autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving - What is best way to prepare product for movers?

Within the next the next 3 to 4 months, we will be selling and relocating.
    We'll need to pack up product for the business and have it shipped with the movers.
    I saw a recent post where someone discussed this and looking for more info.

As you can tell by the photo's, our product lines run wide and deep. Photo's below don't include the hard assets (polishers, pads, bins of MF's, and detailing tools, steamer, carpet extractor, etc... ) Any input or info would be appreciated.

I already got a quote from Intercity Lines on shipping my Mustang...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving - What is best way to prepare product for movers?

Not sure how far of a move, but I would try to send some of the expensive stuff in rubber maid tubs and ship them inside the trunk of the Mustang. As for the big bottles pack them tight and tape the tops like some of your stuff already is. Just a thought. Best of luck with the move

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Not sure how far of a move, but I would try to send some of the expensive stuff in rubber maid tubs and ship them inside the trunk of the Mustang. As for the big bottles pack them tight and tape the tops like some of your stuff already is. Just a thought. Best of luck with the move
    2600 miles... I thought of using the Mustang as transport, but also concerned about heat. Also Mustang is ragtop... Trunk space is at a premium to say the least. Good thought tho!

Post Thanks / Like

When I moved (1,500 miles), my mover refused to transport most of my detailing chemicals. You could pre-pack this stuff and label it something creative like "Garage Junk" but remember that these boxes get piled high in a moving van and if a leak occurs or a jug breaks everything under the carton could likely be ruined. Depending on the size of the load and distance of the move, sometimes the movers have more than one persons goods in the trailer so your liability could be high if something leaks. If you do choose to pack up your own boxes of chems, I'd recommend putting them in large zip-seal bags and heavily wrapping the bottles/jugs in bubble wrap.

Also consider the temperatures during your move. Just remember these trailers are not heated or air conditioned and your stuff could be damaged before it gets delivered.

You could pack your stuff up and take it to UPS or FedEx if the movers refuse to ship it.

You could move some of your supplies in your personal vehicle.

Finally, you could consider selling your stuff and replacing it when you arrive. The moving/shipping expense would partially offset the cost of re-buying it.

I also shipped my MR2 via transport. I stocked up the trunk with all sorts of microfibers, pads and other cleaning materials. It was packed full.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is the moving company won't touch the chemicals. They wouldn't move a bottle of washer fluid, I doubt they'll move detailing chemicals, simply because they don't know and they'll always er on the side of caution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post
    When I moved (1,500 miles), my mover refused to transport most of my detailing chemicals. You could pre-pack this stuff and label it something creative like "Garage Junk" but remember that these boxes get piled high in a moving van and if a leak occurs or a jug breaks everything under the carton could likely be ruined. Depending on the size of the load and distance of the move, sometimes the movers have more than one persons goods in the trailer so your liability could be high if something leaks. If you do choose to pack up your own boxes of chems, I'd recommend putting them in large zip-seal bags and heavily wrapping the bottles/jugs in bubble wrap.

Also consider the temperatures during your move. Just remember these trailers are not heated or air conditioned and your stuff could be damaged before it gets delivered.

You could pack your stuff up and take it to UPS or FedEx if the movers refuse to ship it.

You could move some of your supplies in your personal vehicle.

Finally, you could consider selling your stuff and replacing it when you arrive. The moving/shipping expense would partially offset the cost of re-buying it.

I also shipped my MR2 via transport. I stocked up the trunk with all sorts of microfibers, pads and other cleaning materials. It was packed full.

Good luck
    May have to do the option of pre-pack and label garage junk. Otherwise thousands of dollars (literally) is at stake here.
    Funny that UPS will ship it from AG to my house but not a moving company. I'm guessing has something to do with licensing and transporting chemicals.
    Personal vehicle is going to be tight... Two adults and a full sized greyhound in a Honda Fit. LOL for about 5 days.

I guess I could do the FedEx/UPS rout, makes the most sense... Will be the safest, plus I can insure it.
    If I had to do it all over again, I would never buy in such bulk.

Post Thanks / Like

2600 miles is quite a haul, gotta be close to California. Couple of thoughts: Get a U-Haul trailer & pull it on the back of the car. Guess you also could rent a small truck & pay someone to drive it but that would get maybe as expensive as a pro mover, what with hotel stays on the trip & an airplane ticket for the return; there are people who move things around & aren't working for moving companies.

Post Thanks / Like

The US Department of Transportation and federal law (Title 49, specifically) governs the transportation of hazardous materials. Truck drivers moving hazardous materials are required to have a Commercial Driver's License (cdl) with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (hme). A placard (the usually orange, red, or yellow squares rotated 90 degrees) for the type of materials being transported must be displayed on the truck. My guess is that movers find it easier to refuse to transport any materials that "might" require them identify the type of material and follow the DOT requirements. UPS and FedEx are much better prepared plus Autogeek can easily provide MSDS for anything being shipped. If you are driving to your new home, maybe you can rent a small UHaul trailer and transport your supplies yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Helltopay, pretty much what you said.

As suspected we met with Mayflower today and they said "NO!" to the supplies. Fed Ex said No, but UPS said yes. So shipping it is... ;-)
    Hopefully this clears up the matter for all others looking to do the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Thanks for the reply Helltopay, pretty much what you said.

As suspected we met with Mayflower today and they said "NO!" to the supplies. Fed Ex said No, but UPS said yes. So shipping it is... ;-)
    Hopefully this clears up the matter for all others looking to do the same thing.
    FedEx must not realize how much of this stuff they're already shipping around the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast