autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody Here Laptop/Computer Savy?

I'm on the hunt for a new laptop. I want a windows based machine to be able to run HPtuners. Budget is 2k, I'd be using it to organize and play my music (about 150+ gb worth) typical internet surfing, and video editing.

Also, anybody know of a good video editing software that automatically syncs audio to video like Final Cut Pro does? I record the audio with a separate audio recorder and have to sync the audio with the video.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody Here Laptop/Computer Savy?

I'm sure you will get as many opinions as there are brands. I would suggest Lenovo for something of that caliber/expense.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a MacBook Pro candidate. If your hp tuners are windows based, you can always load VM Fusion and run a Windows VM.

Post Thanks / Like

Are video and associated audio stored on a separate external/network drive? It's ridiculous how fast storage gets eaten up these days. Can you do the same with your personal audio and play from an external drive? Just looking for ways to avoid needing a large capacity internal drive since it would be ideal to have an SSD (rather than platter) for the operating system and main programs; large capacity SSDs are still relatively expensive in laptops.

How many years do you plan to use this machine?

I don't have any good recommendations, but those two factors should help the experts pin down a good option or at least provide some good criteria to look for.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Sounds like a MacBook Pro candidate. If your hp tuners are windows based, you can always load VM Fusion and run a Windows VM.
    Yup- my husband uses HP Tuners on his MacBook Pro.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

$2,000 is a pretty good budget, and looking at HP Tuners VCM Editor (assuming that is what you run) it has pretty reasonable minimum requirements.

Video editing seems to really be where you'll need the extra "umph," so a lot of great options out there.

If it were me, I would go with a Lenovo X1 Carbon. You can get one built out with these specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-6600U
    RAM: 16 GB
    Storage: 512 GB SSD
    Screen Size: 14" 2560x1440

The price tag on this is $1,570.50 according to Lenovo's site, so you might be able to find it cheaper... But for me, Lenovo has always been rock solid when I have compared it to others like HP, Toshiba, and Dell. I don't mess with Mac's personally. My wife does, and her Macbook works for what she needs, but for me I can't come around to comparing raw specifications and shelling out an additional 25% just because it has an apple logo.

Do you have any sizing requirements for the screen or weight? Do you want a touchscreen? That will also help to drive the conversation to a better suited product for your needs and wants.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    I don't have it yet but I think they're all windows based. I like the Macbook Pro's but dollar for dollar, they're extremely expensive. That's what I have now, a late model 2011 Macbook pro. Worked very well for years. It's just recently starting to s*** the bed, I've taken it back and forth to the apple store several times. They'll fix it up and it'll start running like crap again within a few months. I think it's just tired, it's gotten countless hours of use, every since day since I bought it 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Are video and associated audio stored on a separate external/network drive? It's ridiculous how fast storage gets eaten up these days. Can you do the same with your personal audio and play from an external drive? Just looking for ways to avoid needing a large capacity internal drive since it would be ideal to have an SSD (rather than platter) for the operating system and main programs; large capacity SSDs are still relatively expensive in laptops.

How many years do you plan to use this machine?

As long as it runs. I'm hoping for 5 years at least.

I don't have any good recommendations, but those two factors should help the experts pin down a good option or at least provide some good criteria to look for.
    I have my music backed up to an external hard drive, but I want to keep the music on the laptop just for convenience of use. As for videos, I'd probably only keep some on the laptop. Once they're uploaded to Youtube or burned onto a disc, there isn't much reason for me to keep it on my laptop. I'd probably just put those on an external as well just for safe keeping. I want it to last as long as possible. I'm hoping for at least 5 years out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    $2,000 is a pretty good budget, and looking at HP Tuners VCM Editor (assuming that is what you run) it has pretty reasonable minimum requirements.

Video editing seems to really be where you'll need the extra "umph," so a lot of great options out there.

If it were me, I would go with a Lenovo X1 Carbon. You can get one built out with these specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-6600U
    RAM: 16 GB
    Storage: 512 GB SSD
    Screen Size: 14" 2560x1440

The price tag on this is $1,570.50 according to Lenovo's site, so you might be able to find it cheaper... But for me, Lenovo has always been rock solid when I have compared it to others like HP, Toshiba, and Dell. I don't mess with Mac's personally. My wife does, and her Macbook works for what she needs, but for me I can't come around to comparing raw specifications and shelling out an additional 25% just because it has an apple logo.

Do you have any sizing requirements for the screen or weight? Do you want a touchscreen? That will also help to drive the conversation to a better suited product for your needs and wants.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into the Lenovo. Hptuners is cake to run, it's the video editing that requires the most power. If I was set on a macbook pro, I'd just get a cheap laptop to run hptuners before I try to get hptuners to run on my mac. There are some $200 laptops that can run hptuners. Since I need a new laptop all together, I figured I'd get one that can do everything I need it to do.

I don't care too much about a touchscreen and a 15 inch screen would be nice. 17 is a bit big. 13 is nice and portable, but sometimes I wish I had more viewing area so 15 being nestled nicely in the middle seems good.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the surface book? If your thinking MacBook, Apple is having an announcement at the end of the month. Just a few days and an overhaul on the retina MacBook Pro. Perfect time to buy one

-Mr. Slick.
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever is your final decision, keep in mind this:

• HDDs are good and cheap for storage size but they are slow.
    • SSDs are like 5x the speed on average than HDD but not that cheap (2x-3x the price for GB)
    • There are hybrid HDD/SSD but I wouldn't recommend them

Since you are going to edit videos, a 512GB/1TB SSD would be ideal, unless you are editing massive videos.

My recommendation would be a Lenovo since they are very durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slick01 View Post
    What about the surface book? If your thinking MacBook, Apple is having an announcement at the end of the month. Just a few days and an overhaul on the retina MacBook Pro. Perfect time to buy one

-Mr. Slick.
    I was thinking that. I think the 27th they make the announcement. If the prices come down enough, I just might.

What is a surface book? Never heard of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast