the microscopic swirl marks under the right lighting.

Has anyone here ever detailed a piano with a high gloss finish to remove the swirl marks? I am scared to try anything. Most info I find online like YouTube and google is basically people dusting them and using polish but based on the way I see them doing it I feel like they are only instilling more swirl marks. I haven' seen anyone try to remove swirl marks from a piano.

Anyway, If anyone has any advice I'd definitely appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

W
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone ever detail a piano?

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    I know, I know, this is auto geek and people discuss detailing cars, boats, and the like. But, I figured I'd ask anyway in case anyone has ever come across my issue.

I recently purchased a 1982 Yamaha U3 piano for my 7 year old son from a private seller. The piano has a black gloss finish to it. Mechanically the piano is in pristine condition. It's an absolute gem. Cosmetically, to 99% of people the piano is prestine as well. When you look into the finish it's like looking into a mirror. However, I fall into that 1% that sees the microscopic swirl marks under the right lighting.

Has anyone here ever detailed a piano with a high gloss finish to remove the swirl marks? I am scared to try anything. Most info I find online like YouTube and google is basically people dusting them and using polish but based on the way I see them doing it I feel like they are only instilling more swirl marks. I haven' seen anyone try to remove swirl marks from a piano.

Anyway, If anyone has any advice I'd definitely appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

W
    i think miguiars has a section for wood polishing

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't ever polished a piano, & to be honest, I don't know a thing about how they are painted but I have seen many pianos that desperately needed polishing.

Here's my advice - instead of trying to remove the defects & putting the surface at risk, why not give CarPro Essence+ a shot. Essence+ is a non abrasive product but it has long term filling capabilitie. For a product that was intended as a polish for coated paint to repair minor swirls in the said coating & add a super hydrophobic layer, it is also a very handy one step product, even on paint thats boardering on ugly. It's great stuff, very safe (important in this instant) & worth a go, & hey - if it doesn't get the desired results, you'll have a great LSP for your car.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Since it is black in finish, then one can of course assume a paint, and not actually polishing-treating "wood". Doubtful Lacquer, but you never know, but more likely some type of acrylic finish.

I would guess a Glaze would work well, contain no abrasives, fill and hide minor swirling. Poor Boys World Black Hole Glaze would be one product I myself would probably look to. Or a good Hand Glaze from the likes of 3M Company.

Then perhaps using a simple guitar polish spray from the likes of Fender, Gibson, Martin would be fine. The finish is probably quite similar to that of an Electric Guitar.

I'd say probably yes too, to an all in one product like Carpro Essence, again works-acts like a glaze-cleaner that will fill minor swirling, but also leave behind a durable protective scratch-mar resistant coat.

Could a D/A be used? Possibly yes, with ultra soft finishing-waxing foam pads, low speeds, and again with such products like I mention above.

With any product, test in an inconspicuous place first.

Post Thanks / Like

The Yamaha drums I had were sprayed with a hard clear. I've had success with Meguiar's M09 in some cases. One guitar (Jackson USA custom) I did needed compound to remove the scratches.

I did my dw drums with Menzerna SF4000 (3500 today), a blue 4" buff and shine pad, and my pc.

The piano should be no different than that Yamaha drum set I had.

Start with your least aggressive in an inconspicuous area to start.

Post Thanks / Like

It is an acrylic finish... have a piano with a black finish. I've been wanting to clean it up myself. Up till now I've only used glass cleaner on it for dusting. If you do use Essence (or whatever), let me know how you make out. FYI- the fish is pretty hard nd durable, so don't think you will kill it right out of the gate.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

I've used black hole & natty's blue.

Worked well.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a quick search, and this Piano is said to have a polished Polyester finish.

Surely not an inexpensive piano I see, with an MSRP of over $14,000.

Rule of thumb, use the least aggressive methods and products first. And see where that gets you

Post Thanks / Like

There's good info over at Pianogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

parshooter, I actually googled that, lol.

everyone else, thank you. I appreciate the suggestions. I'm having second thoughts about applying automobile products on the piano. I did order a piano specific polish called cory care along with a product they call key-brite. It arrived in the mail today. I will use it but I don't just want to shine it up, I want to remove the swirls. Being that i'm too scared to try that, maybe I will use a filler like product as some have suggested. Gotta think about this one a bit.

As a side note, I also ordered something called "the miracle cloth". People on the piano boards recommended it for polishing the brass pieces like the inset lettering and the pedals. I will report back and let you guys know if it really does work. The funny thing about the miracle cloth is that on the website they said you can use it to polish your car, bumpers, rims, etc.... I won't be trying that, but I thought it was funny.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast