autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Tax Experts?

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice, I have tried to solve this issue on my own but don't seem to be getting any where.

My wife got a letter from our local tax office stating that she owes 71 dollars from the 2014 tax year. This is the first time we have gotten any notice about this. Basically, the info reported on the local tax form was incorrect according to the audit. ( I live in PA, Lehigh County)

I now do my own taxes now, but for that tax year a CPA did them. What happened, according to the CPA is that box 1 and box 18 wages differ, box 18 had a lower figure. I was told that he followed the directions exactly and reported the income in box 18 and paid the local tax owed as a result.

The audit letter states that we reported the wrong income (they wanted income from box 1) as a result we owed the difference plus a penalty and a failure to pay fee. I called the IRS spoke to 3 people and was on the phone for over 2 hours! The kicker, no one knew the answer as to why the boxes 1 and 18 were different. They didn't even know if the boxes are allowed to be different! I asked the simple question " if the IRS doesn't know this answer how did the audit turn up that my wife owes money?" No one could answer that either.

I know it's a small amount, but it's the idea behind it. The company my wife worked for in 2014 was terrible, the boss sent W2 out late pay checks were wrong etc, I told the local IRS office about this back when things occurred nothing got done. I also thought a law was in place stating employers need to take out the exact amount of local tax, they never took corrects amounts out. We even had them manually change the percentage even then there were issues.

If this is the employers fault how do we get this resolved? I didn't call the old employer yet as they are morons and I know nothing will get done, but I will call if needed. I was hoping the IRS could say "employers issue this is what you do" but that was not the case. I have until 2/13/17 to pay the owed amount, hoping to have his resolved by then.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Tax Experts?

Pay the $71 and get on with your life. It's not worth the agita.

Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb5450 View Post
    I now do my own taxes now, but for
    that tax year a CPA did them.

What happened, according to the CPA is
    that box 1 and box 18 wages differ,
    box 18 had a lower figure.

I was told that he followed the directions
    exactly and reported the income in box 18
    and paid the local tax owed as a result.
    Just wondering...

•The CPA, themself, "paid the Local Tax"?

•Wouldn't/won't the CPA go with you
    (or, in your stead) to the IRS to explain
    their computations firsthand?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the CPA took our check and mailed everything in to the IRS. I have an email out to the CPA asking how to proceed with this but haven't heard back yet. I am hoping he takes some responsibly and knows what to do in order to fix this. I was just trying to do my own research to fix the issue as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb5450 View Post
    Yes the CPA took our check and mailed
    everything in to the IRS.

I have an email out to the CPA asking
    how to proceed with this but haven't
    heard back yet.

I am hoping he takes some responsibly
    and knows what to do in order to fix this.
    I was just trying to do my own research
    to fix the issue as well.
    ^^^ ^^^

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Update: CPA states that he is obligated to use what is on the W2 since W2 states box 18 as local tax he used that. IRS called back and stated CPA should have used box 16 state tax. State and local income was different according to the W2. CPA says employer is at fault for this. IRS says CPA should know not to use box 18 as employers are not obligated to match local and state wages??? Currently waiting for IRS to look into this more. Basically a huge urinating contest between IRS CPA and employer. This is turning into a huge pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Bewtween $71.00 and getting the IRS off my back, I'd pay the $71.00 all day long.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Bewtween $71.00 and getting the IRS off my back, I'd pay the $71.00 all day long.
    I agree, I just hate letting things go without a fight, I'm stubborn. I am thinking it is truly not worth the fight though.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar thing happen two years ago. Got a letter saying I owed some odd dollar amount. After about a week of phone calls, voice recordings, and back and forth, without so much as a hint of getting closer to the answer, I gave up. Frustrating as that was. In the overall picture, it was less than 3% of what my tax bill was. Can mistakes me made? Sure. Is it worth the time and frustration to figure it out? Only you can decide. For me- my fight lasted a week + a couple hours on the phone, a lot of that with no one on the other end of the line. I do wish you luck though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I had a similar thing happen two years ago. Got a letter saying I owed some odd dollar amount. After about a week of phone calls, voice recordings, and back and forth, without so much as a hint of getting closer to the answer, I gave up. Frustrating as that was. In the overall picture, it was less than 3% of what my tax bill was. Can mistakes me made? Sure. Is it worth the time and frustration to figure it out? Only you can decide. For me- my fight lasted a week + a couple hours on the phone, a lot of that with no one on the other end of the line. I do wish you luck though!
    Thanks for the support, hearing everyone say pay it and move on makes a lot of sense. I get too worked up about these kinds of things and usually forget that my time and added stress isn't worth the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast