autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Hunting tips?

I recently bought 2 M-4's (Smith Wesson M&P 15 and Colt Competition) when I found out that California was going to banned them starting 2017, I wanted to get my hands on a Colt 1911 .45 but since they fell off the list starting 2017, came to find out that they were 100 available and it was too late. I actually been wanting to go hunting (I live in So. California) in which one of my friend father in law goes frequently in which I want to go experience. I got the information to go for classes as required. I am unsure on which hunting rifle to get for hunting in which I do want to get a Winchester 30-30 Pre 94 model but also been wanting to get a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308. Anyone here have some input what will be a good hunting rifle? Plan on finding Bambi and Pumba.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunting tips?

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    I recently bought 2 M-4's (Smith Wesson M&P 15 and Colt Competition) when I found out that California was going to banned them starting 2017, I wanted to get my hands on a Colt 1911 .45 but since they fell off the list starting 2017, came to find out that they were 100 available and it was too late. I actually been wanting to go hunting (I live in So. California) in which one of my friend father in law goes frequently in which I want to go experience. I got the information to go for classes as required. I am unsure on which hunting rifle to get for hunting in which I do want to get a Winchester 30-30 Pre 94 model but also been wanting to get a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308. Anyone here have some input what will be a good hunting rifle? Plan on finding Bambi and Pumba.
    What game are you hunting and what calibers are allowed in your area for said game?

Side note the CA laws on guns are a forever deal breaker for my ever ever wanting to live there. No way. That and vehicle modifications will forever keep me out.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean I had a 94 Astro in which I wanted to throw in a 350 Block but California said no way!

I haven't checked on the caliber for the game in which I hope they do not say something like a .22 or something ridiculous like that. As from what I heard most use a 308 round or 30-06.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought 2 M-4's
    (Smith Wesson M&P 15 and
    Colt Competition)
    ^^^Nicely Done!!^^^

If you're not planning on auditioning
    for roles as a Big Game hunter (where
    magnum rounds are more likely to be
    fully appreciated)...

then hunting rifles that are chambered
    for .308 Win/7.62x51mm NATO will
    more than likely fill the bill. (Keep in
    mind that 22" barrels are the norm.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I was aiming for that round, as for pistol I think that I should be good with my Springfield 1911-A1, unless I also decide to get me a Desert Eagle .44

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't checked on the caliber for the game in which I hope they do not say something like a .22 or something ridiculous like that. As from what I heard most use a 308 round or 30-06.
    You'll be good with either. .308 will take down any North American Animal. Check your local laws though on what game can be hunted and with what caliber. I thank heaven every day that the wife and I have 50 acres of our own out east of where we are where I can get away with nearly whatever I want.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I like that you have looked into the hunter safety classes for hunting. As far as a caliber.....308 is a good round. Magnum rounds are good if you are looking to reach out there. That being said if you practice enough a .308 will get out there too.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Either the 30.06 or the .308 would be a reliable game-taking round. Personally, I think the 30-30 is a bit more of a shorter range round than the other two. A 12 gauge (with a rifled barrel & scope) would be a good choice for ANYTHING North America has .... including Moose and Elk (A friend used one for feral hogs that were bigger than he was and about 300 pounds heavier).

BUT!!! shot PLACEMENT is king. If you don't hit where you need to, it doesn't matter what you're using. Practice (a lot) at the distances you plan on shooting to raise the odds of getting that good shot in under pressure (excitement).

All that being said, find out what your state allows and choose from there, I know Ohio doesn't allow rifle for deer etc so we have to use a shotgun w/slugs (makes no sense to me either). A shotgun slug will pass through almost anything and keep on sailing down range like a freight train, where a rifle bullet usually will tear itself to pieces once it hits something solid, or even semi-solid object.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

This may sound like a silly question, but what caliber centerfire rifles have you shot?

I ask because I agree that a 30.06 or 308 are great all around choices, but not everyone can handle the recoil of an '06. If you're hunting ranges are kept modest, like under 400 yards, you can likely use most calibers from 243win on up. Many people use a 223 on deer. However I prefer a little more power.

As has been said, practice and become good with your gun. A well placed shot is more important than caliber. Tracking in the dark as the rain is starting to fall makes for a miserable night. You also owe it to the animal for an ethical harvest.

I personally use a 270win and have found it adequate.

Post Thanks / Like

My last real "Hunting Rifle" is a 22-250 700BDL.
    And I haven't actually gone hunting in 30 years.
    Plus, since I live in California I have moved all my "good stuff" to Nevada
    The only thing I am keeping in California is a couple of revolvers and a pair of Benelli Shotguns. I even moved all of my reloading supplies to Nevada along with all my "excess" ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast